n

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I find myself in the odd situation of potentially being offered representation before my manuscript is completed. I don't really know what to do. The agent emailed me because she liked my blog and wanted to know what I was writing. I sent her my working query and the first fifty pages of my manuscript, and she wrote back saying she loved it and would love to represent it, asked about a phone call, etc, very exciting.

But -- it's not finished yet.

Unless you're already a successful writer I'd be concerned about this.

Another thing: I've already promised to submit the full manuscript to two other agents upon its completion. One requested because of the manuscript's thread in QLH and the other requested from my querying him with a different project. I sent both of those the query and first pages of my WIP, and they both wanted to see it upon completion.

That all sounds very good.

This makes me think that the agent who could potentially offer is going against the grain. Should I be worried about that? That she might want to sign me without my having finished the MS? (Especially as a debut author.) Is that somehow shady? She works with an established and respected agency, although she herself is a bit newer to the business.

It might not be shady; but it does sound unlikely. Proceed with caution.

I'm worried that if I talk to her on the phone and she offers representation then I'll sound extremely unprofessional or even mean by saying no. I'm also worried I'll be shooting myself in the foot. These opportunities can't come every day -- what if I'm sabotaging myself by saying no? But the truth is that I was really looking forward to querying this MS. I think it'll have a good response; I was always planning on querying regularly in addition to sending it to the two agents who have already requested.

I don't think it would be unreasonable for you to say that you don't want to accept or reject any offers of representation for this novel until you've finished it. So long as you're polite and respectful, there's no problem there.

I'd really appreciate some advice from those more experienced in the industry. Thanks to anyone who takes the time.

My concerns are mostly that this agent seems to be offering on a book that's not yet finished. I don't know your book: it could have such a startlingly good premise, and be so very well-written so far, that it deserves such a response: if that's true, then you might well find bigger, better agencies happy to represent you; and if that's not the case, then you should proceed with caution.

If you'd like to PM me the names of the agents concerned I'd be happy to let you know if I think you'd be better off avoiding them--or, of course, snapping up their offer right now! In confidence, of course.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Wouldn't this be one of those "if she wants your book now, she'll still want it when it's finished" situations? What's to be gained by limiting your options now, before you've fully explored the situation?

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely talk. Ask about her SPECIFIC plans for marketing an unfinished MS. Could be she knows just the right editor for it. Could be it's such a flavor-of-the-moment more than one editor would be interested. Or it could be she wouldn't offer the unfinished MS but just doesn't want to risk losing you to another agent. Which would be a good sign of her enthusiasm, a critical factor.

So, yeah, talk, but know that you're perfectly within your rights to keep your options open for now.

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
A conversation isn't a commitment.

I would look at it the same way I did when offered an interview for a job before I'd completed my degree. I didn't think I was qualified for the position, but all "local" applicants were guaranteed an interview, and I thought the experience would be good practice for when I was ready for such a position.

I don't see any harm in having the introductory conversation. You get to ask your, "If you were my agent....?" questions and practice not being nervous and overly excited by the prospect. You'll also have a chance to get a feel for whether she'd be the kind of person with whom you'd enjoy working. It's a luxury most writers don't get to have the option to actually choose an agent rather than hoping an agent chooses you. You may find you'd just as soon cross her off your list, or make sure she's one of the people who gets your completed mss.

It would be perfectly acceptable to let her know (at the conclusion of your conversation) that you're not comfortable accepting representation until your book is complete. If you like her, offer that you'll send her the manuscript when it's complete. If you don't, leave it at "not comfortable accepting representation with an incomplete project."

Congrats on the interest from various corners. That bodes well for your future!

DahlELama

Registered
Reaction score
Every single thing Old Hack said. All of that. Yes.

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much everyone. I will definitely talk to her, thank her, and offer to send her the manuscript once it's completed. Surely she'll understand me wanting to wait until I'm ready to send queries out to accept representation. Thanks again :). This has all been exciting and also very, very anxiety inducing.

Last edited:

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
I'd probably respond with something like

"Thank you so much for your enthusiasm! I can't tell you what an ego-boost it is to hear that somebody outside of my own brain is excited about this book too. I'm definitely something of a perfectionist and would prefer not to move forward until I have a complete ms, but I'll definitely have you on the top of my Query List when I am ready to send this out!"

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd probably respond with something like

"Thank you so much for your enthusiasm! I can't tell you what an ego-boost it is to hear that somebody outside of my own brain is excited about this book too. I'm definitely something of a perfectionist and would prefer not to move forward until I have a complete ms, but I'll definitely have you on the top of my Query List when I am ready to send this out!"

Thanks for taking the time to comment! That suggestion is perfect.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
I agree with what others have said (and it looks as though you've already made your decision).

This is kind of the Internet equivalent of being "Discovered" for Hollywood, isn't it? A agent liking your blog and contacting you. Congratulations on having three interested, that's got to feel really awesome!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I've heard of it happening a few times, so it's definitely possible. Just make sure you check the agent's name over in the Beware boards here. If everything looks okay, go forth and send. Good luck!

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello again everyone :).

Just want to report that I've been in contact with the agent. I thanked her for her excitement and enthusiasm (with lots of exclamation points and gushing), but said that I'd like to finish the manuscript before I accept representation (with lots of cringing and trepidation). I also did what Jennifer Laughran suggested and reassured her that she will be on top of my to-be-queried list once the manuscript and query are ready to send out.

She was lovely. She said she completely understood and is looking forward to reading the manuscript as soon as it's completed. Her attitude and professionalism really impressed me; this is an agent I might not have queried before, but after speaking with her she's one of the top on my list.

Now, back to writing!

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you, Frankie. Now you have something solid to look forward to. What a nice outcome. Good luck to you. Keep us informed.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in to say this whole story is amazing and I hope it works out!

annetpfeffer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annepfeffer.com
Hey Frankie,
Didn't you have the opening of your manuscript posted on an AW thread? I remember it. It was great! I'm not surprised agents are interested. Good luck and take your time making a decision....

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Frankie,
Didn't you have the opening of your manuscript posted on an AW thread? I remember it. It was great! I'm not surprised agents are interested. Good luck and take your time making a decision....

Hi Anne :). Yes, I did! I'm surprised you remember it — wasn't that back in January? Luckily the opening of SICK is much more polished now ;).

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
having read your work, if I were an agent, I would offer rep before completion too. And I don't mean this as a compliment, really. I mean it in the sense that I can understand where the agent's head is. As long as the agent is legit, has good sales, reps clients that you know, etc, then I wouldn't be worried. JMO.

EDIT: I see this has already been resolved. I'm glad everything worked out well. Best of luck finishing the novel--let us know when it sells! :)

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Frankie,

Congratulations, and I'm very proud of you. You handled this whole situation like a true professional and didn't jump just because someone was interested before you were finished. :)