Cheered up by a telemarketer (Note: curse words.)

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Like millions of people, I periodically get recorded phone calls from an illegal scam operation that pretends to have some connection to your credit cards. (They've been blatantly breaking Federal laws for years; I don't know what it'll take for the FTC and/or FCC to crack down on them.)

Usually, if I answer the phone and it's a recording, I hang up. But with these people, I wait, and press the number to talk to a person. Then I'll usually remind them they could be charged with a crime, and advise them to quit their jobs.

This time, the person on the other end beat me to it. The line was picked up by what sounded like a 20-year-old woman, who said: "Would you like to know how you can lower your monthly payments -- motherfucker!" Then the line cut out.

I'd like to think I witnessed a moment of epiphany for her, a moment when her pride as a human being asserted itself, and right after getting off the phone with me she stood up and yelled at her loathesome supervisor, and by extension at the subhuman slug-creatures he works for, "Cram this fucking criminal job, you piece of shit!"

Anyway, it cheered me up.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, it sounds to me like she was interrupted by somebody doing something that really pissed her off - and I find myself sort of hoping she's okay and not the victim of some assault somewhere.

I detest telemarketing calls and deter them however I can, including being rude if I do talk to someone making such a call. But this does indeed sound like there's a story back of it.

:D

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
It sounds almost like a writing prompt, doesn't it? "Here's the first line of a story. You take it from here: His day started oddly enough when Manuel picked up the phone and heard, "Would you like to know how you can lower your monthly payments -- motherfucker!"." :D

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! It does. Exactly so.

:D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
LOL.

I liked this story. If you wish to continue reading the rest of my comment, please tell me your credit card information - motherfucker. ;)

(This comment paid for and brought to you by The MoFos Association Of Fraudulent Actors.)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, maybe she'd just had several rude people abusing her over the phone, or one rude person repeatedly abusing her, and she thought it was the same guy again or something?

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Or maybe she spilled her coffee in her lap?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Like millions of people, I periodically get recorded phone calls from an illegal scam operation that pretends to have some connection to your credit cards. (They've been blatantly breaking Federal laws for years; I don't know what it'll take for the FTC and/or FCC to crack down on them.)

Usually, if I answer the phone and it's a recording, I hang up. But with these people, I wait, and press the number to talk to a person. Then I'll usually remind them they could be charged with a crime, and advise them to quit their jobs.

This time, the person on the other end beat me to it. The line was picked up by what sounded like a 20-year-old woman, who said: "Would you like to know how you can lower your monthly payments -- motherfucker!" Then the line cut out.

I'd like to think I witnessed a moment of epiphany for her, a moment when her pride as a human being asserted itself, and right after getting off the phone with me she stood up and yelled at her loathesome supervisor, and by extension at the subhuman slug-creatures he works for, "Cram this fucking criminal job, you piece of shit!"

Anyway, it cheered me up.
Yeah, we seem to have different interpretations in mind ... I'm imagining a co-worker messing with her "yet again" at that moment, and she decides right then that it's the last straw , and it's going to be the last time - she screams the obscenity, hangs up from you, and goes to "handle" the offending co-worker.

I think if someone were SERIOUSLY harrassing or abusing her, she would have been too scared to say that word at them.
Or maybe she spilled her coffee in her lap?
The words used don't seem to match this. I would imagine a quick "fuck" or "shit", maybe preceded by an "Oh," for such an event.

Oh, the writing prompt:
It sounds almost like a writing prompt, doesn't it? "Here's the first line of a story. You take it from here: His day started oddly enough when Manuel picked up the phone and heard, "Would you like to know how you can lower your monthly payments -- motherfucker!"." :D

I think this point of view might be more interesting:

"I was at the horrible job for yet another day, I was talking at someone on the phone when he/she ________." I scream "motherfucker," disconnect from the call and ..."

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if she was simply going half out of her mind with boredom and decided to liven up her own day.

Or maybe she's trying to learn her script, screwed up her lines, and her "motherfucker!" was her frustration at herself showing says someone who once got caught bitterly spitting, "Oh fuck," during a French lab when I couldn't repeat what the recording said. I didn't know the TAs could listen in on us! Ah well, at least she laughed.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
=benbradley;8303711 . . .
The words used don't seem to match this. I would imagine a quick "fuck" or "shit", maybe preceded by an "Oh," for such an event.

If that's the cap on a string of frustrations (which, for me, would be every single call I made as a telemarketer) it's unlikely a simple, benign "oh, fuck" is going to be sufficient, lol!

The fascinating part of all of this is the varying points of view and the surmises to which they lead.