First rejection - is it a 'good' one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skydragon

Registered
Reaction score
I've never submitted anywhere. A few days ago I sent a short story to a magazine. This is the response (edited out the names and whatnot):

First, I'd just like to personally thank you for submitting your piece. I particularly loved your writing style and your voice, but the story isn't really what we're looking for right now. If you have anything else, I'd love to take a look at it. Best of luck in finding a home for this vicious piece. And, always keep us in mind when submitting! Thanks!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a personal rejection to me! :)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty good. It's even good that you actually got a rejection. Many mags today just ignore submissions they don't accept, and don't respond in any way.

caw

AVS

Registered
Reaction score
Yep that's pretty good.
I once had an agent scrawl "Not for me" on the actual novel submission letter I'd sent. Personal but not in a good way, at least he replied.
A shrinking violet, you can't be. Well done.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
As rejections go, that's as good as it gets. Send that editor something else as soon as possible.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Some people do use a hierarchy of form rejection letters, including one that asks to see more. However, two things make me think this is a personal rejection: the specification of your style and voice as positives and the use of the adjective "vicious" to describe your story -- that would be an odd choice for a form letter.

CGs! Put the story back out there yesterday and keep it out until it sells. Also, send this mag another story.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty good. It's even good that you actually got a rejection. Many mags today just ignore submissions they don't accept, and don't respond in any way.

caw

Unless they really like the writing, and see promise in the writer. When this is true, pretty much every magazine responds.

Status
Not open for further replies.