Jobs That Help You Write In The Most Surprising Ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
So, I just started my first sales job. Surprisingly, I've found that it turns out that its providing me with more material that I will ever use. I find that I am studying the body language of customers as they come through the door: those marching smartly refusing to make eye contact, the businessmen straightening their jacket sleeves etc. Which all great stuff, and I wonder why I didn't get into sales earlier, all I do is spend the day talking and observing people. :)

So does anyone else have jobs like this, and why are they so surprising?

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
I worked retail like you and yes, people-watching is absolutely fascinating. Great for those slower moments at work--catch sight of a person and invent a life for them. :)

I worked emergency dispatch and you got to do aural people-watching. The way they put words together and inflections of voice made it interesting. Those are things you think about after your shift, though. At the time, you're busy trying to help.

In both cases, it's surprising how a particular phrase or an inflection will stick in your head. Or how a brief glimpse of someone can blossom into an entire imagined story. Or maybe not-so-surprising considering all of our common interest. :D

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a big job that supplies nearly all of the material for my stories. The job is called LIFE. And I agree, g. Any situation that puts us in contact with lots of different people generates information for us to extract. And if that situation triggers different emotions in people, all the better.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Working in the legal field, I write a lot but deal with with enough to spot a BSer a mile away. I am also up on many lawyerly tactics that are meant to get a certain result. Great research material.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Every job helps with writing. So does sitting in the park or lying on the beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.