PDA

View Full Version : posting seasonal pieces out of season?

fivetoesten
07-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Hey guys,

kind of a stupid newbie question here. I found a few flash-length things I wrote a while back for the now-defunct storypraxis daily prompt site. They are both Christmassy.

Should I wait until it's closer to Christmas, or can I post them now?

If I post, I would post to Polished and Ready, right?

Sophia
07-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Hi fivetoesten!

You can certainly post now, if you want. You have the choice of Polished and Ready (for stories up to 1000 words in length) or the appropriate sub-forum of Share Your Work.

You may want to space out the stories over a few weeks, rather than posting them all at once. Doing this gives you time to mull over the feedback you receive and apply it to a story before moving on to the next. If you can, please also consider writing critiques for some of the other stories posted.

jvc
07-16-2013, 08:06 PM
What Sophia said above.

With seasonal stories, such as Christmas stories, you should get them written and polished way before Christmas if you want to submit them to mags. Whenever I wrote Christmas related stories or articles there was a lead time of three to four months. So, to get into a December edition of a magazine, I would submit them in August. When I was a columnist, I had a little more time and had until the end of September to submit them to my editor.

Fruitbat
07-16-2013, 08:29 PM
I have had holiday stories accepted and published at strange times, but I wouldn't count on it.