Which dinosaurs could people hunt?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Hey everyone,

In the WIP, there are dinosaurs and they are hunted. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which species would provide:

1. tough hide that could be made into armor
2. sport - the thrill of the hunt?

I'm thinking the people have primitive firearms like muskets, so they're not likely to be taking down acrosaurs with grenades or spraying velociraptor packs with an AK-47.

Thanks in advance. :)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Would maybe some of the smaller herbivores be an idea? Are they used to being killed by a gun?

I'm thinking of the Plains Buffalo in the 19th century. That kind of thing

AddiG

Dumb blonde :)
Registered
Reaction score
The Ampelosaurus. It has thick armor-like skin on the back, neck and tale, and it's spikey which would be cool looking as armor. Google it to see if you like what it looks like.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All leather when properly treated makes a basic armor. Nothing except modern tech stops bullets anyways.

Dino skin, being thick, might even be too heavy when cured. Thicker, tough scaled skin for the critical bits, and skin from smaller dinos for other important bits? You could make the helmets rather ornamental without too much burden though. Maybe.

I just wanted to post because this is the best thread evar. :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Btw, a time honored way of hunting is to find a big cliff and drive the animals over it. Assuming its not a rocky slope, there wont be too much hide damage all in all.

A bit of fire and some musket pellets hitting a beast can make it panic. We humans are good at killing much larger animals. We hunted mamoths and many other large mammals with spears. We're crazy like that.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last post for now- for a thrill, send a pack of hunters after a pack of medium sized raptors. Nothing like going after a smart predator to say you are superior (unless the raptors win. Go raptors!)

Nonfic

Thick Fish; Learning About New Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Ankylosaurus.

Which was basically a dinosaur armadillo. Its referred to as an armored dinosaur, so I'm guessing it's probably your best bet. It also had a killer tail.

Stegosaurus

It don't know about the hide but it had very tough bony plates.

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
When it comes to the hide thing; Newer evidence shows a lot of dinosaurs were feathered. I haven't followed the research/debate closely, so not sure how it stands at the moment. I don't remember there being any actual proof that any land didnosaur was not feathered, but I might have missed any such evidence.
It depends on how scientific you want to be of course, but you may have to exchange hide armour with feathered cloaks.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
When it comes to the hide thing; Newer evidence shows a lot of dinosaurs were feathered. I haven't followed the research/debate closely, so not sure how it stands at the moment. I don't remember there being any actual proof that any land didnosaur was not feathered, but I might have missed any such evidence.
It depends on how scientific you want to be of course, but you may have to exchange hide armour with feathered cloaks.
You just pluck the feathers off first: ostrich skin boots, etc. Plus, vast quantities of feathers, maybe down, as well!
Hide armour and feather cloaks!
Not to mention really big drumsticks!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Feathered dino hides would not be like the thin chicken hides of modern birds. Since the skin is the largest organ in mammals and probably still the largest in birds, the birds had to go with 'paper thin' to reduce weight for flight. Dinos had no evolutionary benefit to thin hides. There are recent theories on the benefits of feathers (as evolution doesnt follow intellegent design and can't plan for flight.)

Plus I'm sure you could research what hide fossil samples were found...

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... don't necessarily settle a small species.
For as the saying goes,
"The bigger they are; the harder they fall."

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Dino skin, being thick, might even be too heavy when cured. Thicker, tough scaled skin for the critical bits, and skin from smaller dinos for other important bits? You could make the helmets rather ornamental without too much burden though. Maybe.

I just wanted to post because this is the best thread evar. :)

Thanks, Fenika!

The dinosaurs were meant as a throwaway detail to flesh out the world, but the more I come to think of it, the more I want to incorporate them into the story in a major way, because what you guys are coming up with is really interesting. The suggestion of using hide from different dinosaurs is great. Makes me think of patchwork armor. And the spikes and bony plates would look intimidating.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Given that there's no animal of any size in any habitat that humans have not hunted, given the chance, I imagine the same would probably be true in a human vs. dinosaur environment too. Especially with guns. A good-size dino would probably provide enough hide for a year's leather needs (or people might prefer the skin of different species for different purposes or aesthetic values). People make leather from ostrich & emu skin, so feathers are no impediment. And some dinosaurs might have particularly useful other bits (horns, armor plates, teeth, bills, wing membranes, etc.) with different uses.

Which dinosaurs are red meat (like ostriches) and which ones taste like chicken? And which ones make the best bacon?????

(When selecting your dinosaur species, are you drawing from a specific time period, or are you plucking species at random from 70 million years of evolution? When some nine-year-old challenges you, do you have an explanation/excuse handy for whichever way you choose to go?)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
(When selecting your dinosaur species, are you drawing from a specific time period, or are you plucking species at random from 70 million years of evolution? When some nine-year-old challenges you, do you have an explanation/excuse handy for whichever way you choose to go?)

LOL, this is a romantic fantasy so I hope no nine-year-olds will read it unless they're really precocious.

I wasn't thinking of specific ages or eras, I'm afraid. I thought that as long as the events of the story weren't obviously implausible, like someone killing a Utahraptor pack with a spear, I could get away with both Dimetrodon and Plesiosaurus in the story.

Somewhere, a paleontologist is crying.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Is there any farming of dinos on your world?

At the moment, this is what I've got:

Plesiosaurs are bred to serve as transportation (it's a lakeworld), and I'm thinking some small species would be kept on land and used as food, just because it's easier to do so than to go out and hunt each time you need meat.

Still hashing out the story, but I wouldn't mind pterodactyls or some other flying species being used to patrol or navigate crowded canal-cities later.

I can tell this is being influenced by Harry Harrison's West of Eden.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Try to choose dinos from roughly the same geological era, and don't make paleontologists cry. :)

But really, the answer to your question is: with a big enough gun, anything. Modern firearms can take down a T-Rex. (Though if you're just using a measly old high-powered hunting rifle, you'd better get a brain-shot...)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
At the moment, this is what I've got:

Plesiosaurs are bred to serve as transportation (it's a lakeworld), and I'm thinking some small species would be kept on land and used as food, just because it's easier to do so than to go out and hunt each time you need meat.

That's what I was thinking.

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Ankylosaurus might work. They were "armored" with bone like plates. I don't know how much they weighed but the smaller plates could maybe be attached to clothing or leather armor. They also had a massive tail club. It was a herbivore though so I don't know how much thrill would come from hunting one.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
On the meat question: some scientist has established that T. Rex and chickens share quite a bit of DNA, so T. Rex probably tasted like chicken.

Now I really, really want to see a character say that in a book or movie. Please.