PDA

View Full Version : requerying an agent

penguin girl
07-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Seeking advice here.

I've completed a significant rework of my novel. Even renamed it. I would like to re-query a favorite agent (initial query 2 years ago).

Should I mention the previous failed query, or simply submit? Alternatively, I could try a recent addition to the agency.

Or should I just drop it altogether and move on? I like the agency and the authors they represent! Thank you.

Siri Kirpal
07-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Certainly you can requery, unless the agency website says not to.

Two years later, I don't think you need to mention the failed attempt. And my experience suggests that it's better not to...unless the agent liked it, but didn't love it, in which case, go ahead and mention it.

Hope that made sense.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Jumpy2
07-14-2013, 10:17 PM
In two years that agent has read thousands upon thousands of queries. She will not remember yours, especially if you changed the title. Requery!

GinJones
07-15-2013, 01:33 AM
What response did you get to the first query? If it was anything other than a form (or no response), then you might mention that you addressed whatever was mentioned in the rejection and explain -- briefly -- that you fixed it. Otherwise, after two years and MAJOR changes, just go ahead and requery.

J.Reid
07-15-2013, 04:07 AM
Jumpy2, wanna bet?

jvc
07-15-2013, 04:11 AM
A similar question came up on #askagent on twitter earlier and their response was that it's okay to re-query.

penguin girl
07-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks for your comments, everyone.