Trepanning

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I have a very specific question about the process of trepanation, and the gods of the internet are not helping me. I have a scene in my novel where the aforementioned surgery occurs in a decent amount of detail. My problem? I'm not 100% sure what I do with the piece of bone that's been removed. I've read Galen's essays (what I can get online), and I've done a lot of digging, but I've gotten some conflicting results. Some sources say the piece of bone was not re-inserted and kept as a good luck charm. Others say the opposite.

Help? :Shrug:

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
When does your story take place? And where? I read that survivors sometimes wore the removed bone around the neck as a good luck charm. Not early Europeans, before then.

:chair <-- my personal anti-trepanning device

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
It's fantasy, and I've modeled my medical technology after the Romans. I guess you could say that I'm close to 17th century CE in terms of over all world tech (printing press, etc.), but I wouldn't necessarily call it European based. I guess I really could play fast and loose with this, but I wanted to check with Those Who Know More. ;)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Depending on how it is done there may not be a piece of bone, just some dust. Modern trepanners normally drill.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Depending on how it is done there may not be a piece of bone, just some dust. Modern trepanners normally drill.

It's not modern though. My methodology definitely results in a piece of bone floating around. It just feels weird to have them sew a flap of skin over a literal hole in your head, but I haven't found much evidence to support that any of the pieces were ever re-inserted....

Though as they lacked surgical staples or anything else to keep it in place without piercing the membrane, I guess hole in the head is most likely. Terrifying thought. :eek:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Oh they definitely leave the hole. Otherwise there is no change in pressure. Also you can see it in how the skulls have partially healed closed in archeological specimens.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks! I'm doing my last edits, so I wanted to double check my facts.

Creepy to think of nothing but some skin between the world and your brain, isn't it?

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
It is, but there's evidence of bone healing. . . odd. Hey, you probably saw this but just in case you haven't, www.rcpe.ac.uk/journal/issue/journal_40_2/tullo.pdf

Discusses trepanning in ancient Roman times.

With a remodeling rate of ~10% per year, I'd expect some sort healing (though I've always hoped to find a fully healed skull), but it's still horrifying. I read an extensive blog by someone who underwent a trepanning in the modern day. His blog was about 6 years old. With pictures. For the life of me, I can't find it again.

People amaze me in the worst ways.

Can't get the link open. :( I appreciate it though!

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Letting the evil spirits out did require leaving a hole, at least as documented in some archeological cases (as veinglory mentioned). If the bone piece is removed carefully, the dura mater will still be intact, and that is a very though connective tissue sheath around the brain, so the brain itself will not be directly exposed. I don't know if there is any evidence for how deep the dissection went beyond bone. Those evil spirits can be devilish to deal with.

As for the fate of the bone fragment--you can have full license to have your characters deal with it in any way that serves the story.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the articles. You guys are amazing. :e2arms:

NeuroFizz, I'm so embarrassed that I forgot about the dura mater. As in, face on fire embarrassed. I'm supposed to be studying that stuff.*facepalm* I'm going to blame it on stress and an editing panic attack that I made a huge mistake. :e2paperba

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Creepy to think of nothing but some skin between the world and your brain, isn't it?
The skull only covers half the brain. The rest is exposed to lots of easily punctured bits.

As I understand trepanning from back in the Roman/Galen era, the point of the surgery was to leave a hole with no bone so there wouldn't be any pressure on the brain from swelling, etc. That's what the real killer was for many of those traumas Galen worked on.

There is a decent medical text that covers Galen's teachings but I can't remember it off the top of my head nor find in it a basic search. Probably any decent teaching hospital would have it, and others, available in the library or online.

Jeff

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine was talking about doing a presentation on historical treppaning practices for a historical reenactment group we are both in.

He started joking about doing a demo and using me as the model. He said it might help with my sinus headaches.

I replied, "Yeah, I need to be treppaned like I need a hole in the head."

One of few times I actually thought of the comeback right then, instead of much later...

Docaggie

Registered
Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoy the notion of pulling off a square chunk and making it into a necklace.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I once heard an interesting argument between a couple of neurosurgeons about whether it's better or not to remove or replace a bit of bone and it basically depended on whether or not the piece of bone has likely been devascularized. In such a case it is more a risk of osteomyelitis than it is a benefit as brain protection. It would take a careful dissection by someone experienced and depend on the size and location of the hole to open a window without devascularizing that fragment.