Taliban to Malala: No, the reason we shot you is...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I guess if Malala was better educated, maybe she'd know that she got shot in the head not because she advocated that girls should go to school, but because she criticized the Taliban.

"The Taliban believe you were intentionally writing against them and running a smear campaign to malign their effort to establish an Islamic system in (the) Swat Valley, and your writings were provocative," according to the letter, which was dated Monday and released to CNN by a Pakistan intelligence source.

"You have said in your speech ... that the pen is mightier than the sword. So they attacked you for your sword not your books or school."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/17/world/asia/pakistan-taliban-malala/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I wonder if it ever undermines their faith in what they're doing that their ideology can't withstand the examination of a fifteen year old.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
The whole cycle of respecting one's "master" interpretation of belief, especially where it concerns gender is so repressive in so many ways, it's difficult not to feel dizzy at the spin. Thanks for the link!

Nonfic

Thick Fish; Learning About New Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Well that's so much better on the part of Taliban, I guess they aren't so bad after all.

/s

On Malala she's one of the most courageous people in the world, and an example to young people throughout the world.

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
The thing is, it's not even that Malala thinks that the pen is mightier than the sword. Deep down, I think the Taliban agree with her, which is why they're so against any form of "education" that isn't their own (minimal, illogical and uncritical as that learning is).

I must admit, I take great pleasure in thinking of individual Taliban, lying awake at night, grinding their teeth over the fact that the countries with the best education, and the most empowered women, are consistently at the top of the most prosperous list, while every ill-educated, ignorant hell-hole they aspire to is exactly that.

Seeding their own destruction, I would have thought. Perhaps if they'd learned more than grenades and recitation they could follow that thought-trail into something more productive, but I'm not holding my breath.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I must admit, I take great pleasure in thinking of individual Taliban, lying awake at night, grinding their teeth over the fact that the countries with the best education, and the most empowered women, are consistently at the top of the most prosperous list, while every ill-educated, ignorant hell-hole they aspire to is exactly that.
But is that what they think? To me, it seems it would take a True Believer laying awake at night, largely ignorant to what the world at large has or aspires to, grinding his teeth over his certainty that, by ill-gotten means, these degenerates are enjoying an historical blip of positional success, and are very much in need of an iron-fisted toppling.

Johncs

This space for rent
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing really changes, does it?

Charles James Napier
Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs.

But that's just me being intolerant.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The reason the Taliban shot Malala is they are pathetic cowards who fear the bright light one young woman cast into their darkness.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh sure, she criticized them, that justifies it. We wouldn't want anyone thinking they're violent or something.

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Fokker Aeroplanbau

Registered
Reaction score
Website
negationcorner.blogspot.com
Sorry Taliban, we already have our narrative. You shot her because she was a woman and she was educated. She's selling too many things, in too many places, for your actual reasons to matter anymore. So you consider her, perhaps rightfully, a Western hack. Maybe you think that's unfair. Oh well, sucks to suck.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Wait, Fokker, are you saying there is a justifiable reason for shooting a 15 year old girl in the face? That western propaganda is obscuring said reason? That said reason is important and worthy of considering over the fact that they shot someone in the face?

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Taliban, we already have our narrative. You shot her because she was a woman and she was educated. She's selling too many things, in too many places, for your actual reasons to matter anymore. So you consider her, perhaps rightfully, a Western hack. Maybe you think that's unfair. Oh well, sucks to suck.

Lolwat

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Malala was shot because:

"The Taliban believe you were intentionally writing against them and running a smear campaign to malign their effort to establish an Islamic system in (the) Swat Valley, and your writings were provocative," according to the letter, which was dated Monday and released to CNN by a Pakistan intelligence source.

"You have said in your speech ... that the pen is mightier than the sword. So they attacked you for your sword not your books or school.
are idiots."
Fixed it for them.

ETA: Toned down slightly. Don't wanna get in trouble. :)