PDA

View Full Version : The Ashes - 2013 part one

mirandashell
07-08-2013, 06:27 PM
So, cricket lovers... are we looking forward to Wednesday?

clee984
07-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Ooo yeah, although there is that usual pre-ashes mixture of hubris and sweaty palms. Hopefully I'll get to watch some of it rather than having to follow it all online.

mirandashell
07-08-2013, 07:12 PM
I shall be listening to TMS all day, as usual. I refuse to give my money to that skank Murdoch so unfortunately I'm stuck.

Although to be fair, I do love TMS and I have bought a personal DAB radio so I can hear it on the way home from work.

clee984
07-08-2013, 07:33 PM
There's nothing not to love about TMS, I recall once collapsing in a fit of laughter when Blowers described Brett Lee as "having hands on hips, like a disgruntled teapot."

mirandashell
07-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Dear Old Blowers! LOL! He does make me laugh. I miss CMJ terribly, he was so very English in his humour. And Bill Frindle as well.

Sophia
07-08-2013, 08:42 PM
I'll definitely be watching, with the TV muted and TMS on the radio. The only thing I don't like about TMS is Aggers.

Torgo
07-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Can't wait. The greatest series of sport in the world, for my money.

mirandashell
07-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Really? I love Aggers. The only one I don't like out of the home commentators is Simon Mann. I'm hoping Alison Nicholas will be there. And I expect Tuffers and Vaughny will be punditing. But not Alec Stewart, please. He's dull.

Sophia
07-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Do you mean Alison Mitchell? I like her a lot. I was going to say that I particularly like Simon Mann! :D If they replaced Aggers with Alison Mitchell, I'd be very happy.

Edit: I only realised today that the person I've thought of as "Simon Mann" all this time is actually Ed Smith! Now I have to work out who Simon Mann is... :D

clee984
07-08-2013, 09:10 PM
I miss CMJ terribly, he was so very English in his humour.

Agreed, a big loss, I always regard Richie Benaud as being the "voice" of cricket, and CMJ as being the "pen" (his name was invariably on the byline of any cricket article I read as a kid).

I like Aggers too, and nothing against Glenn McGrath, at all, but I really enjoyed Matthew Hayden's commentary - he may have been humourless on the field, but he's hilarious off it ("At Headingley, if you listen carefully, you can actually hear the blades of grass asking Geoffrey Boycott's permission to grow").

mirandashell
07-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Do you mean Alison Mitchell? I like her a lot. I was going to say that I particularly like Simon Mann! :D If they replaced Aggers with Alison Mitchell, I'd be very happy.

D'oh! Of course it's Alison Mitchell. My apologies. Lor knows where I got Nicholas.

ajaye
07-09-2013, 08:31 AM
I shall be listening to TMS all day, as usual. I refuse to give my money to that skank Murdoch so unfortunately I'm stuck.

Although to be fair, I do love TMS and I have bought a personal DAB radio so I can hear it on the way home from work.

Does this mean you don't get the Ashes on free to air telly? Boo hiss. We didn't get the Champions Trophy on free coverage, but the Ashes will be, starting here from about 8.30pm. Only one more sleep. Then I shall have to juggle with le tour. Wheeeeeee.

ajaye
07-09-2013, 08:35 AM
There's nothing not to love about TMS, I recall once collapsing in a fit of laughter when Blowers described Brett Lee as "having hands on hips, like a disgruntled teapot."

How utterly marvellous. I want him. I'll swap you for Ian Healey. And I'll throw in Tubby Taylor.

clee984
07-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Does this mean you don't get the Ashes on free to air telly? Boo hiss. We didn't get the Champions Trophy on free coverage, but the Ashes will be, starting here from about 8.30pm. Only one more sleep. Then I shall have to juggle with le tour. Wheeeeeee.

In Britain, test cricket used to be on free to air telly - first with the bbc, then in 1999 it went to Channel 4, who revolutionised it, bringing in things like Hawk-eye, the tactics truck etc. Then after 2005 it went to the evil empire. There was some controversy as to why home test matches (the ashes in particular) aren't considered to be one of the 'crown jewel' sporting events that legally have to be on free-to-air tv (along with FA Cup soccer, the world cup, Olympics, Wimbledon etc). It used to irritate me slightly when I lived in England, because test cricket is literally the only thing I would have watched on sky tv, but I'm not paying for it on principle.

waylander
07-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Should be a fascinating series. I'm sure the Australians will make it much closer than many people are expecting. The opportunity is there for some Aussie cricketer to make his name.

ajaye
07-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Let's hope you're right Waylander :)

Torgo
07-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Should be a fascinating series. I'm sure the Australians will make it much closer than many people are expecting. The opportunity is there for some Aussie cricketer to make his name.

And of course there's Michael Clarke to reckon with. I can see him putting some proper Aussie captain runs together this series.

mirandashell
07-09-2013, 03:25 PM
ok, let's not take the piss!

:tongue

waylander
07-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Weather forecast looks good for Trent Bridge

mirandashell
07-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Beg pardon?

waylander
07-09-2013, 06:28 PM
First Test starts tomorrow at Trent Bridge, Nottingham and the forecast is dry for the duration of the match. Possibly cloudy for the first day.

mirandashell
07-09-2013, 07:47 PM
LOL! My beg pardon was to your accidental post of 'Weather orecast'.

mirandashell
07-10-2013, 01:52 PM
10 minutes to go!

About to sing Jerusalem.

Who the heck is Ashton Agar?

ajaye
07-10-2013, 02:05 PM
a secret weapon

mirandashell
07-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Interesting news about David Warner....

:rolleyes:

ajaye
07-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Let's hope while he's gone he shaves off that moustache.

mirandashell
07-10-2013, 04:45 PM
So you don't think you'll miss him?

ajaye
07-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Sure we'd miss him at his best, but they've all been struggling to produce that consistently.
They reckon he might get back into consideration for the third test onwards. Suppose it will all depend on how we go till then without him. Hopefully makes him grow up a bit anyway.

Hey your Joe Root looks about twelve :)

mirandashell
07-10-2013, 05:18 PM
I know. That's why when Warner hit him, we were more surprised that Root was allowed in the pub! LOL!

ajaye
07-10-2013, 05:30 PM
I think I'm glad you won the toss.

clee984
07-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Alastair Cook and Kevin Pieterson getting themselves out I can understand, but it's very unlike Johnathan Trott.

ajaye
07-10-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm thinking conditions making the batting tricky. But Trott did look in.

mirandashell
07-10-2013, 05:55 PM
I think I'm glad you won the toss.

I wondered about it myself at the start. Still, they do say no judgements until both sides have batted.

Very unlike Trott though.

How come you're still awake?

ajaye
07-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Just hitting midnight and le tour has already nightowled me so I should last another hour :)

mirandashell
07-10-2013, 05:59 PM
How many timezones does Aus cross?

It's just hitting 3pm here.

clee984
07-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Lol, my favourite piece of self-deprecation this year, Glenn McGrath on the radio commentary, "I couldn't really swing the ball, and I wasn't very quick, but I could land the ball ok."

I hope these two put something together, I don't like relying on Matt Prior, as great as he is. (I don't know if it's just me, but Matt Prior always reminds me of the Welsh lad from Extras (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0818648/?ref_=tt_cl_t7)).

mirandashell
07-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Bit harsh! LOL!

ajaye
07-10-2013, 06:28 PM
How many timezones does Aus cross?

There's three -
Western Australia /
Northern Territory & South Australia /
Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria & Tas.

I'm in Vic. We're 1/2 hour ahead of SA & NT, and 2 hours ahead of WA. It's different in daylight saving cos some states have it and some don't. Cos of the cows :)

mirandashell
07-10-2013, 06:59 PM
I didn't know that! Interesting! Working across state lines must be a bit of a bugger if you're constantly having to change the times.

mirandashell
07-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Blowers is making me laugh. He keeps calling your bowler 'Starkers'.

clee984
07-10-2013, 08:04 PM
I love Blowers, sometimes I expect him to end his anecdotes with "I'm afraid I was very.......very.......drunk".

Say what you like about Boycott, but he does make very good points - dashing 'one-day' style batting will only get you so far. Yeah, it looks great, but it isn't always smart - Broad throws his bat and it's all very exciting, but his dismissal was inevitable. You can forgive it in someone like Pieterson, because he is what he is - he goes out swinging, and he might get 12, he might get 150, but he can't really play any other way.

One modern player I really admire is Jacques Kallis, because he never gets carried away. He's always rock solid and smart. Anyway, I suppose wait and see until both teams have batted.

mirandashell
07-10-2013, 10:25 PM
We were saying that at work all day. In a more and more desperate tone of voice..... LOL!

But the Aussie innings started just as I got on my train home and I frightened the crap out of everyone in my carriage by screaming YES! when the first wicket fell!

I'm just watching the highlights on Channel 5 and Peter Siddle has this weird Popeye face when he's celebrating a wicket.

mirandashell
07-10-2013, 10:26 PM
And I've never really been a fan of Pietersen for that reason. There have been plenty of innings where we needed him to stay in and he has no idea how. He just plays one-day innings all the time. Drives me mad.

clee984
07-10-2013, 10:41 PM
And I've never really been a fan of Pietersen for that reason. There have been plenty of innings where we needed him to stay in and he has no idea how. He just plays one-day innings all the time. Drives me mad.

The thing about Pieterson is, he's a swashbuckler, and he's very, very good at it. Live by the sword, die by the sword, and all that. I think every team needs one (and lord knows we could have done with one or two in the 90s). It's frustrating when it's a guy like Trott, whose job it is to be anchor, and he flings his bat at a nothing ball and gets himself out.

Thrilling stuff, anyway, I'd like to see this Jimmy Anderson peach that got Michael Clarke. (As I was comparing England players to actors earlier, Jimbo puts me in mind of Timothy Olyphant (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0648249/?ref_=sr_1)).

Sophia
07-10-2013, 11:26 PM
KP, to me, is a character in Cricket: The Role-Playing Game. You roll the dice for each time he's at the crease. Sometimes you roll 66, sometimes it's up in the 90s, and sometimes it's a 1.

I love the entertainment factor he gives; he's exciting because the potential for the whole range is there, every time, and you never know what you're going to get. But I'm also glad that there's only one of him in the squad. :D

mirandashell
07-11-2013, 12:38 AM
I am aware that I'm in a very small minority when it comes to KP. LOL!

mirandashell
07-11-2013, 12:41 AM
Nah, I'm not seeing Jimbo in Timmy Elephant.

ajaye
07-11-2013, 02:41 AM
As an aussie I'm always very scared of KP.

And I didn't enjoy waking up to our scoreline this morning!

mirandashell
07-11-2013, 12:51 PM
I bet! Bit of a mad day yesterday. But it should be different today as the weather has changed. Warm temp, blue sky.

I think the first hour will be the really important one.

And I bet TPTB at Trent Bridge are really panicking about this Test not lasting til Saturday! LOL!

poetinahat
07-11-2013, 01:22 PM
I've been in Oz for twenty years as of next month - so this is, what, the eleventh Ashes series in my experience.

I didn't even know it was on. How times have changed in Sydney.

clee984
07-11-2013, 01:26 PM
And I bet TPTB at Trent Bridge are really panicking about this Test not lasting til Saturday! LOL!

Yeah, I was thinking that, why did they start the test on a Wednesday? Especially these days, when test matches tend to wrap up a lot sooner. It always used to be Thursdays were the first day. I guess it's a gamble on having either a Sunday or a Monday finish.

Torgo
07-11-2013, 01:26 PM
KP has 22 centuries and 30 half-centuries from 94 tests, at an average of 49. We lost 26 of those test matches, in which he averages 28. Basically, on a bad week for England, KP will get you thirty or so. If we're on top, it's anything from fifty to a hundred and fifty. He's a beast. He only looks mortal in the context of our team because Cook (with even better stats) and Trott (on course to do the same as KP) are also bestial.

mirandashell
07-11-2013, 01:53 PM
It's not his averages that are the problem for me. And I'm not saying he is bad player because he's not. But he can only play in one way. He always swings his bat whether we need that or not. And the position he plays in, sometimes he needs to just stay there. Just hold his wicket. And he won't. He has precipitated more than one middle order collapse.

It's not his stats. It's his attitude.

Torgo
07-11-2013, 02:12 PM
It's not his averages that are the problem for me. And I'm not saying he is bad player because he's not. But he can only play in one way. He always swings his bat whether we need that or not. And the position he plays in, sometimes he needs to just stay there. Just hold his wicket. And he won't. He has precipitated more than one middle order collapse.

It's not his stats. It's his attitude.

I've seen so many players - Ramprakash, Hick, Flintoff now and again - who are basically attacking, dominating batsmen get in to terrible trouble by trying to drop anchor. I'm not really sure playing in a way that you're not temperamentally suited to is ever a really good move. On the flip side, we'll criticise Trott for scoring slowly when we think the accelerator needs to be leant on.

It's always a bit of a gamble when KP comes to the crease but the odds really aren't that bad. In a losing cause, he averages 30.

mirandashell
07-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Hmmm... you are right about the playing against your temperament. I do admit that.

And it may be slightly more personal in that I don't much like him. The whole 'left arm spin' debacle pissed me off quite a lot and I lost respect for him then. He's very willing to take the glory when he plays well but won't take the responsibility when he doesn't.

But we'll see how he goes. I've got my fingers crossed that he doesn't screw up the dressing room again.

waylander
07-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Not too many scares for Australia in the first half hour

Torgo
07-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Smith goes! But Broad off the field for treatment again.

Torgo
07-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Not too many scares for Australia in the first half hour

Many thanks for the textbook jinxing. Really well done!

Torgo
07-11-2013, 02:39 PM
And the dangerous Haddin is removed by a snorter from Swann.

mirandashell
07-11-2013, 02:43 PM
I think I must work with Waylander. One of my colleagues keeps popping over to ask me how it's going and both times it was just before the wicket!

And Popeye is out! He did it again!

ajaye
07-11-2013, 02:57 PM
tell him to stop. quick! pleeeease.

mirandashell
07-11-2013, 03:06 PM
LOL! Oooh.... I dunno... should I do that? Hmmm...... I'll just go and ask him!

mirandashell
07-11-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm getting really fed up with this young fella. We've already got him out once and he's still scoring boundaries.

Get this bastard out!

Sophia
07-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Aww, good for him for hanging in there!

I love hearing Jim Maxwell saying "deb-oo" (debut). Makes me smile every single time.

mirandashell
07-11-2013, 03:57 PM
You! You're barred!

clee984
07-11-2013, 04:02 PM
I hope the England top order are watching this closely, if a 19 year old number 11 (alright, maybe he's not a genuine number 11, but still) on day-boo is going to top score in the first innings. Clearly it's not such a bad day for batting.

mirandashell
07-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Lunch! Finally! I so need the toilet. Back in a sec!

mirandashell
07-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Tail ender, my arse!

clee984
07-11-2013, 06:03 PM
It's a bit annoying when we apparently had him out on 6. Although thems the breaks, and it was a shame he didn't get his century.

clee984
07-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Lol, looks like we're going to get a definitive answer on Kevin Pieterson's temperament after tea. Do we want him to play his natural game? Now I'm not so sure.

mirandashell
07-11-2013, 08:19 PM
No, we don't. We want him to play sensibly like he is at the moment. And now I've said that, he'll be out.....

waylander
07-11-2013, 11:50 PM
What an astonishing innings by Agar!

Cook and Pietersen batting very solidy up to close of play. Need a lot more of that tomorrow.

clee984
07-12-2013, 02:27 PM
My favourite anecdote yesterday was Aggers, he said once he went out to face Malcolm Marshall, and "the first ball went through my armpit, someone in the crowd appealed, so I walked".

Fingers crossed Pieterson and Cook are going to grind out a huge lead.

mirandashell
07-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Maybe KP is going to prove me a liar! LOL! Or maybe he's learnt to play test cricket, rather than 5 one-dayers. Fingers crossed.

mirandashell
07-12-2013, 03:00 PM
And I no sooner say that and he's out!

I really should learn to keep my trap shut......

Torgo
07-12-2013, 03:18 PM
We're doomed. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED

mirandashell
07-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Don't Panic! Don't Panic!

Sophia
07-12-2013, 08:33 PM
I hope people don't lay into Broad too much for not walking. I think he took a hit to his personal honour for the sake of his team.

I'm surprised and disappointed in Aleem Dar. I've thought of him as pretty infallible prior to this match!

clee984
07-12-2013, 08:38 PM
All the commentators make the excellent point - would any australian batsman have walked in the same situation? No. Only modern batsman who would was Adam Gilchrist (and serious props to him for that). England had two dodgy decisions against them yesterday.

I did enjoy Boycott's giggling at how bad the decision was. There's something about that old grump having a big ol' chuckle.

mirandashell
07-12-2013, 08:58 PM
I've never rated Aleem Dar that highly, TBH. I've known him make mistakes before. But then, he has a split second to make a decision so....

And no, few batsmen walk these days.

Torgo
07-12-2013, 09:05 PM
What would Steve Waugh have done?

clee984
07-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Steve Waugh would have hit it for 4, lol.

waylander
07-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Broad should have walked.

Torgo
07-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Waylander - I think you're probably right about this, although this is one of the more contentious issues in a sport that is played in a pretty good spirit. I would actually, though, like to see a change in the laws, so that players are discouraged from walking.

I believe it is possible for players to hit the ball without realising - the kind of situation where the ball feathers the outside edge at the same moment that the inside edge hits the pad, for instance - and vice versa. I also think that there have been players in this match sawn off (Trott, Rogers) and also the victims/beneficiaries of marginal decisions (Root, Agar.) I would be happier if the responsibility for deciding who's in and who's out were entirely left to the batsman, just to avoid this kind of discussion.

It's much better IMHO if the umpires - the largely impersonal arbiters of cricketing justice - are the ones getting any blame for bad decisions. That's what fosters a good spirit of cricket, not a kind of moral balance sheet kept between the teams. Let the umpires be the sin-eaters.

(I didn't see the 'wicket' but I get the impression it would have been obvious to Broad that he'd hit it, and that it was a shocking decision. But the same opprobrium could well attach to a slightly less shocking decision where it wasn't nearly so obvious, and I don't like the slippery slope implications.)

waylander
07-12-2013, 11:36 PM
It would have been entirely obvious to Broad that he had hit it. he knows he got the benefit of a shocking decision.
I've played a lot of cricket at a decent standard. As a batsman I've had a few bad decisions, as bowler I had more, but I never stayed at the crease with something like that.
Broad may well win the game, but he has lost his honour.

Sophia
07-12-2013, 11:52 PM
Broad may well win the game, but he has lost his honour.

I understand that. I also think that if he had walked, when he was back in the changing rooms, people would have been justified in saying to him that his job was to play as part of the England squad, and the fact he walked away from that when he didn't have to was dishonourable. I think he literally took one for his team, in this case.

waylander
07-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Better to lose the match than win dishonourably.

Sophia
07-13-2013, 12:02 AM
If Broad had walked, with the reason that his honour bade him to, and the team lost as a direct result of that (if that would even be possible to prove), I wouldn't think it was better. I'd think he'd selfishly put himself before the people who were counting on him, and I'd reconsider having him in the squad again.

Edit: This is a case where I think there is honour in taking on personal shame. And like I said, I understand the opposite point of view.

mirandashell
07-13-2013, 01:53 AM
Anyway..... all I can say is that it's turned into a test match. And I loved it.

We play until at least lunchtime tomorrow, it's ours. You get us out early, it's yours. And it's fascinating.

ajaye
07-13-2013, 06:07 AM
I don't expect a batsman to walk, but gee I admire one that does. Shows real conviction, that.

I love seeing the pure joy on Ashton Agar's face. Much nicer than the snarly faces on your usual bowler.

This match feels likes it's been going for a week, not three days :) Or is that what sleep deprivation does :/

clee984
07-13-2013, 03:27 PM
I have to admit, I was a Bell-doubter at the start of his career, but that innings was brilliant.

mirandashell
07-13-2013, 03:37 PM
It was. He can be a bit in and out but I like him a lot. He often saves us with a stubborn innings.

waylander
07-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Australia need 311 to win - game on!

clee984
07-13-2013, 04:50 PM
I can see Australia getting this. A lot will depend on Swann. Fascinating stuff. I'll be interested to see if they move that Agar lad up the order - number 11 for Australia might just prove vital, and England now know what he's capable of.

waylander
07-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Going to be really tough for Australia tomorrow. Can young Agar do it again? If England get an early wicket then it is all over.

clee984
07-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Bloody hell. I'm off for a bit of a lie down and a massive cardiac arrest. My nerves can't take another series like '05.

mirandashell
07-14-2013, 05:52 PM
I know! I had my personal radio on when I was walking to the shop and said a very bad word out loud when Finn dropped that catch. Really have to stop doing that! LOL!

It turned into a very good Test. Well done England. Bad luck Australia.

And no, I'm not smirking, I swear!

clee984
07-14-2013, 06:23 PM
You have to feel for Australia, it really did look like they were going to get there, their depth of batting is very impressive. I can't remember a test match ever oscillating so wildly.

If I was Australian, I'd be praying that Jimmy Anderson is kidnapped by aliens for the summer. Without him, the England attack seems a bit toothless on the evidence of this test. Finn obviously struggled, and I think Broad is a tad overrated (" 'ee's a show pony" as Boycott might say).

Looking forward to Thursday!

mirandashell
07-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Having just seen the catch that Finn dropped, I've forgiven him. That was a tough one!

waylander
07-15-2013, 02:04 AM
Suspect that Finn will not be in the side for Lords. Bresnan seems the obvious replacement.

mirandashell
07-15-2013, 02:08 AM
I reckon so. Unless we've got an unknown all-rounder we can sneak at number 11......

ajaye
07-15-2013, 02:39 AM
What a great match. Loved watching all the nail biting in the crowd at the end as I bit my nails with my fingers crossed and left leg in the air.

Well done England.

Well done Aussies. I think I'm v happy with Lehmann getting the job.

mirandashell
07-15-2013, 02:40 AM
I reckon that could be the best thing your Admin did.

Wish Geoff would shut up about the 10-nil thing though. He should know it's just Beefy on a wind up.

mirandashell
07-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Well! This Test is different to the last one! WTF is going on, Australia?

ajaye
07-20-2013, 03:35 AM
Umm, NFI.
It's sort of what we feared early on, isn't it.
Is it the weight of expectation after the first test? Or are we just really really bad.

mirandashell
07-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Never seen your boys make so many bad decisions, though. The DRS gets them all ends up, doesn't it? And some of the shot decisions were a bit dodgy as well.

But then I say that..... Our first 3 didn't cover themselves in glory in their second innings either. WTF KP thought he was doing, I don't know!

waylander
07-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Fairly comfortable morning session for England, carry on like this and they'll be out of sight by the end of the day.

mirandashell
07-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Root and Bresnan are doing the sensible thing, I think. And the pitch isn't doing much.

waylander
07-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Close of play - England lead by 566. This can only end one way.

clee984
07-20-2013, 09:32 PM
KP reminds me of Mike Tyson towards the end of his career - no footwork, just always trying to land the haymaker.

Brilliantly played by Joe Root, batting the whole day. They say he's 22, but he barely looks like he needs to shave. I'dve guessed he was 15/16.

I think Aus are suffering from the shadow of the team that went before - they're always trying to be positive, but now they don't have the ability to back it up.

ajaye
07-21-2013, 04:53 AM
any sign of ominously dark cloudy skies over there?

waylander
07-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Forecast for today - cloudy start then skies clearing to another hot and sunny day

mirandashell
07-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Ajaye - think you can stay in for a day and a half?

ajaye
07-21-2013, 03:18 PM
No probs miranda ;)

mirandashell
07-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Seems your openers aren't thinking that way.......

LOL!

ajaye
07-21-2013, 03:43 PM
oh, I thought you said an hour and a half :)

mirandashell
07-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Lol! At least you've still got your sense of humour.....

clee984
07-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Brilliant stuff from England. Joe Root looks like a handy partnership breaking off-spinner too, he didn't seem to be chucking down too many pies, 2 vital wickets as well as 180. Bravo.

(Continuing my semi-ongoing England looky-likies, what about Ian Bell and Radiohead singer Thom Yorke? They have the same nose and mouth, same copper-ish coloured hair).

waylander
07-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Maybe Australia should reverse their batting order for the next test. Seems like the guys at 9,10 & 11 having been doing pretty well.

mirandashell
07-22-2013, 08:14 PM
I was thinking that myself!

mirandashell
07-23-2013, 12:30 AM
Bad news about Pattinson:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23414036

Lots of comments about the Aussies losing their best batsman.........

ajaye
07-23-2013, 03:23 AM
:)

How about a Warnie return.

Hey Warner would have to be getting toey.

waylander
07-23-2013, 01:24 PM
How about a Katich return?

ajaye
07-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Katich never really got a break did he :(

waylander
07-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Katich is still making decent runs in the county games.

ajaye
07-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Yes I wouldn't mind him back, I always liked him. Though I don't envy anyone brought in now, imagine the pressure on them.
Didn't Katich and Clarke have an argie bargie? God the drama. Someone should threaten to knock all their heads together, that might smarten them up. It worked with me when I was a brat :)

mirandashell
07-29-2013, 11:28 PM
I see Warner is back on Thursday. Should be fun!

Torgo
07-29-2013, 11:36 PM
I just have a sneaking suspicion that the Aussies might come back at Old Trafford. I don't know whether it's anything I can attribute to actual knowledge, or just good old English doom-mongering, but they weren't a million miles away from us at Trent Bridge - even given the freakish tail-end batting - and the English batting lineup feels unusually fragile.

mirandashell
07-29-2013, 11:40 PM
I don't know that they were that close if you take away Agar's last stand. And we kicked their arses at Lord's so....

But it is England so who knows! LOL!

Torgo
07-29-2013, 11:51 PM
I don't know that they were that close if you take away Agar's last stand. And we kicked their arses at Lord's so....

But it is England so who knows! LOL!

Yeah! Somewhat clutching at straws, but Warner's in reasonable form apparently, which might make a difference. My team would probably be:

Warner
Cowan
Khwaja
Clarke
Watson
Smith
Haddin
Harris
Siddle
Starc
Lyon

I'd bring Cowan back to open - he is an opener, after all - and ditch Phil Hughes, who is unconvincing. Watson can drop down the order where he might manage to make some runs. Lyon comes in for Agar, Starc for Pattinson.

Harris is a bloody good bowler, though he does require careful handling. Siddle's goodish and can bowl a lot of overs. Starc's OK, though I only put him in because I've never seen any of the other candidates bowl (Bird etc.) Watson, Lyon and Smith are useful bowlers (in order of usefulness.) They're not up to our standard, but they could bowl us out cheaply if we're not playing well (and I'm not sure we are playing particularly well at this point.)

mirandashell
07-29-2013, 11:57 PM
You would leave Agar out? Seems a bit harsh.

Torgo
07-30-2013, 02:48 AM
You can't really pick him for his batting, and his bowling has been way average.

ajaye
07-30-2013, 02:52 AM
I think Agar has a leg injury, not sure how bad, but it may pay us to not completely hobble him this early in his career.
They're tipping Bird will play.
Warner made a lot of runs in SA but apparently on a very flat wicket. And he had an argy bargy with the opposition wicket keeper. Good to see he's got the message. Can someone please slap him on the back of the head for me.

Torgo
07-30-2013, 03:01 AM
Is Clarke's back OK?

clee984
08-01-2013, 05:53 PM
That Khawaja decision was pretty shocking, I have to say. What's the point of having the referral system and the use of technology, if the third umpire is going to ignore it? Khwaja obviously didn't think he'd hit it, nothing on the hotspot thing, no noise, one of the camera angles clearly seemed to show that it missed the bat. And yet the decision? Out.

Makes no sense to me. At what point does the batsman get the benefit of the doubt? There was no evidence whatsoever that he hit it, even with all the fancypants technology.

mirandashell
08-01-2013, 07:14 PM
The umpires, all of them, have been terrible today. If the technology can't be used properly then either train them on it or get rid of it. It's making the situation worse.

clee984
08-01-2013, 07:52 PM
If the technology can't be used properly then either train them on it or get rid of it.

Agree, absolutely, because what's the point of having the review, if the third umpire is going to discard the evidence (or lack of) and back the onfield umpire regardless? How could Khawaja win in that situation?

waylander
08-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Some very poor umpiring.
The Australians must be pretty happy with the overnight score.

Torgo
08-02-2013, 01:18 PM
I just have a sneaking suspicion that the Aussies might come back at Old Trafford. I don't know whether it's anything I can attribute to actual knowledge, or just good old English doom-mongering, but they weren't a million miles away from us at Trent Bridge - even given the freakish tail-end batting - and the English batting lineup feels unusually fragile.

Very wise, old bean.

mirandashell
08-02-2013, 01:53 PM
I don't know. The score is what? 303 for 3? It should be 303 for 5. Then it wouldn't be looking quite so good.

Torgo
08-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I don't know. The score is what? 303 for 3? It should be 303 for 5. Then it wouldn't be looking quite so good.

303/5 is still 60 runs per wicket down - and considering how decent Australia's tail is, I fancy them to get at least 400. Plus, they get to bowl last on a track that everyone expects to spin, and I don't really fancy our batting lineup to respond well to pressure at the moment. Fingers crossed, anyway...

mirandashell
08-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Hmmm.... the pitch will change though due to the weather. And if we get a day or so of rain interruptions, it doesn't really matter whether they get 400 or 800, it will be a draw.

And to be fair, Clarke has half of that score so if he wasn't there, it would be a hell of a lot less.

I'm just getting really grumpy with the Aussie commentators bitching and moaning about Khawaja but saying nothing about the plumb LBW and the edge.

Torgo
08-02-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm just getting really grumpy with the Aussie commentators bitching and moaning about Khawaja but saying nothing about the plumb LBW and the edge.

Yeah, the LBW was a shocker. Somehow it seems worse when a shocker is compounded by a shocking DRS decision. I do feel really sorry for Khawaja.

clee984
08-02-2013, 02:24 PM
I just get the feeling that a lot is going to depend on how Cook and Trott bat in the 1st innings. If those two don't drop anchor, I think this is going to be a convincing Aus win.

I know this is going to sound weird, but I really like Darren Lehmann's head. Always have done. There's something very pleasing about it. A sculptor should do a bust. If they manufactured mugs in the shape of Darren Lehmann's head, I'd buy one.

Anyway. As you were.

mirandashell
08-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Ok..... bit odd. LOL!

Anyway... we'll just have to see how it goes. If we get Clarke out early then everything could change.

waylander
08-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Smith completely threw it away, didn't need to do that at all.
Still looking like a big Australian total.

mirandashell
08-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Well you never know until each team has batted.

mirandashell
08-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Warner - what can you say?

Is the captain a bit scared of him?

clee984
08-02-2013, 03:48 PM
I would be, lol. Bumble was saying that Warner "genuinely" thought he hadn't hit it, because Warner was shaking his head immediately, but I think they're discounting something important - ego. If a batsman immediately shakes his head, he can't then meekly say, "yeah, sorry skip, I actually did hit it, don't waste the review", without looking like a bit of a div. It's the same with boxers - if a boxer shakes his head after being hit, as if to say that the blow didn't hurt him, you can guarantee that it did.

Torgo
08-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Haven't seen it, but the Guardian OBO said he hit his pad with the bat before edging it, so I could believe that Warner thought it was pad not bat. But then as the Graun pointed out, Clarke should have told him he'd got a big nick and overruled him.

The fact that it's possible to get a nick and not know that you have, even when it's obvious to everyone else, is one of the main reasons I think that players should be encouraged never to walk. If the review had come to the wrong conclusion, as with Broad, there would presumably have been a similar fuss, right?

mirandashell
08-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Hmmm..... Geoff was saying that Warner did the review in the expectation that the 3rd umpire would not give him out. So he's thick as well! LOL!

clee984
08-02-2013, 04:02 PM
It was about as obvious a nick as you can see - the ball clearly deviated off the bat - I could see it watching real time on youtube. As Torgo said, I'm very surprised that Michael Clarke didn't overrule him.

mirandashell
08-02-2013, 04:09 PM
How are you getting to see it on YT?

clee984
08-02-2013, 04:18 PM
How are you getting to see it on YT?

I live in France, and the ECB streams sky's coverage live on youtube (in HD too) to mainland Europe and South America - basically anywhere where they wouldn't make money showing it on pay-tv. You don't get the ad breaks either, and sometimes get to hear the commentators talking when they're "off-air", although I've not heard any of them say anything scandolous yet, the best has been Bumble suddenly and incredulously exclaiming "Jude Law?? Not today, son." for no discernible reason, presumably in response to something someone said off-mic.

mirandashell
08-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Arrrgh! I'm going to have to move to France. For a couple of weeks....

LOL!

waylander
08-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Another poor decision with Bresnan's caught behind.

mirandashell
08-02-2013, 11:04 PM
That was a horrible stroke though. I thought that the point of an NW is to stay in until the end of the session.

Torgo
08-02-2013, 11:08 PM
That was a horrible stroke though. I thought that the point of an NW is to stay in until the end of the session.

We're terrible at nightwatchmen. I seem to remember us sending out a lunchwatchman a while back.

mirandashell
08-02-2013, 11:27 PM
:ROFL:

clee984
08-03-2013, 02:17 PM
We're terrible at nightwatchmen. I seem to remember us sending out a lunchwatchman a while back.

Although, do you remember Alex Tudor a few years ago? Made 99 as a nightwatchman against NZ, if I remember right.

Bresnan's a decent batsman too, I don't know why they didn't review the decision.

mirandashell
08-03-2013, 04:34 PM
I think all the players have a mistrust of the technology now and that makes it even more difficult. And maybe Cook said he wanted to keep the reviews for the top order batsmen today.

clee984
08-03-2013, 09:46 PM
My older sister isn't much of a cricket fan, but she texted me to say that she was watching the test, and that Ian Bell and Johnny Bairstow are "cute", and so was "Neil Collingwood" (sic), and she wanted to know why the England cricket team pick "attractive gingers". I said I couldn't even begin to speculate, but I doubt it's official ECB selection policy.

Well played KP, some good bowling from Australia. Game on tomorrow.

waylander
08-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Weather forecast looks dodgy for later today and tomorrow.

mirandashell
08-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Well, one step at a time I guess. We get the 35 we need and see what happens.

mirandashell
08-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Thank you Mr Harris!

clee984
08-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Reminds me of Chris Cairns, does Ryan Harris. Both the way he looks and the way he bowls.

I hope the weather doesn't interfere, I want to see Aus going all out to win this.

clee984
08-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Disappointing. Cook, Trott and Pietersen all gone early, I was really looking forward to the contest of England trying to bat out the day. Sorry, Aus.

Torgo
08-05-2013, 07:48 PM
One of the more dismal Ashes series I can remember so far. England poor, Australia even poorer, umpiring so bad it was comical, and the urn retained amid torrential rain denying the Aussies a deserved victory. I really hope the last two matches are better, or this will leave a nasty taste in the mouth.

mirandashell
08-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Oooh..... I don't know so much. 2006/7 was far more dismal than this.

Torgo
08-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Oooh..... I don't know so much. 2006/7 was far more dismal than this.

*eyelid twitch* I don't remember there being an Ashes series that year *twitch*

mirandashell
08-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Which year? What? Where am I?

clee984
08-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Made me chuckle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBJL1H84Y2A&feature=player_embedded).

mirandashell
08-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Thank the lord for Ian Bell!

clee984
08-12-2013, 06:30 PM
The I.Ron Bell of justice, as my mate calls him! Very useful knocks from Bresnan and Swann too.

Need a wicket now, though.

mirandashell
08-12-2013, 06:32 PM
I thought we were going to get one but they've let the pressure off now.

clee984
08-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see England be more proactive and put some pressure on, they seem to be just waiting for something to happen at the moment.

mirandashell
08-12-2013, 08:14 PM
I've just had to turn the radio off cos Geoff is being so fecking annoying.....

clee984
08-12-2013, 08:20 PM
I've just had to turn the radio off cos Geoff is being so fecking annoying.....

Lol, what was he saying? Bless 'im, I read a biography of Boycott a few years ago, an anecdotal conversation from his playing days that really made me chuckle....

Boycott - Why does everyone always take an instant dislike to me?
Teammate - Because it saves time.

They should get Root on bowling to Warner. Would get the crowd going, if nothing else.

mirandashell
08-12-2013, 08:25 PM
It's not so much what he was saying, it was more his tone. You know when he gets into rant mode and just won't STFU. No-one else can get a word in. And he's so patronising and dismissive of the England players.

Seriously, he's the TMS version of Lord Haw-Haw.

clee984
08-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Lol, he is like Lord Haw-Haw! This is Yorkshire calling, Yorkshire calling.........When England players are doing well, he taught 'em everything they know, when they're not doing so well, they're worse than his mum and her pinny/stick of rhubarb. I think he's one of those very rare people who genuinely doesn't care what people think about him, and it gives him a sort of awesome, terrible power.

I think it's very sweet on the sky coverage how much Shane Warne misses Bumble. He keeps mentioning him, wanting to know what he's up to.

mirandashell
08-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Someone emailed in and asked if anyone had a fancy dress costume he could borrow as he didn't want his boss to see him at the cricket tomorrow. Another fella said he has a Geoff Boycott disguise. Then the first bloke would have the whole stand to himself.....

:ROFL:

So where's Bumble?

clee984
08-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Lol, poor old Geoff! A man who could almost, almost irritate Richie Benaud. Almost.

Bumble's having knee replacement surgery. Warne keeps asking him to tweet or email in, and the others are taking the piss out of him for missing "his friend".

If Stuart Broad wins this test match for us, I'll take back everything I ever said about him being overrated.

mirandashell
08-12-2013, 09:28 PM
There's a bit of a collapse going on......

clee984
08-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Haddin's the man. Need to get Haddin. Or just keep him at the non-striker's end and blow away the other guys :D

mirandashell
08-12-2013, 09:38 PM
They're reviewing..... and he's gone! WOW!

clee984
08-12-2013, 09:53 PM
You've got to love test cricket. A 5 day game that can change so quickly. Nothing like it.

mirandashell
08-12-2013, 10:13 PM
I am now listening to the last 3 overs on the radio and watching the highlights on Channel 5.

It's very confusing.....

mirandashell
08-12-2013, 10:16 PM
I just saw that dropped catch by Smith. Bless him! That's one of the funniest drops I've ever seen!

waylander
08-13-2013, 12:35 AM
If Stuart Broad wins this test match for us, I'll take back everything I ever said about him being overrated.

[Waiting]

What a classic match. When I left work @4.30 it was about 100-0. I thought Australia were set up to win by lunchtime tomorrow.

mirandashell
08-13-2013, 01:23 AM
[Also waiting]

That was a great match.

clee984
08-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Ahem. *sips water, puts on reading glasses, shuffles papers, taps microphone*. I take back everything I ever said about Stuart Broad being overrated.

mirandashell
08-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Good show, sir!

mirandashell
08-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Interesting article by Alec Stewart:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23683136

Sophia
08-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Yikes, poor Watson! I'm glad he seems to be okay.

He's been playing so well, I hope this doesn't break his concentration.

clee984
08-21-2013, 06:52 PM
It was a nasty crack wasn't it, looked like it hit him just under his left ear. Ouch. Glad he's ok.

mirandashell
08-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Who the heck is that new bowler for England? He's crap!

mirandashell
08-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Boy this is dull.

I hate these kinds of games. Bored bored bored.

Why didn't the umpires do something about the ridiculously slow play? Standing there like garden gnomes.

clee984
08-25-2013, 09:43 PM
It's not dull anymore! Great stuff.

mirandashell
08-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Yeah, finally!

It would be funny if we won this one.

Have you been following the Women's Ashes at all?

clee984
08-25-2013, 09:53 PM
I think it's great, fantastic batting from Pieterson, and I have to admire Michael Clarke's captaincy, complete balls-to-the-wall, no fear of losing, let's go for this.

I saw the England wicketkeeper's catch earlier on, how did she do that?? It was like something out of The Matrix. I think we're two one up, now.

mirandashell
08-25-2013, 09:55 PM
We're six points to four up so we only need to draw the next one and we've won it. I haven't seen any footage, just been following it on Cricinfo.

mirandashell
08-25-2013, 10:17 PM
The men's is getting a bit nerve-wracking......

clee984
08-25-2013, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure who the aussie batsman was, but the England wicketkeeper did a shuffle to first slip, then a weird hang-time planking stretch to catch it.

I don't know why they didn't send Prior in. I'dve sent him in earlier. I'm excited, I don't mind admitting.

mirandashell
08-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Oh you are fucking joking, Aleem Dar! How can you stop this for light? There's only four overs left!

clee984
08-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Urrrgggh. Just. Urrrrrgggh. The best and the worst of cricket in one day. Ballsy captaincy from Clarke, great batting from England, great fielding from Aus, and then......oh crumbs, a bit of bad light. Let's go home. I know it's their job and everything, but as a fan, it's so frustrating.

mirandashell
08-25-2013, 10:49 PM
It's not really the umps fault. It's that stupid ICC rule. We need to go back to the common sense way

clee984
08-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Also, I don't want to speak for australians here (but I'm gonna), I think they'd probably rather be 'carried out on their shield' like the sportsmen that they are, and actually finish the game, rather than this tame ICC rule intervening. Who does it serve? When has any fielder (or batsman) been injured because they can't see the ball due to bad light? I can't recall it ever happening, in any form of the game, no matter how bad the light.

I understand the logic. It's just sad that this is the result.

mirandashell
08-25-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm not sure about that. Clarke was arguing quite heatedly that the umps should call it off for light.

Sophia
08-25-2013, 11:09 PM
It was unfair on the Australians to go on for so long, and I don't blame Clarke for arguing. The commentators seemed sure that they had gone off in better light earlier in the series.

I think the ICC rule should actually stay, as frustrating as it is, because there has to be a fair limit set somewhere. Going back to offering the option to a side and having them decide based on how well it suited them was worse than this.

Maybe they should get more lighting at the grounds. :)

Australia, thank you for a great series. It was very entertaining. See you in three months!

mirandashell
08-26-2013, 12:11 AM
I'm not saying that it should be down to the sides, it should be up to the umpire. But they should also be allowed to use their common sense.

It's not just for the players. There's a lot of people paid a lot money to watch it. They should also be taken into consideration.

mirandashell
08-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Would just like to say Well Done! to the England Ladies for regaining the Ashes.

Nualláin
08-31-2013, 07:38 PM
Oh look, a cricket thread!

Enjoyed the Ashes series, and I predicted a 3-0 victory at Durham months before we started, so felt pretty smug about that. Ian Bell is a colossus, though, and only he and a few inspired spells of bowling produced that scoreline.

Watching the second T20 now. Finch has gone for 5 after that spectacular knock in the first one, Aussies are 34-2 chasing 196. Also well done to the ladies for winning their series as well!

mirandashell
08-31-2013, 10:06 PM
Where have you been? LOL! You've missed all the fun!

Nualláin
09-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Hah, I know! I haven't been on AW in ages, otherwise I'd have been all over this thread. Just dropped in last night to see how this place was doing, and spotted the thread by pure chance.

Good victory today to draw the T20s, not that it matters near as much as the Tests. Now we go all of six days before playing the Aussies again. Whatever will I do?

mirandashell
09-01-2013, 03:55 PM
I know. Won't know what to do with myself.....