Kindle Daily Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
This is just a placeholder for the moment, but one of my books was selected for the Kindle Daily Deal on July 22.

This happened to me last November, and during the day of the sale, I roped in over $8,000. In one day.

The book in question is a bigger fish, so I hope to have good news to report. Its sales have been declining over the months, and at the moment, I'm looking at 203 sales with 71 borrows so far for July.

So that having been said, I'll furnish more information once the sale kicks off.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
How to be part of Kindle Daily Deal in 3 Easy Steps:

Step 1. Have a pro-quality cover, an enticing blurb, good reader response (reviews) and sell a lot of books.
Step 2. Price $3.99 or higher.
Step 3. Get super lucky.

(1.5 of these steps are within your control.)

Cranky1

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats. I keep wondering how to get selected for the KDD. Nothing I found says how.
I asked that question, and this is the response Amazon gave:

[FONT=&quot]"There are many factors, but mainly we want to make sure we’re offering the customer a great quality book, so high ratings and lots of reviews contribute a lot."[/FONT]

Calle Jay

Romance Novelist & Freelance Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
How to be part of Kindle Daily Deal in 3 Easy Steps:

Step 1. Have a pro-quality cover, an enticing blurb, good reader response (reviews) and sell a lot of books.
Step 2. Price $3.99 or higher.
Step 3. Get super lucky.

(1.5 of these steps are within your control.)

It's step three that gets me. Just can't control luck! Step 1 and 2, mastered, but that darned number 3...

Calle Jay

Romance Novelist & Freelance Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
I asked that question, and this is the response Amazon gave:

[FONT=&quot]"There are many factors, but mainly we want to make sure we’re offering the customer a great quality book, so high ratings and lots of reviews contribute a lot."[/FONT]

Thanks, Noah!
I have high ratings, but a low number of reviews. :(

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm calling it quits for the day. The deal starts tomorrow, so it'll be interesting to see if the numbers come close to the zombie book that went previously or fall way short. Or wildly exceed them.

Anything's a help, though. At the moment, the book has 395 sales for July.

Cranky1

Registered
Reaction score
Currently sitting tall at 1049, so far...

Is that for the total month of July or all those downloads from today alone?
Either way, awesome!

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
That'd be total for July. Currently at 1517, which would give me a total of 1122 sold so far today. At $1.99 at 70% royalty, that comes out to be just under $1,563. The sales are less than HALF of what the zombie book did so far, but it's still dinero in the banko.

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
That'd be total for July. Currently at 1517, which would give me a total of 1122 sold so far today. At $1.99 at 70% royalty, that comes out to be just under $1,563. The sales are less than HALF of what the zombie book did so far, but it's still dinero in the banko.

To get the 70% royalty rate Amazon requires you set the price between $2.99 and $9.99. If the price is $1.99 the rate would be 35%.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, except for when they come to you for the Daily Deal. Then it's 70%. My second time at bat with this, so I'm pretty confident I've got it right. And just to be sure, I read the agreement they sent when they made the offer.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Congrats bud!

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
So the end tally was 2315 total sales, with 1920 being generated yesterday alone. Final ranking that I'm aware of (it could have gotten higher overnight) was #41 overall. That would be an estimated cum of about $2,567, including Amazon's rather usurious transfer fee. Not bad for one day, but about half of what my zombie title generated in November. :D

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations :)
I know bugger all about selfpublishing and found this thread interesting.
Do you think there will be a snowball effect, with higher ongoing sales and reviews than there would have been without the daily deal?

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Well, probably not, since in this instance I don't have similar properties. I'm going to think it's a stretch to hope that folks who buy an SF adventure book will turn around and buy into a zombie apocalypse series, though some certainly will. But not enough to buoy sales across the board.

stranger

Registered
Reaction score
Well, probably not, since in this instance I don't have similar properties. I'm going to think it's a stretch to hope that folks who buy an SF adventure book will turn around and buy into a zombie apocalypse series, though some certainly will. But not enough to buoy sales across the board.

But you are up to #41 in the Kindle store. That visibility within Amazon has to be worth hundreds of extra sales on that title alone, even if there is no crossover.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
#40 now actually, which breaks my previous record! Yeah, it's going to be worth some sales for that title, and it MIGHT elevate the visibility of my backlist, but I've been checking those titles out pretty regularly over the past day, and haven't seen anything like that. Yet.

But I'd have been an idiot to refuse their offer, and while the sales didn't mirror what happened with the other book, it certainly panned out well. I made over two grand, versus a likely haul of $75 for the day. (Previous daily sales were around 21 or so per day.)

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty freakin' awesome. :D Congrats!

$3.99, huh? I am now inspired. :)

ClarissaWild

Registered
Reaction score
Nice, congratulations :) If I may ask, how did you get so many sales in the first place? What was it that made people buy your book? Did you do a lot of marketing? Or something else? I'm curious, just so I can make my own books (and marketing strategy) better :) Can always learn from other people, hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.