"Dirty" lawyer working for drug lord

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for thoughts on whether the following works:

Lawyer is secretly working for drug lord. He defends various punks/riff raff accused of minor charges for free (he's actually being paid by the drug lord) in exchange for recruiting the punks to work for the drug lord after he gets them off. (There's probably also a dirty judge or two, so getting these guys off shouldn't be a problem.)

Am less certain of this point, but - drug lord has lawyer killed. I'm thinking it's because lawyer's wife is going to divorce him, and drug lord figures the financial arrangement between them is going to come out.

Does it work? If not, suggestions? I need an arrangement between the two that leads to the murder of the lawyer - otherwise I'm flexible.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Lawyer gets greedy.

Although the judge is really the effective partner. It could be that the lawyer just becomes extraneous, an unnecessary expense. It's also less of a cliche.

The "punks" who get off are also kind of a risk, as they're now in the system and are going to be visible, and targeted by the cops who busted them in the first place, unless you've got a dirty cop or two in there setting them up to be busted so they can then be recruited. Cops get a kickback.

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
Lawyer makes stupid mistake making it impossible for corrupt judge to rule in his favour without it being obvious. Judge has to find punk guilty - screws up plans for drug lord so lawyer is offed for his stuff up.

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
Lawyer makes stupid mistake making it impossible for corrupt judge to rule in his favour without it being obvious. Judge has to find punk guilty - screws up plans for drug lord so lawyer is offed for his stuff up.

Oh, I like this. Except I don't think the drug lord is going to be all that attached to a random punk, so perhaps the case the lawyer "blows" is for someone higher in the organization.

And yes, some of the local cops are dirty, too - they're saying lawyer was killed in a single car accident, despite the obvious paint transfer where the car was forced off the road, etc.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Lawyer develops substance abuse habit and becomes unreliable/erratic.

Oreo1909

Registered
Reaction score
Drug lord thinks lawyer is turning states evidence because said lawyer has been taping phone calls and visiting the FBI. Turns out wife was secretly taping lawyer because she suspected lawyer of cheating. Also turns out that lawyer has a niece who recently made junior agent and was sent to work at local office.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely have to have a dirty judge, because a lawyer can't get anyone off by themselves, so kinda talking about a corrupt system. Not sure either why who's paying the lawyer needs to be kept secret - anyone can hire a lawyer to defend someone else. Do like LA*78's idea about the lawyer making the mistake, but agree would have to be somebody more important than just a possible punk 'recruit'.

Biggest problem you'll have is staying away from the cliches - and that's a big one.

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Better Call Saul!
So you should check out the character Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad. He's the crooked lawyer who helps Walter White launder the money(amongst many other things) that he makes from cooking meth. Walt doesn't kill him(as of now) but there are a few times where Saul thinks he might.

Saul does such a good job on the show that there is a spinoff in the works.

Faye DC

Registered
Reaction score
Why go to the expense of paying a lawyer and the risk of letting him know anything about the druglord just to recruit a few kids? I agree with Hendo that it's more believable if your lawyer does other stuff too, like launder money and defend the bigger fish. There are definitely lawyers out there who make their living off the mob, and just do everything for a handful of criminals in the same gang.

If his wife was going to talk, she'd be the one they'd kill, no? I like the substance abuse issue making him a risk (maybe someone in the drug ring introduced him to it), or him messing up a big case.

espresso5

Registered
Reaction score
The lawyer is having an affair with the drug lord's mistress/daughter/sister/etc.