Horse Questions

spice chai

Registered
Reaction score
I know little or nothing about horses. I'm writing a sword and sorcery story where the protagonist (who also knows little or nothing about horses) has had her two horses run away. They were saddled/bridled and have been on their own overnight. (Roughly 14 hours, summer tundra/taiga mix, small lakes available.)

Once she finds them again, what do they need? Will they need their saddles/bridles/packs removed for a while to rest/dry out/whatever? Can the horses communicate what they need to her? Can she immediately ride them where she needs to go?

Ok, thanks for any help!

Ziast

Registered
Reaction score
You'd probably have at least one horse with a broken bridle from stepping on the reins. She should check for sore and rubs from the tack, recheck everything it properly fitting. If they were not running around, they should have been able to find graze and find water, depending on proximity to the lakes and the season. She should be able to get back on soon enough if they are sound.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
FYI, also check out the "Useful Research Links" thread stickied to the top of this forum for several links about horses.

spice chai

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Lots of great info.

(Although thanks to you guys I ended up spending hours reading about horses on Sunday rather than hours writing, and still only got through 8 of the 24 pages of horse info on the first link.)

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
I've also been doing tons of research reading rather than writing, Spice. :)

I definitely checking the tack and making sure they don't have sores, haven't thrown a shoe or anything. They'll need food and water, maybe a little time to rest. I haven't read the links (I have dysfunctional humans rather than horses to figure out), but I'm sure you're on the right track. :)

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
In a practical sense - here's what I would do. Immediately eyeball their condition. Any apparent injuries? Surface wounds? Feet? Shoes? Signs of Lameness? NO? What condition is the tack in? Is it still in place and proper? Damage? (Broken reins most likely if you want some damage). Next REMOVE the tack and check again.

Have they been eating? Have they had access to water? If there's no apparent grazing or water source, then you'll need to feed and water them. If they're in decent shape - tack them up (after repairing damage if any) and you're good to go.