Post-Operative Recovery (Abdominal Surgery)

saizine

follow your bliss
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reworking a section of a WIP that has a character recovering from emergency abdominal surgery following a gunshot wound. As my previous posts here may suggest, I've figured out the type of wound and typical recovery, but my first draft seems to have some inaccuracies that bother of my beta.

From what I can gather (and I am in no way familiar with emergency medical procedure or recovery; I can make my way around a chemist's but that's about it!) the operation to remove the bullet would be considered 'open abdominal surgery.' I've had a look at several hospital's suggestions for what to expect post-operatively, but I'm assuming those are for people who expect to go in, have a relatively simple in-and-out operation and can prepare ahead of time.

I suppose I'm asking how much those 'post-operative expectations' could differ from a patient who needs emergency trauma surgery? Several of the sources I've been looking at suggest that the patient would be encouraged to sit in a chair/take a short walk, may or may not be allowed to take clear liquids as comfortable. The second and third days following surgery may involve thicker liquids/solid foods as comfortable, pain medication via pills instead of IV, and more walking. The fourth day is likely for discharge although not guaranteed depending on the patient's condition. Now, all of these suggestions seem to be for patients who have planned for their surgeries, so would this timeline/progression be affected by the fact it was emergency surgery? I'd imagine it would, but that's just an instinct. Seeing as there was no pre-operative instructions in place (nil by mouth after midnight, etc) then I'd expect heightened nausea. But what else could be expected?

The character in question has been very lucky: the bullet was slowed by the abdominal wall and any injury to the internal organs was minimized. The surgery has removed the bullet, fixed any damage, and managed internal bleeding. Upon regaining consciousness, the character has monitors and oximetry attached, IV liquids, antibiotics and blood transfusions for the bleeding. Apart from the gunshot wound, the character is fit and healthy.

My beta is also suggesting that the character would be 'out of it' for around 48 hours, drifting in and out of consciousness, as well as reluctant to speak for a similar amount of time due to intubation. Now, while I expect that is true, the time frame concerns me a bit. Forty-eight hours seems like a lot, but then again, I've never been under a GA (just a deep sedation). But as far as I can tell, coming around from GA is highly personal and I'm not sure everyone would be 'out of it' and constantly nauseous for an entire forty eight hours. Members of my family I've asked have had GAs and come around the same day of their surgery, uncomfortable and in pain and tired but not drifting in and out of consciousness involuntarily. I'm keen to incorporate some of the beta's suggestions, as they are first hand, but I'm concerned that one experience is not universal. I'm not looking for an extreme reaction for my character, nor do I want to extend his stay in hospital. Would it be entirely out of the question for the character to peruse a newspaper the evening of his surgery, considering that he was operated on in the early hours (around 3-4am)?

Also: a quick bit of research tells me that the patient has to be responsive before the removal of an endotracheal tube, but would he/she remember it? A few posts online say people are hazy about the memory and others don't remember, so would not remembering it be typical?

(Sorry to make another post about this! This rewrite is really getting to me, and you guys have always been so helpful.)

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reworking a section of a WIP that has a character recovering from emergency abdominal surgery following a gunshot wound. As my previous posts here may suggest, I've figured out the type of wound and typical recovery, but my first draft seems to have some inaccuracies that bother of my beta.

From what I can gather (and I am in no way familiar with emergency medical procedure or recovery; I can make my way around a chemist's but that's about it!) the operation to remove the bullet would be considered 'open abdominal surgery.'
First off you don't operate to, "remove the bullet." You operate to stop internal bleeding and repair damage. If you happen to find the bullet and it's easy to retrieve you get it for the police, not for the patient, and there's a whole chain of custody thing.
I've had a look at several hospital's suggestions for what to expect post-operatively, but I'm assuming those are for people who expect to go in, have a relatively simple in-and-out operation and can prepare ahead of time.
yes
I suppose I'm asking how much those 'post-operative expectations' could differ from a patient who needs emergency trauma surgery?
The big difference is that the trauma patient has an unprepped bowel, so damage to stomach, intestines or large bowel will result in spillage of those respective contents and make for a contaminated surgery almost guaranteeing an abscess.
Several of the sources I've been looking at suggest that the patient would be encouraged to sit in a chair/take a short walk,
yes, to avoid blood clots, also incentive spirometry
may or may not be allowed to take clear liquids as comfortable.
absolutely not! NO, No No! You do not get anything by mouth, except the rare ice chip and hard candy until ileus has resolved. Ileus is the paralyzation of the gut due to a combination of the trauma and anaesthetic. Trying to feed a patient before that has resolved will likely result in them dehissing the incision and getting aspiration pneumonia. The best sign that ileus is resolved is when you can easily fart without messing your pants. Not just little toots either. Realistically that will be day 3 at the earliest, typically post op day 5, and 7 wouldn't be that extreme. then you start sips and pills and advance a day or two later.
The second and third days following surgery may involve thicker liquids/solid foods as comfortable, pain medication via pills instead of IV, and more walking. The fourth day is likely for discharge although not guaranteed depending on the patient's condition. Now, all of these suggestions seem to be for patients who have planned for their surgeries, so would this timeline/progression be affected by the fact it was emergency surgery? I'd imagine it would, but that's just an instinct. Seeing as there was no pre-operative instructions in place (nil by mouth after midnight, etc) then I'd expect heightened nausea. But what else could be expected?
Your beta reader is obviously not a trauma surgeon.
The character in question has been very lucky: the bullet was slowed by the abdominal wall
was this a musket with a light charge? Does your patient have some built in armor? The abdominal wall under normal circumstances with modern firearms will not effectively provide any armor.
and any injury to the internal organs was minimized.
that's luck, not the abdominal wall.
The surgery has removed the bullet, fixed any damage, and managed internal bleeding. Upon regaining consciousness, the character has monitors and oximetry attached, IV liquids, antibiotics and blood transfusions for the bleeding. Apart from the gunshot wound, the character is fit and healthy.
ok
My beta is also suggesting that the character would be 'out of it' for around 48 hours, drifting in and out of consciousness, as well as reluctant to speak for a similar amount of time due to intubation.
get a new beta. Yes they may have a sore throat for about a week, but it doesn't normally make a difference if they speak. Swallowing very well may hurt, but again they aren't supposed to be eating, so it's something that few patients have any major complaints about.
Now, while I expect that is true, the time frame concerns me a bit. Forty-eight hours seems like a lot, but then again, I've never been under a GA (just a deep sedation). But as far as I can tell, coming around from GA is highly personal and I'm not sure everyone would be 'out of it' and constantly nauseous for an entire forty eight hours.
The nausea is believable especially if someone who doesn't know what they're doing gives the patient anything to eat or drink...again ileus.
Members of my family I've asked have had GAs and come around the same day of their surgery, uncomfortable and in pain and tired but not drifting in and out of consciousness
Right. If they're drifting in and out either ther's a head injury or they are being overdosed on pain meds.
involuntarily. I'm keen to incorporate some of the beta's suggestions, as they are first hand, but I'm concerned that one experience is not universal.
A patient might report intermittent consciousness due to retrograde amnesia from the anaesthetics, but to an observer they are not drifting in and out. They're just forgetful.
I'm not looking for an extreme reaction for my character, nor do I want to extend his stay in hospital. Would it be entirely out of the question for the character to peruse a newspaper the evening of his surgery, considering that he was operated on in the early hours (around 3-4am)?
yes, completely believable.
Also: a quick bit of research tells me that the patient has to be responsive before the removal of an endotracheal tube, but would he/she remember it?
very few remember it and it's done normally in the operating room
A few posts online say people are hazy about the memory and others don't remember, so would not remembering it be typical?

(Sorry to make another post about this! This rewrite is really getting to me, and you guys have always been so helpful.)

Last edited:

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saizine

The character in question has been very lucky: the bullet was slowed by the abdominal wall

was this a musket with a light charge? Does your patient have some built in armor? The abdominal wall under normal circumstances with modern firearms will not effectively provide any armor.

What he said. The abdominal wall is not going to slow the bullet down, at all. (Barring some sort of SF "my character is a mutant" sort of thing).

-May-

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I've had a abdominal surgery - not for a bullet wound or anything so major, but it required sedation, etc.

I don't remember anything about the tracheal tube.

I faintly remember people calling my name a lot. Then I remember waking up in the post-op center really thirsty. I was in and out of consciousness there for probably an hour or two after I initially remember waking up.

Then I just felt really woozy and tired but that passed within the next 6 hours or so, and I was able to stay awake. I was kind of confused. My fiance kept telling me I was acting really cute - whatever that means!

My Aunt on the other hand, is allergic to the sedatives, so she has a worse reaction than most. She will be out of it the first 24 hours and then drift in and out of consciousness up to 2 days later.

saizine

follow your bliss
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies!

I think I was clumsy in my wording about the nature of the injury. I'm working off suggestions given in this previous thread and re-reading the OP I realise I've assigned correlation where there is none. In any case, the exact nature of the wound isn't essential to the plot. As long as it is possible for an individual to sustain a bullet wound to the abdomen and have relatively slight damage to the internal organs, then that's fine. It appears to be possible, albeit with a v. large amount of luck!

GeorgeK, I'm going to do a lot of reading on (post-surgical) ileus.

Taking into account that I'm now thinking my beta's suggestions were on the extreme end of a postoperative reaction (which, tbh, I had an inkling that they were) would it be possible for the patient to...

1. Come round slowly, in-and-out for a bit and then relatively alert? (As you've said above, the in-and-out is more to do with memory than actuality. Possibly with a bit of nausea)
2. Only be given the occasional ice chip.
3. The endotracheal tube results in a sore throat but doesn't impair speech.
3. Spend the rest of the day v. tired and a bit groggy but awake apart from a few naps?
4. Eventually, later in the day, hold (relatively short) conversations and read a newspaper?

And just to clarify--the patient would be encouraged to sit down in a chair/take a short walk and do breathing exercises even on the day of (or day after) his surgery? Again, my beta suggested that he wouldn't even be able to roll over on his own but now I'm not sure how feasible that is. As far as I can tell once you've come around from the GA and are relatively awake you'd be all right with movement that doesn't involve the incision.

-May-, that is the sort of response I'd be hoping for my character. Again, it's clear that reaction to GA is v. personal! Can I just ask you to clarify if the period when you were 'kind of confused' was during the 6 hours of wooziness/tiredness or after, when you were able to stay awake?

Thanks so much for the replies; I'm trying to get my head around this and your answers have been v. helpful!

kestra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kestra.ca
And this is present day, right? I just ask because anesthetics have changed a lot. My husband's story about recovery from GA almost 20 years ago, is completely different from mine 5 years ago.

saizine

follow your bliss
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I should have specified. Present day, UK hospital.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Tubal ligation: Woke up fine, as if from a nap, and was sitting as soon as I took stock of which ab muscles I needed to help. Nurses let me get up and walk around (I wanted to see if I could) within 10 minutes. By 15 minutes awake, I was bored and ready to go, but my ride wasn't allowed to take me for 45. They let me out after 30.

No nausea. No memory issues. Just sleepy and a wicked bruise on my left arm from the IV and a bit of a sore throat. I went for a 30 minute walk the next day. I also didn't fill my pain script.

But, as I said, tubal, planned. I did notice that the gas they used to inflate my belly took an alarming amount of time to go away completely. When I left the hospital, I looked like I was 6 months pregnant (kinda the opposite of what you want after a tubal lol), and it took a good 3 months for my belly to flatten again.

So, for a perfectly healthy person (I took a 2 week break from yoga, and then spent the next 2 weeks not doing anything that specifically worked my abs), it's possible for a non-traumatic surgery to have a very quick recovery.

Mind you, for the first week, when I leaned forward, it felt like my guts were spilling out my belly button.

-May-

Registered
Reaction score
In response to your follow up question, I would say both. I was definitely confused right after waking. I remember wondering if I was dreaming about being awake or if I was really awake.

It was really strange because they placed my feet toward the wall, with my head the other way. The wall had a colorful picture of a waterfall and I kept falling asleep thinking about it.

After I was fully "awake" and just really groggy, I was still slightly confused but more "slow". It just took awhile for things to register, and I think I was speaking and moving kind of slowly as well. This lasted about 3-4 hours. Once I was alert enough, and could walk without too much help I could go - but I had to be able to pee first, which kind of sucked because you can't drink anything like 12 hours before hand and I was super dehydrated.

I just asked my bf how I was acting to get a clearer idea. He did an impression and it reminds me of someone who is REALLY REALLY stoned. lol. He said I didn't seem to know where I was or what was going on and I just had a big smile on my face and was kind of like "whatever".

I'd be happy to answer anything else if you need - or read the scene and see if it jogs my memory of other things :)

To add to Jennonontheisland

OMG that gas they fill you up with SUCKS! Thats probably the most painful part post-op. It floats around inside of you, getting stuck in your shoulders and aching really bad.

Docaggie

Registered
Reaction score
Day of surgery, especially a gunshot wound or similar penetrating trauma, the patient will either go to the recovery room or the ICU, depending on how bad things went. With a surgery that went well, the patient is extubated in the OR. Patients will typically be able to answer simple questions at that time, like 'Are you hurting?'.

They're taken to the recovery room for 2 hours or so, then transferred to their hospital room. Patients are in and out in the recovery room, but it's patient dependent. Some snore the whole time. Others are conversant - though most have no recall later. Given my status, I was able to stay in the recovery room with my wife after her lap hysterectomy. She was mostly out which is normal. We talked a little about a few things. Next day? Zero remembrance of the PACU. So take your pick.

Once in their room, they're in bed. Period. No one who's just had an open incision is going to be getting up out of bed that same day. No way. If things are going smoothly, maybe the next day. Most will nap the rest of the day but be easily aroused. While we typically describe anesthesia as 'sleep', in reality it's unconsciousness. And having surgery is like going out exercising for awhile. It takes a toll on the body, and people emerge exhausted. I often equate it to taking a jog that you don't remember.

The rest of the hospital course is dependent on patient stability and bowel function. No bowel function = nothing by mouth. Most common question that's asked of these patients is 'Did you pass gas this morning?'.

Hope that helps.

(FYI, all this is based on my substantial experience at a trauma hospital in the US. Not sure how the UK differs.)

saizine

follow your bliss
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the replies everyone! They've been massively helpful. From the information here I'm starting to see now that my scene wasn't as far off the mark as my beta was suggesting, but there are a few things that need correcting and I'm pleased I've been able to get such detailed feedback!

Thanks again--you guys are always brilliant!

storygirl99

Registered
Reaction score
Seems you've gotten the info you need, so I'll make this brief.

I had a very serious open abdominal surgery 3 years ago. I have an incision all the way down my abdomen, almost a foot long. I was given an epidural (like in pregnancy) immediately after surgery and it stayed in for 3 days. After that I was given a morphine pump.

I remember being told that I wouldn't remember anything after surgery-- that stuck in my brain and I made a conscious effort to try and remember everything I could. I distinctly remember waking up from surgery in overwhelming pain. I have a vague memory of the epidural being put in, and of hearing my father and husband talking about me and the surgery as I was waking up. I was too groggy to answer, but I could hear everything they said.

I was in the hospital for 11 days post-op and I wanted to go home, but I hadn't yet had a bowel movement. I basically lied about my bowels to get released. After I got home, I had some gas movement in my "frozen" belly that was one of the most painful episodes I've ever had in my life. It lasted about an hour, but afterward I finally was able to crap again--sweet relief! And I healed quite quickly and relatively painlessly after that.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
When I had my appendix out at ten years old, they kept wanting me to pee afterwards. I have always had trouble urinating under stressful conditions and here I was in extreme pain, with no privacy, people standing around, watching me try to pee . . . not gonna happen! They catheterized me because they were afraid my bladder would rupture. But if they'd just left me alone for five minutes, I would've peed just fine.

When my husband had surgery to remove a tumor, they went in through his lower abdomen. He went home the same day, but I had to make him get up and pee. He was quite cranky that I made him wake up and limp to the bathroom when all he wanted to do was sleep, but the doctors insisted that I had to make sure he was able to pee afterwards.