PDA

View Full Version : Movies that you own but still watch on TV

CrastersBabies
07-14-2013, 08:30 AM
So, you're flipping through the television guide, and you see Last of the Mohicans, (for me) and go, "OOOOO!" and flip to watch it. Sure, you own it on bluray or dvd (or VHS for some of us), but it's there. RIGHT THERE. And you must watch it. You cannot resist. It makes no sense, but it doesn't need to. It's so right . . .

What are some of yours?

For me, the above mentioned, Almost Famous, The Green Mile (just to name a few).

ajaye
07-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Not a movie, but I'm doing it now with The Office series, US version.
:)

blacbird
07-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Time Bandits
The Wizard of Oz

caw

frimble3
07-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Jaws! Never miss it. It's serendipity. I have the DVD, but if it turns up at a time when I can watch it, it's like a sign!
Okay, so I basically have it memorized, but that's not the point.

It's different from putting on the DVD. The DVD is always there, so I don't often have the huge to block out time and put it on, but if it just happens to turn up ....

Brightdreamer
07-14-2013, 09:26 AM
None.

If I catch part of a favorite airing, I may be compelled to dig out the DVD, but I can't stand watching movies on TV. The editing and the ad breaks just murder the things. (Anyone else remember when cable didn't run ads in the middle of movies... because you were already paying for the channel?)

CrastersBabies
07-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Time Bandits
The Wizard of Oz

caw

I have not seen Time Bandits in so long. I need to put that on the radar. NOW.

DeleyanLee
07-14-2013, 04:30 PM
ID4
The Princess Bride

That's about it. Most of the other movies I adore never show up on TV.

J.S.F.
07-14-2013, 04:48 PM
I have almost three hundred DVD's on hand and never watch any movie on TV and haven't done so for over a decade. As someone said--which bears repeating--the commercial breaks and cuts in the film to fit it into a proper time slot...GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!

No thank you. With a DVD, I can watch it anytime on my own without worrying aboot commercials.

Pterofan
07-14-2013, 11:37 PM
The Mummy Returns
Jason and the Argonauts
The SpongeBob Squarepants Movie
(yes, I'm serious about that last one)
I also watch the Supernatural reruns on TNT, even though I have most of the seasons on DVD

CrastersBabies
07-15-2013, 12:26 AM
Same here on Supernatural reruns. The Winchester boys are powerful tempting.

Max Vaehling
07-15-2013, 02:46 AM
It's the other way 'round for me. I remember I got the DVD of Cookie's Fortune after repeatedly happening upon it while zapping and sticking to it. There were other movies that had that effect (Lubitsch's To Be Or Not To Be comes to mind), but not many. German TV is a special case, of course, being all dubbed into German. Usually the German versions are just another reason to buy the DVDs instead.

colebooks
07-15-2013, 09:40 PM
When Clueless comes on I watch it,but the Tv version censors alot of it so I usually just pop it in the dvd play half way through.

Gilroy Cullen
07-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Oh dang. You want a list?

Sister Act
The Mummy and The Mummy Returns
ID4
Princess Bride
Maverick
The Postman (Yes, the Costner flick.)
The Crow (Hate the heavy edits.)

Oh and the newest: Unstoppable.

Corussa
07-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Die Hard (my current preference: 1, 3, 2). :)

Probably lots of others but I can't think of them right now...

Shadow_Ferret
07-15-2013, 11:10 PM
All of them. The reason I own the movie is because I enjoy watching it, so if I run across it channel flipping, I'll stop and watch.

Duncan J Macdonald
07-16-2013, 12:55 AM
None.
The reason I have the VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray is that I like the movie enough to watch it again.

I keep the VHS going because Han shoots first, damnit!

WriterTrek
07-16-2013, 01:49 AM
Any of the Original Star Trek Movies (I-VI), particularly IV.

bearilou
07-19-2013, 04:37 PM
I guess I'm one of those viewers, then. I hate watching movies on television.

I hate that they edit for content, for viewing time. I hate the commercial breaks.

When I watch a movie, I want to see it in all it's theatrical, unedited, unchopped beauty...which is why I own the movie. So that I can watch it again and again and again.

Time Bandits

Okay. Seriously. I thought I was the only person in history ever that remembered and liked this movie. It was one of my favorites. And *gasp* it's not in my movie collection.

THIS WILL CHANGE.

Tasmin21
07-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Red
Terminator 2
The Mummy
Serenity (Except that one part toward the end, you know which part I'm talking about, 'cause if I don't watch it, then it didn't happen)

bearilou
07-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Serenity (Except that one part toward the end, you know which part I'm talking about, 'cause if I don't watch it, then it didn't happen)

*hides under the covers* yep. yep I do.

angeluscado
07-19-2013, 06:25 PM
I don't actually watch a lot of TV (no time!) but if I find myself channel surfing, these will usually make me stop, even though I own them:

Hocus Pocus
Anything Harry Potter (although I usually change the channel halfway through because they're usually heavily and awkwardly edited)
Star Wars (any)
Star Trek (any)
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Corpse Bride
Anything Tim Burton, really, although I don't own them all...

There has to be more, but it's early and my brain is fuzzy.

Cathy C
07-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Independence Day
Night at the Museum
National Treasure

There are more, but these jumped out at me that I'll turn on every time. :)

Maggie Maxwell
07-19-2013, 06:42 PM
The original Star Wars. When I was little, whenever it came on TV, I'd sit down with my parents and watch it. We never owned them, but we lived right down the road from a Blockbuster, so we could have gone and gotten it whenever we wanted. Instead, we watched it whenever it came on TV. It's a good memory for me. While I don't have cable, if I did and I found the original Star Wars trilogy while scanning the channels, I'd stop, turn up the volume, and go back to being 4 years old again for a little while.

Corussa
07-20-2013, 01:02 AM
Gladiator, because I've just spotted that's on later here, so I'm going to watch that. (It will also serve an important role in helping me procrastinate about revising my WIP. :D )

Krelian
07-20-2013, 03:29 AM
Oh, God, there are a ton of them. Pitch Perfect has been the one lately.

Asmodeus
07-21-2013, 01:33 PM
As others have said I don't like to watch movies on tv because of the cuts, bleeps, and commercials, also I have 2207 dvd's, blu rays. If I see one of them on TV like artical 99, Dark City, Harvy. I just fire up my Blu-ray and off with the TV and I watch it without interuption. Also I can pause it if I want to get some pop corn, or do other things :)

Jehhillenberg
07-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Mean Girls

and quite a bit of others I'll have to find.

Alpha Echo
07-22-2013, 11:01 PM
For me? Only TV shows - Sex and the City.

For my husband?

The Die Hard movies
Independence Day
Star Wars
Any superhero movie

Basically anything.

Max Vaehling
07-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Red
Terminator 2
The Mummy

What's wrong with Kaylee and Simon kissing?

bearilou
07-24-2013, 06:54 PM
What's wrong with Kaylee and Simon kissing?

Doctor spit.

duh

Rhea
08-07-2013, 03:58 AM
Shawshank Redemption
Erin Brockovich
The Gods Must Be Crazy I-II (though they don't show them that often)

My father-in-law can't get enough of Rocky and Rambo and he pulls his sons and grandsons into watching them as well. So, there's a very big chance that when I go downstairs to his house (I live in Mexico, I share three houses and a patio with 12 other people), I see the entire male population of our houses glued to the screen, commenting a fight scene or such, hands waving around, popcorn or pumpkin seeds fervously nibbled away, deaf and blind to anything that comes from the real world around them.

And yes, he has all those movies on DVD.

DreamWeaver
08-09-2013, 12:23 AM
The Hunt for Red October
Independence Day
The Pacifier (I actually don't have this one on DVD/Blu Ray--don't know why. Her parking the minivan is priceless.)
Pitch Black

eleutheria
08-09-2013, 01:00 AM
I second Shawshank Redemption. I consider myself a big Star Wars fan, but I don't watch those movies like I do that one! I watch it every single time I flip through the channels and see it playing. :)

AshleyEpidemic
08-10-2013, 02:30 AM
ABC Family is constantly showing Harry Potter. If I stumble onto one of them, I can't change the channel. It's like in my DNA.

Then again, I watched Prisoner of Azkaban 18 times over the span of 6 days.

DragonHeart
08-10-2013, 06:47 AM
ID4 - It was on the other day, I was so hyped lol. Sad I missed out on my yearly tradition of watching it on the 4th cause I had to work, grumble grumble.

Jurassic Park - any of them, if I see one on, I'm watching. Even the third. I miss Michael Crichton. :(

Nolan's Batman trilogy.

Iron Man, The Avengers - Haven't seen the latter on cable yet but the day it went up on Netflix I watched it. To show my support, of course!

S.W.A.T. - I actually don't own this one but it is on Netflix. But every time I catch it on cable I just have to. I've seen it about 6 times so far this year just from that.

And just for fun, some movies I own and won't ever watch on TV - LotR, Pirates series (well, 2 and 3), basically anything that will end up being 4 or more hours long with commercial breaks. That's about when I'll break out the Blu-ray if I really feel the urge.

Mystikal
08-15-2013, 02:43 AM
Jaws! Never miss it. It's serendipity. I have the DVD, but if it turns up at a time when I can watch it, it's like a sign!
Okay, so I basically have it memorized, but that's not the point.

It's different from putting on the DVD. The DVD is always there, so I don't often have the huge to block out time and put it on, but if it just happens to turn up ....

Jaws is a household favorite around here too. We also always seem to catch Aliens 1-5,000 any time on it is on. My favorite is Anchorman, Amelie and Stardust...never fails, they're instant clicks.

skydragon
08-15-2013, 03:53 AM
Harry Potter. I just... I feel part of something bigger when I watch it on TV. Like I'm re-joining all the Harry Potter fans once again! :-P

Also - The Fifth Element, Bridget Jones Diary, Legally Blonde, any Disney or Pixar movie that comes on the box.

Chase
08-15-2013, 04:37 AM
Oh, yeah, we own 1550 DVD and Blu-Ray movies and over 3,800 TV episodes--all with closed captions or the much, much better SDH (subtitles for the :deaf: and hard-of-hearing).

If we lose electricity, my girlfriend has eight hours of viewing on a 9-inch Sony DVD player. By then, I've lit the oil lamps and am re-reading a Stephen King novel. :D

Steve Coate
08-15-2013, 04:56 AM
Can't go wrong with Tombstone.

Chumplet
08-15-2013, 05:04 AM
On a Saturday afternoon, while cleaning or writing or just staring out the window... when Ferris Buehler or Mrs. Doubtfire or Four Weddings & a Funeral comes on, I leave it up, despite the commercials. And yes, I have them all on DVD.