PDA

View Full Version : Poetry query

Marilyn Braun
02-16-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm planning on submitting some poems I've written to a magazine and I'm just wondering if there's a specific query I should use for that. I honestly can't think of anything to say other than, Please find attached two poems for your consideration, and maybe a bit of background about each piece.

I did post this in the writing poetry area but I'm not sure that's the right place for it. All I can see are threads with different poetry, so that's why I'm here.

Sassenach
02-16-2006, 01:54 AM
Read and follow the guidelines from each publication. Most simply want the poems.

jdkiggins
02-16-2006, 02:04 AM
Marilyn,
I'm sending this over to the poetry forum. You may get more information over there.

Sassenach
02-16-2006, 02:04 AM
Read and follow the guidelines from each publication. Most simply want the poems.

Marilyn Braun
02-16-2006, 02:41 AM

I've read the guidelines, I'm asking about how to query. I can't just send them an email with the poems attached.

trumancoyote
02-16-2006, 02:49 AM
Do their guidelines state that they want a query?

Others may know better than I, but that sounds unusual to me.

Marilyn Braun
02-16-2006, 02:54 AM
This is what it says in the Writers Guidelines:

We publish several poems in each issue. Please send us no more than two to four pieces at a time. Poems can be submitted directly to Talitha, our poetry editor

Under queries it says:

We encourage you to send a query if you are unsure of our interest in the topic of your article

The poems are relevant to the publication's subject, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Should I just do a basic greeting and then attach the poems? I'm asking what I should say in the email I send to them.