Is the cover counted as page number 1? PLUS other page numbering issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emma78

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im having some issues with page numbering and would greatly appreciate any advice.
Firstly is the cover page counted as page number 1?

Currently my fixed format version of the book is in PDF which I am getting converted to fixed format epub using magicepub.
I reference a lot of pages and also off course have the contents referring to specific pages. So my question is, do the page numbers that are written on each page have to correlate to the actual page numbers of the PDF? (I hope that makes sense!)

Also a lot of picture cross over both sides of the page so there does need to be a definite left and right. Does anyone know if its odd or evens on the left?

Thanks so much for any advice with all of this.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Page 1 generally is the first page the story starts on, be it in a prologue or chapter 1.

If you have have a table of contents, maps, etc, lots of publishers will use roman numerals for those pages before the story starts.

Cover page with title, ISBN, Copyright information, etc does not generally get listed as a page count. Those are legal notice pages.

Emma78

Registered
Reaction score
Page 1 generally is the first page the story starts on, be it in a prologue or chapter 1.

If you have have a table of contents, maps, etc, lots of publishers will use roman numerals for those pages before the story starts.

Cover page with title, ISBN, Copyright information, etc does not generally get listed as a page count. Those are legal notice pages.

Thanks so much for the info, much appreciated.

Another quick question if you have a spare moment: I heard that ibooks or kindle (can't remember which one) needs the actual page count to match the numbering of the pages? Have you heard of this?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Can't say I have and I don't recall any of the Kindle books I have read as including a page # in the header or footer. I never know how many pages a Kindle book is unless I look at the description when I buy it. Kindle tracks by percentage of book read.

Status
Not open for further replies.