Tour de France 2013

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I am so bummed I decided against including Simon Gerrans on my fantasy TdF team ;). But it was him or Jens Voigt, and I don't care if Jens might not get me points, I still want him on my team for sentimental reasons. Pretty sure he's going to try to steal a stage eventually, too :D.

I never even considered Bakelants, but I very much enjoyed him holding on to beat the sprinters to the finish line on Stage 2. Another illustration of the answer when people ask, "Why do riders bother to go on breakaways? They always get caught."

Is anyone else watching? I enjoyed the landscapes in Corsica, but the beach in Nice looked tremendously overcrowded.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'm loving it. Love the scenery, love watching these crazy guys do this! Don't love the staying up till 2am to watch it live so much.

I was cheering for Bakelants to hold on too. Yay. It's always gut plummeting to see them caught right near the line.

How dramatic was the Green Edge wedgie!

Oh, and the beach in Nice looked bloody uncomfortable to sunbake on. But still beautiful :)

Last edited:

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
You're watching late and I'm watching early (east coast of US)--so between us we're keeping the world balanced :D. Good job!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
How the hell can Geraint Thomas ride with a hairline fracture of the pelvis for 5 minutes let alone continue in this race ???
I've heard some get addicted to the pain.
Eeek.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Just to be able to ride the Tour means one has developed an efficient way to deal with pain. But some are more amazing at it than others ;). Hope he's actually starting to feel better, as Vande Velde with his cracked rib.

Yeah, I can write something but I don't really understand it at that level.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to Daryl Impey! Who knew?

*I'm just waiting for Thomas Voeckler to make his move*

=)

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to Daryl Impey! Who knew?

*I'm just waiting for Thomas Voeckler to make his move*

=)
I loved the Impi song they kept playing while Daryl Impey had the yellow jersey. And Thomas Voeckler is on my fantasy TdF team, so he'd better make a move! I've lost too many riders from that team already :(.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I swear I just saw a bloke with a gun in one hand and a stuffed boar in the other........

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Hey I saw him. And Santa.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
The pig under the arm was surreal :tongue.

On the other hand, the fluorescent green mankini was just gross :D.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That bit yesterday, with the apricots and the lavender and the tiny French villages around the Mont Ventoux? That's the place I was living last year.

*sigh*

I do miss it.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I've been seriously impressed with Richie Porte in this Tour. He's almost making it easy for Froome (taking nothing away from Froome, though). He's been a joy to watch.

My wife and I were saying the same thing, he's had one bad day and the rest of the time been amazing.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I've been seriously impressed with Richie Porte in this Tour. He's almost making it easy for Froome (taking nothing away from Froome, though). He's been a joy to watch.

Yes, hopefully Porte will get his chance to lead a team.

Froome is incredible.

What is Sky going to do with both Froome and Wiggins. Surely they can't keep both?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Exciting stage today. Great to see a French rider take one.

But as much fun as it was to watch, today also was a good example of what bugs me about the Tour and the quest for the Yellow. I know it's a team event, still I would have liked to see Porte take a run at the leaders today, instead of being forced to protect Froome. I realize Porte knew his role and accepted it, but there was a chance I think for an epic chase.

Also, didn't think too much of Sky intentionally ignoring the rules and taking food late (both Froome and Porte took a 20 second penalty for that).

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Also, didn't think too much of Sky intentionally ignoring the rules and taking food late (both Froome and Porte took a 20 second penalty for that).

Yes I thought the same thing. Then I thought about it and decided I wouldn't have wanted to see Froome tumble off because of low sugar or whatever, either. Do we want to drive these guys to that absolute limit? Yeah I know it's a rule, and agree they deserved a penalty. Do you know why they don't load up on the gel or whatever when they should?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Great Tour. Lots of deserving riders getting awards.

And how 'bout Froome's class? First, he lets Richie Porte take the lead of the peloton into Paris, then offers some great comments on the podium. Very well played.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Froome a deserving winner. And has handled it all with class.

Now, let us all pray he doesn't flunk some medical test down the road. Le Tour really needs a clean-up, in the public perception. And a new hero, a real one, like Eddie Merckx was, back in the day before Armstrongism.

caw

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
That bit yesterday, with the apricots and the lavender and the tiny French villages around the Mont Ventoux? That's the place I was living last year.

*sigh*

I do miss it.

Did you know the man with the pig and the gun?