• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Possible beta reader for YA horror/thriller thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys. So I'm finishing up my YA psychological horror/thriller thing. I'm thinking it will probably be about 75,000 words when I'm ready to send it out. Less than two weeks. Making this post early because a) that's a lot of words and b) I can't really swap manuscripts with you as I'm a terrible terrible reader and I have the hugest scariest summer reading list for college. It's a big ask to really expect anyone at all to be interested, but...

Here's the query letter:

Lindy McGregor is in Love. She can’t sleep, can’t eat, can’t stop thinking about Matthew Richmond.

So what if Daddy says he’s a killer? Maybe he is.

It won’t stop Lindy. She’ll excuse his violent past, distract her dad and derail the police investigation.

Mostly, she wants to forgive. She knows what it’s like to love someone who isn’t good enough for you, who does nothing but screw you around.

In fact, all of her previous boyfriends are dead.

Lindy is a killer, too, and she’s ready for a challenge.

CRUSHING is contemporary YA, complete at 70,000 words.

The first chapter is here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273500

I'm debating whether to call it a horror or thriller or whatever. Triggery stuff: very violent in places (though it never gets worse than what's in the posted snippet), there's discussion of extreme violence, sexual violence is discussed but never happens on-page, some fade-to-black sexual situations, pretty bad language. The characters are very unlikeable, so I'm looking for people who don't mind that. If you can handle the first chapter without being repulsed beyond reading any further, I feel pretty confident that you can handle the whole book.

What I want from you if possible: a pretty quick read (though I'm very negotiable on this and I understand that life is busy and messy). Essentially read it the whole way through and give me your thoughts/notes. No need for a line-by-line. IF POSSIBLE, I'd love it if there would be a beta reader who'd possibly be interested in more than one read after revisions. I can do the line-by-line stuff myself most of the time, but it's hard for me to do the plotty stuff and figure out if I'm improving it or making it worse. However, this isn't to scare you. I'd just love people who are willing to read my MS and give me your thoughts :)

Like I said - it's not ready yet, but I understand that these things can move slowly esp. as I can't really swap. PM me!

Status
Not open for further replies.