Status
Not open for further replies.

dante-x

Registered
Reaction score
“Digging to the rhythm and the echo of a solitary
Website
www.mirrorsthejourney.com
[font=Times New Roman, serif]Horror writers, what elements do you think make a villain truly horrifying? You know the sort that will make you regret you picked up the book because you can no longer sleep at night, but not wanting to put it down until there is some sort of resolution.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]I haven't really tried writing in Horror before, but I find fear, beyond primal fight and flight, one of the most intriguing aspects of human interaction. [/font]

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The scariest villains to me are the ones that also manage to show some common decency, though it is overwhelmed by their inhumanity, the combination of which is pretty rare find in both horror novels and films. If a villain can seem almost like a regular guy, that freaks me out. Makes me think that damn, maybe someone I even know who I think is an average joe could be a psychopath with plans to massacre somebody this very evening. Then I could be like all of the other people saying "But he seemed like such a nice guy" when I'm getting interviewed later.

That aside, other stuff in general that creeps me out include:

Abnormally tall & gangly people (shudder)
Near-harmonic but mangled voice patterns (shudder)
Genuine genius and ingenuity used for the purpose of evil (what if MacGyver was a serial killer? shudder...)

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
The best villians to me are the human ones. Hannibal Lecter is one of the best that pops to mind right off the bat.

Macgyver would have been a hell of a serial killer. You wouldn't be able to keep that guy in prison.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Funny how the villains that frightened me as a kid were the scariest looking ones but I agree with all of the above. The tall, nice dressed gentleman with a dapper smile and a twinkle in his eye leaving you wondering what's on his mind. I think about a scene in American Psycho when Christian Bale invited a gal from the office over to his apartment and as she talks about life and dating he's pacing around behind her thinking of a way to kill where she sits, and she's completely unaware! We don't know what people do behind closed doors, when they shed their public costumes and masks and become their true, inner selves. I remember a friend of the family from when I was a child. He was a nice enough guy, took me for rides in his truck and played country western music too damned loud but ended up in prison for beating and molesting his daughter. As a kid it didn't really hit me until the real implications sunk in during my teen years. The guys was a creep that I trusted and liked. That's the scariest villain.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The viilain that kills with cold economy of motion, primal cunning, and without remorse or apparent reason. A couple of times in my former life, I had close encounters with the "criminally insane" ( I hate that term, but in this case, I suppose it serves) The first thing that strikes you is the dull eyes, lack of any apprent focus. That "no one is home" look. Then, the abrupt hostility, devoid of any signs of restraint, or of humanity. The violence seems to come from the ether with no apparent catalyst, and you suddently realize fthat, for whatever reason, the universe has ceased to exist for this person. Only you and he are "real" in his mind, and he wants you dead.

Sound melodramatic? Well, sorry. It was a melodramatic moment. :)

dante-x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
These very human easy to relate to villains seem scary not only because they are terrifying in and of themselves, but they also make our own reality horrific. That is a feeling not easily shaken off once you put down the book, walk out of the theater, or turn off the TV.

In addition to these very human psychopaths, what do you think makes the "supernatural" Villain creepy? For example what is it about the mysterious demon from "The Exorcist" that gives people the heeby jeebies (sp)? Both human and supernatural villains seem very different yet share the potential to induce some very troubling feelings.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
dante-x said:
In addition to these very human psychopaths, what do you think makes the "supernatural" Villain creepy? For example what is it about the mysterious demon from "The Exorcist" that gives people the heeby jeebies (sp)? Both human and supernatural villains seem very different yet share the potential to induce some very troubling feelings.

Supernatural villains with mysterious, malevolent motives freak me out, and also ones with relatively subtle appearances. Candyman-creepy. The sprawling, spirit conglomerate tar-tentacled thing at the end of the House on Haunted Hill remake, not so creepy. Also the history of the supernatural being adds to the horror for me. The fact that "Pennywise" reappeared every so many years in It was scary to me, for reasons I'm not sure of.

dante-x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Jcomp said:
The fact that "Pennywise" reappeared every so many years in It was scary to me, for reasons I'm not sure of.

Ugh... Pennywise makes me shiver. Probably the source of my mild clown phobia. I think what I find freaky is when the villain or entitt appears malevolent, its intelligence is either evident but incomprehensible, and it's vaguely understood. From the roster of supernatural villains I would say Pennywise, the girl from "The Ring", and the spirit from "The Grudge" were the most poignant.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The supernatural bad guys, my own personal writing preference, make for great villains due to the reasons stated by Dante. They pose a problem, both intellectually and physically, that humans aren't hardwired to deal with. We can't understand the thought process unless we're "lucky" enough to distill that process down to a single motive/thought.

If you consider all the demonic entities and aliens that have invaded print or film, they've all been superior to us, not just in sheer number, but in intelligence, physical prowess, etc... Usually when humans defeat such entities, it's either through "luck" or divine providence. In other words, unless we roll 7/11, or God Almighty intervenes, we're toast. Such scenarios make for natural page turners.

Jcomp and Dante identified my all-time favortive nemesis, Pennywise.

Last edited:

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'll add madness to that. It's the sheer unpredictability I find frightening.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Jcomp said:
The scariest villains to me are the ones that also manage to show some common decency, though it is overwhelmed by their inhumanity, the combination of which is pretty rare find in both horror novels and films.

This makes me think of Annie Wilkes in Misery. She was scary.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
The supernatural creeps that do the impossible, making those little areas we deemed safe completely the opposite.

Remember when little Reagan crab walked backwards down the stairs in The Exorsist? How about the creature that pulled a man through the cracks of a crate then ate him in front of Hal Halbrook in Creepshow? It's those reality warping moments that make my skin crawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.