From Fiction to Actual Publication

Petite Deborah

Aspiring Multi-cultural Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deborahytwong.wordpress.com
I've been thinking about this for quite some time.

I've got a couple of fictions posted online, that's solely for free reading and commenting purpose. I'm thinking about revising and submitting them to publishers. Are these fictions considered previously published? I hope this wouldn't sound confusing...

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
By no means am I an expert on what publishers want, but...

If you search publishers' websites, some will state that they do not want anything that has been previously published. Some will go on to specifically state that that includes putting your work up for others to read anywhere, even if it's free. Obviously, you would not submit to those publishers.

Some publishers make no mention of this, or are open to previously published work as long as you own the rights.

I think it depends on the publisher. In my newbie, non-expert, may-not-always-know-what-I'm-talking-about opinion, I would take all your work down that you wish to try to get published, find publishers that don't mind previously published work, edit and polish, then submit.

You won't know unless you try, right? Good luck!

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
If you search publishers' websites, some will state that they do not want anything that has been previously published. Some will go on to specifically state that that includes putting your work up for others to read anywhere, even if it's free. Obviously, you would not submit to those publishers.

This issue is much less of a problem these days.

Petite Deborah

Aspiring Multi-cultural Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deborahytwong.wordpress.com

Some publishers make no mention of this, or are open to previously published work as long as you own the rights.

I think it depends on the publisher. In my newbie, non-expert, may-not-always-know-what-I'm-talking-about opinion, I would take all your work down that you wish to try to get published, find publishers that don't mind previously published work, edit and polish, then submit.

You won't know unless you try, right? Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I consider taking it down after I've cut and pasted into my 'Completed' folder. This is my new PC so the drafts are all in the old comp that has gone kaput a few years back.

In fact, whenever I come across 'previously published material' has always been works that have been self-published or published by publisher (only the it's contractually expired). Anything that has gone through a process of publishing, you know what I mean...like ISBN coded, royalties earning, cover art...etc...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You don't need to stick an ISBN onto something for it to qualify as "previously published". Making it available to all on your website is publishing it, in a sense. And while Torgo has pointed out that this is much less of a problem now than it once was, if a publisher today is asking for work which has not yet been previously published, I don't think you can send them the pieces you put up on your website. Not in good faith, anyway. Changing the titles and giving them a quick polish isn't going to be enough to wash away that status, either.