Need opinions on leading male's name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseSnow

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm working on a paranormal romance novel and I'm can't decide between two names for the leading man.

The story is set in a small town high school in West Virginia and the lead male is a witch.

My two name choices: Johnny Cross and Hunter Cross.

I like Johnny Cross, but think it might be too 1950's bad-boy cheesy.

Opinions?

ebbrown

Easily Amused
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ebbrown.net
another vote for Hunter.

and I also vote that your name your female lead E.B. Some say Eby, Ebee, however you want to do it. ;)

Calle Jay

Romance Novelist & Freelance Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
There's only one romance where I've found the name Hunter cheesy, and that was when his two equally hot brothers were called Trapper and Fisher. That was too twee for words.

GAH! I can see why.

I like Hunter, especially if it's contemporary. Hunter is a reasonably popular name.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Both sound just a tad contrived to me. IMHO having at least one of the names be "ordinary" makes it seem more real. But Johnny Cross sounds like a cowboy and I don't think a diminutive form fits a hero. I would vote for John Cross.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Wouldn't a witch be named something witchy? Like named after a plant maybe? Unless his parents weren't witches or were trying really hard to blend in...

Faye DC

Registered
Reaction score
Johnny Cross really does sound like a rockabilly band, Ann is right.
Ima cast another vote for Hunter.

ClarissaWild

Registered
Reaction score
Hunter, definitely. It's got that oomph factor.

Johnny... not so much. More like john doe or johnny bravo. lol. For some reason, every 'johnny' also reminds me of 'jionny', snooky's husband (from jersey shore) and I WOULD NEVER want to read a book with that name in it :p lol

Cranky1

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd rather Johnny over Hunter. I see Hunter pop up in historical, contemporary, paranormal, and so on.

If I could drop kick names off the edge of the earth, Hunter would be one of those names. Also, Hawke and Wolfe.

*drop kicking*

The Pen Is Mightier

Registered
Reaction score
I vote Hunter. I like the name John and even the nickname Jack but Johnny is a bit much. I like Hunter with the last name Cross also, it seems to flow easily.

Lady Chipmunk

Nut in Search of Rodents
Registered
Reaction score
Of those options, I think Hunter is stronger. Just keep in mind that this is something of a unisex name. Most associate it with males, but there are women named Hunter. Not a big deal, but if you go with it you may want to establish his sex right up front for the reader somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.