Query Letter Help

Nicole Ireland

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working on my third manuscript.

For my first manuscript I rewrote my query letter at least half a dozen times and there wasn't anyone interested. Which I am fine with. I know each piece of writing has it's time and place in the world. I also know it was my first endeavor at writing and that alot of times the first piece of work doesn't get picked up.

However, my second manuscript has received three "not interested," "not what I am looking for," etc. I made sure to really take the time and sit down and craft a letter that I thought was really well done in comparison to my first attempts. However, it's not catching anyone's eye as of yet.

I've seen various different tips on how to start a query. Some I have seen suggest starting with a question of sorts or asking the reader to visualize something. That is the tactic I used. It's not working.

So I am not sure what is wrong with the letter. Any help with it would be welcome.

I know rejection is just part of the journey and I am prepared to deal with it. Each time I get a new "NO" I feel upset for a few minutes then file it away. I keep pushing because I love what I do and I want to share it with people. I really believe in this last story I wrote. It really holds a special place in my heart. There was a lot of tears shed in the writing of it. I just want to give it a fair chance.

So suggestions are welcome. If you are interested in seeing the letter to suggest what is wrong let me know.

Thanks!

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Nicole Ireland said:
If you are interested in seeing the letter to suggest what is wrong let me know.

Thanks!

A query for a query letter! Okay, I’ll do my best...

Dear Nicole,

Your query letter sound interesting. We would be pleased to read your letter, if you could place it the Query Letter Critique sub-forum of the Share Your Work forum.

Best regards,
Julie
(who has no official function here)

Nicole Ireland

Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Sorry, I found the query letter section AFTER I posted here. So I posted it the letter there for critiques.

Thank you!

flashy95

Registered
Reaction score
Nice, Julie. :D

Does this mean that now there will be a new forum for critiquing queries OF query letters? ;)

Flashy

DanaS

I love this little dog!
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Residing somewhere between my ears in Pennsylvania
Website
home.infionline.net
Hi, If I may add my two cents too as an example. I have "a few" different manuscripts I'm trying to market-the biggest is in the children's area. Each mannie has there own query, and most (fortunately) have received "nice comments" albeit "not for us right now", yada yada yada. So I tried something different with the children's group-I wrote up a brief query for each one, and place them in one letter, one pub referred to it as pre-query. I know what I've read about doing that, and it wasn't ever really advised, but I thought what the heck. A majority of the responses were complimentary, including a few agents. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, it is hard to really know what appeals to one and not another. I always try to keep an open mind to learning anything new, and I do periodically review my queries. I guess it is just and "individual thing" and I hope you won't get discouraged...it WILL hit the right hands at some point-"you just gotta' believe!" Now that I wrote this, I hope it is in the correct thread...if not feel free to let me know that I made an error.
Good luck with your queries and writing!!!! Dana