South Africa's White Population

LoneRider

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a story where a character of mine is a member of the ethnic group described above. He is old enough to remember Apartheid South Africa but came of age in Post-Apartheid South Africa (Apartheid ended when he was eleven). I'm well aware South Africa in the Apartheid Era was divided by race, and I know that the dominant white populations were the Afrikaners owing to the dominant language being Afrikaans. What of English speaking South Africans (descended from British settlers)? What was their standing during apartheid?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
AFAIK the English-speaking South Africans were economically prosperous and did pretty well. Depending on where you went in South Africa, they were in the majority in some cities such as Capetown. Many Afrikaaners were relatively poor farmers, having finished on the losing side in the Boer War in the early 1900s.

LoneRider

Registered
Reaction score
I knew the British were big on the mining side of the fence when they got into South Africa where the Dutch were more on the farming side of the fence. I recall 2/3 of the white population of South Africa being listed as Afrikaaners vs. English descent. Siri - thanks for the reference.

LHGalloway

Registered
Reaction score
What of English speaking South Africans (descended from British settlers)? What was their standing during apartheid?

If your character was 11 in the early 90s, there was a less pronounced difference between English vs Afrikaner than earlier in history. They would have been treated much the same as those of Afrikaner descent.

All English speakers would have been taught Afrikaans at school, even though English was the language of commerce.

The Democratic Party in South Africa was largely anti-apartheid. They were heavily made up of those of English descent, but also appealed to younger Afrikaners. Of course, you also had English descendants who were part of the National Party (largely pro-apartheid). Interesting note, but the DP is now the Democratic Alliance (DA), and they are now the largest opposition party to the ANC (African National Congress, Nelson Mandela's party).

Those of English descent tended to be more liberal, both in terms of religion, and social policies. Remember, South Africa under the National Party was highly conservative, and church and state were highly intertwined. The English were more likely to be Methodist, vs. the much stricter 'three sister' churches of the Afrikaners, like the Dutch Reformed church.

I lived in SA (Cape Town) for around 7 years. Beautiful place with quite a complicated history. If you have any specific questions about growing up in SA, I can forward them to my South African friends. I don't always peek in here, but feel free to PM.

My two cents...if you intend to write about South Africans, it is worth understanding historical events from multiple perspectives. My experience in that country taught me that history depends very much on who is telling it!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

LHGalloway

Registered
Reaction score
To add to the above -- the majority of white South Africans of all backgrounds (+68%) voted to end apartheid in 1992. It was a landslide victory for reform. This doesn't get emphasized nearly enough. :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Those of English descent tended to be more liberal, both in terms of religion, and social policies. Remember, South Africa under the National Party was highly conservative, and church and state were highly intertwined. The English were more likely to be Methodist, vs. the much stricter 'three sister' churches of the Afrikaners, like the Dutch Reformed church.

Or CofE

My two cents...if you intend to write about South Africans, it is worth understanding historical events from multiple perspectives. My experience in that country taught me that history depends very much on who is telling it!

QFT

It will also matter whether your character is the child of recent emigrants from the UK or of a family that has deep SA roots.

LoneRider

Registered
Reaction score
Hope this helps.

LHGalloway. Very much so. This helps me shed some more perspective for the historical context of South Africa. I'm currently working on a fanfiction that features South Africa as the setting and wanted to make sure it's as accurate as possible.

I found the film Blood Diamond, and the books 32 Battalion, We Fear Naught But God, and A Greater Share of Honor which are memoirs written by former soldiers in the South African Defense Force to be insightful as far as the military mindset of South Africa.

My character, influenced by both his father and grandfathers' service in South Africa's army, followed in their footsteps in time for a war that starts in Angola.

It will also matter whether your character is the child of recent emigrants from the UK or of a family that has deep SA roots.

His family has lived in South Africa since the Zulu War and Boer Wars, his great-great-grandfather having served in the British Army sent there in the 19th Century. I've drawn him as having lived in Cape Town all of his life.

I've written that his family has sent a son (or more) to the South African military or police services ever since that time. Being a soldier myself most of my colleagues (and myself) are quite conservative for the most part. But I've also written that his family was quite neutral on the nature of apartheid, since he was taught 'no apartheid in the foxhole' by his father, a veteran of 32 Battalion since he was a boy.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

^ This is so true!

Sorry I'm late to this party. :) I've only just learned about this thread.

I was born in SA in the 50's - an English-speaking S. African (3rd generation of British immigrants). My father was a career soldier in the (then) SA Defence Force, serving for 41 years. I was forced to go to an Afrikaans primary school, which I did not like, but which has resulted in my being fluent in the language and very familiar with the Afrikaans culture.

If there's any help I can give you, please don't hesitate to let me know.

ETA: A thought. My children are only a few years older than your character, so you can draw on their experiences/perspectives as well. Please feel free to PM me, if you like. :)

Last edited:

LoneRider

Registered
Reaction score
I just polished off reading a memoir written by a major from the South African Recce Commandoes which was quite enlightening. It was A Greater Hare of Honour: The Memoirs of a Recce Officer, and the author does mention the BIG contrast in language and even accents between his Afrikaner group and the mostly English descended Rhodesians he dealt with at one stage.

Additionally I am reading about the Boer Wars as well to see the origin of South Africa's European descended demographics.