• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking writing buddy/beta reader for commercial/speculative novel, 73K words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvin-Bala

Registered
Reaction score
I have just completed the first draft of my first novel, and I could use a beta reader to help guide me with the revisions. To provide some details on the work:

• Title: THE SECRET ERA
  • Genre: commercial/speculative fiction
  • Word count: 73,000 words
  • Description: The Secret Era chronicles a future where public consumption of the Internet is taken away by the government.
  • Book structure: The book follows three intercut storylines across different timelines, exploring the economic and social fallout from the government's intervention.

What I'd like to get out of a beta reader:
  • Solid, logical feedback on writing style: I already know there are issues with my writing style, and I could use some constructive criticism on how to improve it, constructive being the key word. If it sucks, say so, but please explain why.
  • Character development: Do the characters behave consistently and when they do not, is there enough of a plausible reason why they don't?
  • Plot: is it interesting enough to keep the reader interested? Or do I need to punch up the tension?
  • Grammar: Although I'm not specifically looking for a proofreader, if there's something consistently glaring on my grammar, I love to know about it.

In exchange, I'll offer similar services to someone else's draft. Big bonus points for anyone if they live in the Chicagoland area, and would be open to meeting in person, in real time. That part is definitely not mandatory, but helpful.

Thank you.

Olivera

Olivera
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm interested. I have time to do it this 4 day weekend. I write young adult SCI- FI and I would love to hear your thoughts on it. Let me know if you are interested.

Elvin-Bala

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the interest, Olivera. I sent you a private message for some additional details...check your inbox...

Status
Not open for further replies.