PDA

View Full Version : Can I sell my book as both fixed format AND flowable? If so how do I let my readers know there is th

Emma78
07-18-2013, 07:55 PM
I have one beautifully laid out book with plenty of images that is fixed format, Im hoping most readers will purchase this version as the pictures are great. I also turned the same book in to a flowable version with less pictures etc for people that dont have the latest kindle or ibook.
My concern is that Im not sure how people will be able to see that I have two different versions of the book available and they may purchase the less attractive looking book when they could have the beautifully laid out book instead.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

merrihiatt
07-19-2013, 12:38 AM
Note the information in the book description so it is clear what they are getting.

kevinkliu
08-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Emma78,

I'm not sure what you mean for these two different versions? Can you point me to a link so I can understand?

Torgo
08-09-2013, 04:14 PM
I have one beautifully laid out book with plenty of images that is fixed format, Im hoping most readers will purchase this version as the pictures are great. I also turned the same book in to a flowable version with less pictures etc for people that dont have the latest kindle or ibook.
My concern is that Im not sure how people will be able to see that I have two different versions of the book available and they may purchase the less attractive looking book when they could have the beautifully laid out book instead.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I've published picture books in fixed layout (FXL) and reflowable simultaneously. The former was for iBooks - that's all fine. The latter was for Kindle, and specifically Kindle e-ink devices. What that meant was that the file you got depended upon the platform you were using.

This is slightly more complicated now that there's a FXL option for Kindle in the form of KF8. You can make FXL ebooks for the Kindle Fire, for example, or for Kindle apps on tablets. FXL is a poor solution for e-ink, though, IMHO.

Whatever combination of editions you go for, I recommend making it clear in the metadata (in the Description field) that the stripped-down edition is stripped-down. You need to find a way of expressing that without sounding like it's the poor relation. (It kinda is, but you don't want to be apologising for it.) "This is a streamlined edition reformatted for easy reading on Kindle e-ink devices. For the full-colour edition, designed for Kindle Fire, please see here (etc)" Or even just call the FXL edition 'deluxe' - suggest you've added to the basic edition rather than stripping down the deluxe one.