Prop Plane flight time - Borrego Valley Airport to LA

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm looking for the approximate flight time for a propeller plane with at least four seats going from Borrego Valley Airport, near Borrego Springs, CA to LA. The specific airfield in LA does not matter since I'm creating a private fictional one on both ends.

Any sense of the usual flight path for this trip would also be appreciated.

Thank you.

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I had tried another flight calculator, but I couldn't select the plane type. This one says around a half hour which had been my guess. It shows the flight path as a straight line over land.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
www.skyvector.com

Path (using low enroute airways + avoids military areas and wildlife reservations): L08 WARNE TRM COREL KSNA

KSNA - Santa Ana is known to receive small private jets. KONT (Ontario) or KBUR (Burbank) would also do, although they'd add to the total flight time.

Type: VFR (IFR flights in the LA area are notoriously complicated and there is no TEC for this route anyway)
Altitude: 12500 ft (MEA + VFR hemispherical rule)
Cruise speed: 160 kt (Typical of a Cessna Centurion C210 / Piper Seneca II)
Total: 114 nm
Time: enroute 43 mins + 15 mins for taxi & departure / approach

-cb

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cb,

Thanks for the info, but could you get the flight path into layman's terms.

What I need to know is what my 14 year old MC would see out the window. Overland, I'm guessing it's mountains and desert, sparsely populated, until you approach the suburbs of LA, which to me includes all three airports mentioned.

I do get that the flight takes about an hour total.

Thanks, again.

-Debbie

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Open the web page in my post, pull down the Flight Plan flap on the left, then plug in the string "L08 WARNE TRM COREL KSNA" and press ADD. The entire flight plan should appear on the main page.

L08 is the code for the Borrego field.
KSNA is the Santa Ana (John Wayne Orange County) airport near Disneyland.
WARNE is a waypoint. Aviation GPS devices have those set up in memory.
TRM is a radio navigational aid called a VOR. It emits directional and distance information to an airplane radio tuned to its frequency. TRM is set at 116.2 MHz.
COREL is a waypoint.

You don't need to know all this. Just check the map in VFR mode and see what's around the pink line.
There are map type buttons on the upper right part of the map.

Select "World Lo". This is the flight plan as plotted on the airways with waypoints, VORs, headings and distances, etc.

Select "World VFR". This is what is called a 'sectional' map. This map outlines the major land features as seen from an airplane. As you pan (L-mouse) and zoom (M-mouse) around, more map types appear.

"Los Angeles TAC" should be added to the map list as you near Los Angeles. This is a more detailed sectional map.

Hope this helps.

-cb

Last edited:

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Willie. I had been considering that. I've actually looked at the area in the satellite and street view on the old style map.

Cb, that is way cool. I've been matching features with the Google Map for the last half hour instead of watching fireworks out the windows with my kids. I'm also setting it as a bookmark.

I had a prior just for fun flight that headed over Superstition Mountain (great name for use in the story), but seeing as it's in the restricted zone, I'm looking for a substitute. Something that evokes religion or fear would work. (I might stick with the original since I am writing fiction, but I don't know.)