PDA

View Full Version : Ah, what a great feeling

underthecity
02-15-2006, 11:44 PM
I went downtown today to run a few errands and stopped inside the Ohio Bookstore, which is a huge, independent new and used bookstore. This store has been in operation for decades.

I saw a stack of five of my second books and brought them to the counter to sign. The clerk gave me a pen and told me they were currently out of stock of my first book. I told him I didn't see any copies of my newest one. And he said "That's a great book. No, we're sold out. We're getting more in."

Then he invited me to a signing for next month during a downtown festival.

It's always great to hear that stores can't keep your books in stock. Even nicer to hear they have more on order.

Thought I'd share.

allen

CaoPaux
02-15-2006, 11:56 PM
Allen, livin' large! :hooray:

awatkins
02-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Wow, Allen, that's the kinda stuff I like to hear! Great going. :)

Cheryll
02-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Congrats to you! I can only imagine how AWESOME that must have felt!

Go, Allen...

Go, Allen...

It's your birthday...

Go, Allen!

:hooray: :hooray: :hooray:

Cheryll

Tilly
02-16-2006, 12:07 AM
That's so cool!:snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

clintl
02-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Congrats!

Maryn
02-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Oh, that must be so great to have happen.

Maryn, whose most recent great feeling involved loosening her belt

NeuroFizz
02-16-2006, 12:29 AM
News to brighten the day. Congrats, Allen.

aadams73
02-16-2006, 01:16 AM
WTG! That is awesome news!

underthecity
02-16-2006, 01:43 AM
Thanks, everyone! Of course, this store is just one out of many. I can go into any Waldens, B&N, Borders, JB, and have essentially the same thing happen.

I always hear the same things from bookstore personnel and managers:

Your books are great!
We love your books, they always sell so well.
We have 20 copies of (any title) on hand. They'll sell. People love them.
What's your next one? (bookstore personnel and readers ask this one).
Most often asked: Why'd you choose to write about this?

Not that I'm bragging, mind you, although my first book has since sold over 5,000 copies. Is that bragging? I guess it is.

allen

threedogpeople
02-16-2006, 02:15 AM
I don't think it counts as bragging if it is true. Do you?

Congratulations! It's great to receive positive reinforcement for all the HARD work!!!

PattiTheWicked
02-16-2006, 02:57 AM
That's awesome, Allen!!

aadams73
02-16-2006, 03:18 AM
It's not bragging--it's honest. Why shouldn't you take credit for all--and pride in--your hard work?

WerenCole
02-16-2006, 03:36 AM
Where can I get a copy of this novel? It seems that my book store is sold out. . .

brokenfingers
02-16-2006, 04:02 AM
Congrats Allen. It really warms the heart to hear stories like yours as well as help stoke the fires of our writing engines.

My best wishes for continued success!!

PrettySpecialGal
02-16-2006, 04:08 AM
You are so cool, Allen- groovy for you. Keep up the great writing.

My-Immortal
02-16-2006, 04:08 AM
Congrats! :)

underthecity
02-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Where can I get a copy of this novel? It seems that my book store is sold out. . .

If you're referring to the first one (that sold over 5,000 copies), it's technically a local history book. It was a book that has been needed to be written since 1930, but I was the only one to finally do it.

All three books are available in Southwest Ohio tristate bookstores. Out of state, you can order them in any bookstore (yes, I know what that sounds like, but they're regional history books).

You can see all three in the Absolute Write library. Just click on the link below.

Thanks for all your comments. Made my day!

allen

blisswriter
02-17-2006, 01:08 PM
That has got to be the ultimate in "cool", walking into a bookstore and picking up your own books :Thumbs:then signing them like that. What a thrill.

(I think I would be too shy to do it; at least for a while...):Shrug:

arrowqueen
02-18-2006, 03:54 AM
Congrats, allen. I'm so pleased for you.

September skies
02-18-2006, 04:27 AM
That is so great! You've got every right to brag - but to us, it's good news, not bragging. I'm so happy for you!

Susie
02-18-2006, 05:46 AM
Way2go! & Congrats! Allen. That is v-e-r-y exciting!

Scribhneoir
02-18-2006, 06:06 AM
I always hear the same things from bookstore personnel and managers:

Your books are great!
We love your books, they always sell so well.
We have 20 copies of (any title) on hand. They'll sell. People love them.
What's your next one? (bookstore personnel and readers ask this one).
Most often asked: Why'd you choose to write about this?

Not that I'm bragging, mind you, although my first book has since sold over 5,000 copies. Is that bragging? I guess it is.

allen

Of course it is, but you're entitled. :Thumbs: Congratulations! :hooray:

Pat~
02-18-2006, 06:16 AM
Congratulations, Allen! You're living the dream!

Vanessa
02-18-2006, 06:52 AM
Allen, NOW THAT'S SUWEET! I'm very happy for you. Way to go!

underthecity
02-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks! You guys are making me blush.

Loos like I'm scheduled at Ohio Bookstore, March 4, 12-3. Other regional history authors will be there too.

Then, B Dalton called me this week. I'm scheduled for B Dalton in Northgate Mall, 1 to 3PM. The manager was so happy and kept thanking me for coming in! I was thanking her for calling me.

I have a huge list of library presentations and book signings scheduled for the next three months. I'll post them in the Announcments forum if anyone's interested.

Am I really living the dream? I thought living the dream was writing full time, not needing a job. I'm working toward it. Heck, I've already begun researching agents for my children's book. I'm that close.

Anyone want to be a beta reader for it?

allen

Jean Marie
02-18-2006, 10:14 PM
You should be blushing, Allen http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif w/ all that's going on! I think you're in the curl of the dream. Close your eyes and memorize all the details. Then when I'm there, you can tell me, yup, that's how it's supposed to feel http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

As to being a beta reader, I'd love to. We could swap beta-ing. I've got some "stuff" going on, so I'll have to get back to you on that. Should know soon, okay.