Status
Not open for further replies.

Nononana

A little obsessed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ninagjones.com
So I am set to self publish my novel in a month. Cover is ready, goodreads giveaway, the ARC is in several bloggers hands. Had it beta read and edited by a professional editor who does that job full time (also used to be my high school English teacher!) It's been chopped up and put together several times.

Anyway, months ago, my husband, who is affiliated with a magazine owned by a publishing family was offered the opportunity to pass my MS along to someone in the family who writes in the same genre as me. Great if she gets around to it I thought, but I didn't want to pressure her nor the person who passed it along. There was so many degrees of separation so when months passed and I thought it got shelved.

Well I get an email today that she read it and wants to share her thoughts!

I am afraid she is going to make some big suggestions. What do I do then? People are already reading the novel for review. I think it's too late for me to make changes. Plus, I don't think it would be courteous to those who are already reading my "final" version. I am nauseous awaiting her feedback because if it's major, then I will feel it's not good enough even though I felt it was previously.

:gaah

Last edited:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you don't have to take anyone's advice. If you've gotten to the point of publishing, you should be confident enough in the work to resist new direction.

If you're not that confident, maybe new direction would be a blessing?

You're the publisher of the book at this point. If you think a delay is necessary, I would explain the situation to your reader-reviewers. They are most likely people who want to see the best books published, even if it should inconvenience them a little.

Nononana

A little obsessed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ninagjones.com
It's more of my inexperience making me nervous. She is published by a big house, yadda, yadda. I am proud of my work, but I was already nervous since this is my debut and I don't know what to expect. It's an Excited-nervous, but nervous nonetheless. I looked at the email she sent asking for my email address and she said she was enjoying it, but I don't want to tear a stupid little email to shreds trying to find clues, lol. It's just that little devil on my shoulder kind of thing.

Russell Secord

nearly perfect
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe she wants to tell you you're the best writer she's ever seen. Maybe she wants to share some tips that will make you an even better writer. Maybe she wants to offer you a five-book contract. It could be good news. You won't know until you hear it.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
If I were you? Personally I think it would be a big mistake not to wait and hear her out. I know you're anxious to get your book out there but if she offers some advice you hadn't considered you'll kick yourself later for not listening. Plus she may be an avenue to traditional publishing. Traditional publishers have far more advertising clout and contacts than a debut self-publisher. I would not throw away this opportunity.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
^^

Definitely agree! This is something from a professional in the industry, not to mention someone who could get you a trade contract. Even if the chance is small, why throw it away? Let your reviewers know, as mentioned above, and then see what happens. Why burn bridges?

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Tell your nerves to STFU, hear what she has to say, consider it and your own expectations and desires, then follow your gut.

It's YOUR story and only you really know it intimately. All anyone else can tell you is what they would do if it were their story.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, gotta get on top of those nerves. Think of them as clinging vines that will hold you in place and slowly sap you of strength and resolve. Now imagine snapping them and stepping free.

Then, even if you still feel their tendrils around your ankles, do that thing you're afraid of.

Also, since the writer's already looked at your book, devoted time to it, it would be impolite not to get in touch with her. Burning bridges before your army's even taken the field? Not a good idea.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I would be eager to hear her comments. As she's a publishing professional, you never know what favours she could do for you. Think how great it would to be to get a quote for your book.

And if the response is negative, your going to have to steel yourself. Because once you've self published, all types of reviews are going to appear on Amazon and Good Reads.

Nononana

A little obsessed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ninagjones.com
I am definitely eager to hear from her and will of course take whatever she says seriously. As many have pointed out, I have no idea what she's going to write me. It could be a couple of sentences, or detailed feedback. Now begins the waiting game!

It just kind of surprised the bejesus out of me as I have been going 100 mph marketing the book for its scheduled release. That's why I am trying to consider ALL bridges, not just with her, but the various bloggers who have accepted the book for review. At the end of the day though, I'll do what I gotta do!

I am very grateful though that someone who has published several books is taking out the time to read my book and get in touch with me. She said the main reason it took so long was that she was finishing her own latest work.

As far as the nerves, they go in waves. I will try and kick them off :) I have always kind of been a defensive pessimist, so it's par for the course with me.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
As you are still in beta mode (nice cover, btw) you can still stop the presses and make changes if your new reader suggests something that makes you want to change the book. It hurts nothing to put off publication for a few more days (or weeks) so that your product is the very best it can be.

See what she has to say - then either revise and put off the party for a bit longer or enjoy her delight in your book and go full steam ahead.

The only thing to avoid here is having any regrets down the line.

PS Good luck!

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
:welcome: Nina. :)

:partyguy: I also think you should hear this person out. Sometimes the best feedback we can get is from those who write and publish in our genre. Besides, no matter what type of feedback you get, the glass is always half full.

Congratulations!

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
When you have to make a decision, best do it with all the information at your disposal. She's offering you information; might as well use it.

If it turns out that her information is irrelevant to you, what have you lost? Nothing.

Elvin-Bala

Registered
Reaction score
Think of it from her perspective. Although she might not have responded as quickly as you'd like, she's probably not aware of all the developments that happened since the initial request (beta reading, revisions, self-publishing, etc). Whatever your decision is to pause production, I think it's still worth it to hear her out.

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
Say yes and no matter what she says, no matter how awful it is and how much it hurts your feelings (and it probably WONT be awful or hurt your feelings anyways!) just be super-polite and say 'Thank you!' at the end. Do not argue, defend or fight.

She must really care if she actually wants to take the time out to discuss some things with you. Even if it turns out everything she says is a pile of useless turds just thank her and be gracious. You aren't obligated to take anything she says seriously. Use what you can, discard the rest, pat yourself on the back for being published.

This will be a kind of growing experience for you as an author, don't miss out on it!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
This is something from a professional in the industry, not to mention someone who could get you a trade contract.

As she's a publishing professional, you never know what favours she could do for you.

I didn't get the impression that she could offer NinaGJones a contract, nor that she was a publishing professional. This is what was said in the original post:

Anyway, months ago, my husband, who is affiliated with a magazine owned by a publishing family was offered the opportunity to pass my MS along to someone in the family who writes in the same genre as me.

The person concerned is a writer who works in the same genre as the OP. Not a publishing professional or a commissioning editor.

Have I got that right, Nina, or is this person an editor at a book publishing company? And if so, which one? There are publishers and publishers, as I'm sure you know.

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
Here is the great thing about self publishing; you have no contractual obligations and no deadlines. Since you really have nothing to lose, of course you should wait and hear what she has to say. It is your story and you are under no obligation to take the advice given to you. If, on the other hand, she points something out that you believe would make your novel even better, you have the option to hold off publishing and work on it.

I have self published one novel. I have a Beta who I greatly respect and we talk about each others writing all the time. (I act as her Beta.) Some of her suggestions I liked and I incorporated into my story. The rest I didn't. I always thanked her for her time and her help, but I never felt obligated to follow any specific piece of advice.

Since you clearly respect this person go ahead and talk to her. Remember though that as the author you are the one who has final say over what your book should be. Never feel that you must act on her advice simply because she made the effort to meet with you.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I wouldn't change anything that can't be done before your Aug. 1 release date, if that is what you've advertised.

In my experience, you can always find *someone* who will give you more suggestions. At some point, you just need to commit to the work as it stands.

Best wishes with your book!

flid76

Almost Human
Registered
Reaction score
I would be curious what she has to say, and one thing I would find positive is that she read it all. If you have ever beta read for anyone before, sometimes you can be given a book that it quite difficult to get to the end, so a writer that is probably busy herself has taken the time to read, I would think that is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.