PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre Typo

AnneMarble
02-16-2006, 04:10 AM
While editing a scientific journal article today, I came across something truly bizarre. In the Acknowledgments section, the authors thanked another scientist for "breading the mice in our animal facility."

Breading the mice?! Ewwww. Besides, doesn't everyone know that mice should be marinated instead?
:wag:

maestrowork
02-16-2006, 04:13 AM
Everyone knows mice, especially the babies without fur, should be dunked in rice wine.

ChaosTitan
02-16-2006, 04:19 AM
Battered and deep-fried is the only way to eat a mouse.

Rat, on the other hand, goes well in a stirfry.....

maestrowork
02-16-2006, 04:22 AM
RUN! PETA is here...

awatkins
02-16-2006, 04:27 AM
Maybe it wasn't a typo. :eek:

poetinahat
02-16-2006, 04:35 AM
Maybe it should have been "beading the mice". Imagine the click-clack of all these little rodents running around with Bo Derek braids.

Or, the squirmiest charm bracelet you ever did see....

ChaosTitan
02-16-2006, 04:38 AM
Or "braiding the mice." Into a nice, decorative chain, perhaps? Something tasteful to hang up around the holidays....and keep the housecat happy.

brokenfingers
02-16-2006, 04:39 AM
I thought it was breeding the mice, but I like all your explanations much better!

ChaosTitan
02-16-2006, 04:43 AM
Breeding? Really? Dang.

Here I was, all ready to start on a new cookbook bestseller: 1001 Ways to Bread Mice, Rats and Other Small Mammals Into Succulent 30 Minute Meals. Rachel Ray would be breaking my door down for this one....

AnneMarble
02-16-2006, 04:56 AM
I thought it was breeding the mice, but I like all your explanations much better!
I hope so, because that's what I changed it to.

As long as he only bred them with each other... :D

Serenity
02-16-2006, 05:09 AM
Who needs to bread mice anyhow? Eat 'em raw, I say. :banana:

Anyhow... this started me thinking. (Oh hush, Chaos...) What is *your* most bizarre typo?

I'll even go first. It's one of my many classics. I was talking about 'scientists' and wrote 'scientits'. To this *day*, I have to slow down and carefully type out each letter.

:e2brows:

poetinahat
02-16-2006, 05:14 AM
Anyhow... this started me thinking. (Oh hush, Chaos...) What is *your* most bizarre typo?

I'll even go first. It's one of my many classics. I was talking about 'scientists' and wrote 'scientits'. To this *day*, I have to slow down and carefully type out each letter.

:e2brows:
This could be a thread unto itself. The one I get wrong every time is 'account'. I get all the right letters, but I put the o in between the two c's.

Not a good look.

Shwebb
02-16-2006, 05:16 AM
I used to work in the business office of a nursing home, and one day I did a lot of memos regarding "nursing shifts." Problem was that on that day, my finger couldn't seem to find the "f" in "shifts."

I was fortunate to have caught all my errors before sending out the memos.

threedogpeople
02-16-2006, 05:38 AM
My funny typo used to happen frequently! When I was finishing my BA, I worked as a paralegal. When I would type Orders of the Court, which should be signed "JUDGE PRESIDING", it would frequently come out "JUDY PRESIDING". More fun but not as binding.

threedogpeople
02-16-2006, 05:39 AM
I used to work in the business office of a nursing home, and one day I did a lot of memos regarding "nursing shifts." Problem was that on that day, my finger couldn't seem to find the "f" in "shifts."

I was fortunate to have caught all my errors before sending out the memos.

R.O.F.L.M.B.O.!!!

ChaosTitan
02-16-2006, 05:45 AM
I have admitted to this is a few other threads, but I replaced the "c" in the word Vulcan with another "v". Let your imagination do the rest.

Shwebb
02-16-2006, 05:48 AM
Oh, here's one done on purpose--my mom used to work for the Bureau of Public Debt, where they handle treasury bonds.

Some guy got fired when they discovered he had stamped all his outgoing packages with the bureau's stamp, minus the "L."

Haggis
02-16-2006, 06:14 AM
I had a character a$$inated one time. Not a good visual at all.http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif

NeuroFizz
02-16-2006, 05:39 PM
While editing a scientific journal article today, I came across something truly bizarre. In the Acknowledgments section, the authors thanked another scientist for "breading the mice in our animal facility."
Hi, Anne

Don't be so sure it was accidental, although you were right to correct it. The acknowledgements section of a scientific paper is the only place were we can cut loose a little. This from the acknowledgements of one of my pubs: "I would like to thank . . . Greg ### and Bill ####### for help in animal collection and for their artillery support in dealing with rattlesnakes."
The article reference is: Journal of Experimental Biology, Volume 114, pages 619-695 (1985).

We collected locusts from the Superstition Mountains east of Phoenix and, yes, we did have to blow away a couple of overly-aggressive rattlesnakes. We put them to good use, though. If properly tenderized, they make wonderful "mystery meat" at a neighborhood BBQ.

Shadow_Ferret
02-16-2006, 06:19 PM
No, no. It was "reading the mice." These are genetically engineered mice for use in spy work. You are given a few mice and this really cool pen that contains an irritant and when applied to the mice's skin, it creates these little welts. You then write messages in brail and when the mouse returns to HQ it is read by the blind.

AnneMarble
02-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi, Anne

Don't be so sure it was accidental, although you were right to correct it. The acknowledgements section of a scientific paper is the only place were we can cut loose a little.
I once saw one that said something like "No graduate students were harmed in the course of this work." :)

Jcomp
02-16-2006, 07:56 PM
I had a character a$$inated one time. Not a good visual at all.http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif

ouch.