PDA

View Full Version : Things I Hate About July...

Lavern08
07-01-2013, 04:55 PM
The H-E-A-T + The H-U-M-I-D-I-T-Y = Gaahhhh!!!! :gaah

alleycat
07-01-2013, 04:59 PM
The heat.

tinker
07-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Mosquitoes :Soapbox:

stormie
07-01-2013, 05:24 PM
...that August is in four weeks. :e2thud:
I truly do not like August. Makes me kinda stormy and all.

Helix
07-01-2013, 05:25 PM
It's even colder than June. And it's going to get worse.

(I'm in the other hemisphere from you sweltering folks.)

shakeysix
07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
The days get shorter. Grasshoppers grow to gopher size. Half my summer vacation is over. Water and A/C bills triple. The rejection slips from my June burst of creativity start rolling in--s6

FluffBunny
07-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Too. Hot.

Fruitbat
07-01-2013, 05:53 PM
I love July! *runs*

aswiftsunset
07-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Fireworks. Hate hate hate fireworks. *prepares to be kicked out of America*

Snowstorm
07-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Too damn many ATVs and dirt bikes speed and trash the town. And it's hot! No one has A/C so we just have to be patient for September.

Gilroy Cullen
07-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Heat
Humidity
Mosquitos

Hurricanes
Baseball (*Ducks*)
Bills (Well, that's every month)

Liralen
07-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Heat.
Humidity.
Mosquitos.
Flies.
Gnats and Noseeums.
Numbnutz shooting fireworks off. Every. Freaking. Night. Makes Bimmer nervous and Tallulah barks back. Kharma only reacts to gunfire, but that's the Fila nature.
Thunderstorms. (see above)
Mosquitos.
Humidity.
Heat.
At night even.

I don't even want to think about August.

I'm going to be spending every moment possible in that pool!

Lavern08
07-01-2013, 07:22 PM
...Numbnutz shooting fireworks off. Every. Freaking. Night.

The knuckleheads in our neighborhood will prolly start up tonight and go thru Sunday. :rant:

angeluscado
07-01-2013, 07:30 PM
The oven-like conditions that plague my apartment when the sun starts to shine. I think I need blackout curtains or something.

Mclesh
07-01-2013, 09:55 PM
The heat, the humidity, and the people who decided that the 4th of July begins in April. I can't believe the number of firecrackers that have been going off for weeks now. My poor dog is on his last nerve. :(

Pandora S
07-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Firecrackers! To what purpose are these? They sound like someone is shooting at us. They aren't pretty like fireworks .... ooooo ahhhhh!
no, they are just noise and they make my girl doggies run and hide.
Other than that July is alright in my book. The pool starts to warm and the flowers
are in full bloom, not like August, the dog days arrive and we are waiting for that first cool breeze that's promised in September. Gotta love the seasons change.

Caitlin Black
07-02-2013, 12:20 AM
I actually quite like July.

It's nice and cool in Australia, it's the start of the tax year, so if I've worked the previous 12 months then I get a tax refund (not this year), I get a short break from Uni (28 days of July this year! Woo!), loads of things are on sale...

Yes, it's a good month. :)

Now, if only it snowed in winter here, it'd be perfect! (Oh, and if my birthday were in July, that would be even better. Unfortunately a May birthday means I missed out on being a winter-baby by about a month. :()

I totally feel for y'all having heatwaves though. We get VERY hot here in summer too. Thankfully, Australia's full of places with air conditioning.

Oh, one more thing I love about July! Because it's winter, most of the bugs are gone, gone, gone! No swarms of flies buzzing around me outside. Woo!

Chasing the Horizon
07-02-2013, 12:31 AM
It's hot, the humidity is curling my printer paper, and my bathroom is full of millipedes.

On the plus side, there's Camp Nano and fireworks.

patskywriter
07-02-2013, 01:56 AM
July is greeted with dread because most of my family members die in July. I'm in good health and am feeling great … but just in case I'm in error, it's been nice knowin' ya. :e2thud:

Kate Thornton
07-02-2013, 04:55 AM
Heat. Noise. Rats in the swimming pool. Bugs in the swimming pool. Kids I don't know trying to get in to the swimming pool (which is actually an 8ft round inground hot tub thingy.)

-----------------

KellyAssauer
07-02-2013, 04:52 PM
The neighbors to the south of me sold the empty lot on the hill behind my house four years ago. The new owners have been saving up to build. They started digging the foundation with heavy equipment yesterday... I'm hoping that July won't become 'the month I lost all peace and quiet and was forced to find somewhere else to live'...

quickWit
07-02-2013, 05:04 PM
it's hot, I've barely broken ground on my new house and already the neighbor to the north seems creepy. On top of it all she doesn't seem to know the difference between 'piece' and 'peace'.

*sigh*

ditzy broad.

writerterri
07-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Don't speak to me until October!

Dorks!

Kate Thornton
07-03-2013, 03:52 AM
Terri, you beloved Queen of Dorks! Get some ice cream and go curl up somewheres cool.

Kylabelle
07-03-2013, 04:17 AM
Kelly! Ouch!

My list includes but is not limited to: Fireworks, humidity, loud lawn equipment, mosquitoes, fireworks, mosquitoes, and fireworks.

vagough
07-03-2013, 04:19 AM
I love July because that's when my birthday is. And every year that I have a birthday means I'm still around to complain about things to others -- complain to my family, complain to my doctors, to my whatever or whoever. The list goes on....

Now August, that's another thing altogether!

Kylabelle
07-03-2013, 04:31 AM
The neighbors to the south of me sold the empty lot on the hill behind my house four years ago. The new owners have been saving up to build. They started digging the foundation with heavy equipment yesterday... I'm hoping that July won't become 'the month I lost all peace and quiet and was forced to find somewhere else to live'...

it's hot, I've barely broken ground on my new house and already the neighbor to the north seems creepy. On top of it all she doesn't seem to know the difference between 'piece' and 'peace'.

*sigh*

ditzy broad.

Wait. I think I just got set up.

Another thing I hate about July. It makes me stupid.

:D

Brightdreamer
07-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Let's see...

Our well pump just cut out. Half a dozen family projects are demanding my attention simultaneously, none of which I am apparently doing well (because the moment I try to do one thing, I'm yelled at because I should be doing something else.) And I'm down to one cat. (This happened at the end of June, but it still sucks.)

And the month is only three days old.

Crayonz
07-04-2013, 07:46 AM
I was totally with ya until:

.... but that's the Fila nature.
Eh?

Wait. I think I just got set up.

Another thing I hate about July. It makes me stupid.
You and me both, dear. :Shrug:

Also, heat. Bugs. And stoopid people setting things on fire with their fireworks. If you're gonna make things blow up, be responsible about it! :rant:

Marian Perera
07-04-2013, 07:52 AM
The air conditioner is on continually. Unfortunately I'm in the basement, which is nearly always cool, so having the air conditioning on makes it cold. I put duct tape over the vents, didn't make much of a difference. So in July, I'm sitting here wearing two cardigans, my long winter underwear and thermal socks.

Liralen
07-04-2013, 09:02 AM
I was totally with ya until:

Eh?

Part of the temperament test for the breed is they must not flinch away from gunfire. At the minimum, a Fila should remain steady and alert; ideally the reaction is to want to go toward the sound, seek out and disarm the shooter.

So it's nice that she doesn't react to fireworks, cars backfiring, etc. ;)

heyjude
07-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Add me to the "I hate fireworks and other dog-scaring explosions in the name of patriotism" crowd.

Kylabelle
07-04-2013, 04:08 PM
I am off to take the dog-beasties for a walk, hoping to be out there before any fireworks start happening in the neighborhood.

Here are some quiet ones for you:

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Holidays_and_Party/fireworks-074.gif

Susan Littlefield
07-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Are we allowed to post if there is nothing we hate about any month?

The heat here in the North Bay in Cali can sometimes get a bit unbearable, but it's not too bad. :)

Lavern08
07-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Are we allowed to post if there is nothing we hate about any month?

But of course, Mon Cherie. :)

Susan Littlefield
07-04-2013, 07:49 PM
I am off to take the dog-beasties for a walk, hoping to be out there before any fireworks start happening in the neighborhood.

Here are some quiet ones for you:

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Holidays_and_Party/fireworks-074.gif

For about the last six or seven years, we have a city ordinance banning fireworks anywhere except for the fairgrounds.

I can recall living in a neighborhood where the street was closed off so the neighbors could all put on spectacular firework shows. I miss those days.

Later on today when Don gets back from a gig, we are going to a family barbecue.

Liralen
07-04-2013, 08:27 PM
It's not legal to shoot fireworks, etc., in town here either.

Doesn't stop anyone, and I can see the police station from my front porch.

Susie
07-04-2013, 08:49 PM
I agree with everyone's posts. :D

Kylabelle
07-04-2013, 09:03 PM

I disagree.

:roll:

Susan Littlefield
07-05-2013, 12:22 AM

I agree to agree to disagree with those who disagree to agree. :D

Caitlin Black
07-05-2013, 01:40 AM
I must admit, I'm not a fan of fireworks either. I just find them so... boring!

"Oh, wow, lights in the sky. Then... MORE lights! OMG, I wonder if there'll be more lights in a moment? Yes! MORE lights!"

*yawn*

Susie
07-05-2013, 04:24 AM
I'm in agreement with those who agree and those who disagree because I hate to be disagreeable. :D :Cake:s!

FluffBunny
07-05-2013, 04:32 AM
Piccolo Pete's or whatever they call the high-pitched, whistling fireworks now--they frighten His Nibs, the Sensitive Rabbit. Booms and bangs, he's used to since we're not far from a military base. Things that sound like they could be an animal in pain scare him. :(

*goes to sit next to He Who is Easily Startled and feed him dandelions.*

Regan Leigh
07-05-2013, 04:49 AM
I live in Georgia, so the humidity is like walking in a warm bath of nasty. ;)

Caitlin Black
07-05-2013, 06:01 AM
I live in Georgia, so the humidity is like walking in a warm bath of nasty. ;)

That's an awesome sentence. Sorry about the humidity though... We get that down here in summer, and it's awful. Not as bad as Queensland though!

Regan Leigh
07-05-2013, 06:51 AM
That's an awesome sentence. Sorry about the humidity though... We get that down here in summer, and it's awful. Not as bad as Queensland though!

Thanks, maybe I'll use it for the book I'm editing that is set in Georgia. ;)

Caitlin Black
07-05-2013, 06:54 AM
I'd read that. :)

Just use that sentence for the blurb. It'll be a best-seller, no problem.

Susan Littlefield
07-05-2013, 08:11 AM
I will say that this year the weather has been a bit strange here in the north bay in California (about 45 minutes north of S.F.), especially for both June and July. The week before last we had thunder and lightening storms, lots of rain, and since then we've had really hot dry heat. Last night, a nearby town had lightening. It's all very strange.

I've been in July humidity in Arkansas, though. It is nasty.

stormie
07-05-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm in agreement with those who agree and those who disagree because I hate to be disagreeable. :D :Cake:s!
That's our Susie!

Susie
07-05-2013, 07:49 PM
:roll:s. I try :) Back atcha all and hope your weekend is the superest best! Mo' :Cake:s!

Alpha Echo
07-05-2013, 07:50 PM
I am shocked so many people hate fireworks! I love July! I love the fireworks, I love the heat. There's a freedom in wearing cute dresses and flip flops that I don't have in cold weather when I have to bundle up. I love the sun and the evenings outside and grilling every meal...

The only thing I don't like are mosquitoes, but they're around all summer. There's always bug spray and fires to keep them away.

Liralen
07-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Neighbors don't shoot off the pretty ones, they shoot off the noisy ones, land on your roof ones that don't do much of anything but upset everyone else's dogs and make you glad it's damp and drizzly so you don't have to worry so much about your house catching on fire.

And they're going to keep doing it for DAYS . . . .

I love fireworks, the big, high in the air, out over the lake or someplace, set off by people who know what they're doing and aren't going to let their 5 year old blow his fingers off.

patskywriter
07-05-2013, 08:03 PM
… I love fireworks, the big, high in the air, out over the lake or someplace, set off by people who know what they're doing and aren't going to let their 5 year old blow his fingers off.

Ditto for me! Years and years ago when I was a kid, we had a neighbor who was a detective on the local police force. He'd shake down lawbreakers and other saps and take their stuff for his and his family's enjoyment. One day he brought home a bunch of illegal fireworks and passed them out to his kids. Well, he should have seen it coming … but his youngest son blew out his right eye. It was really hard for the dad, who was really heartbroken and ashamed, to live that down. And the poor kid—losing an eye at age five. Pitiful.

Alpha Echo
07-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Neighbors don't shoot off the pretty ones, they shoot off the noisy ones, land on your roof ones that don't do much of anything but upset everyone else's dogs and make you glad it's damp and drizzly so you don't have to worry so much about your house catching on fire.

And they're going to keep doing it for DAYS . . . .

I love fireworks, the big, high in the air, out over the lake or someplace, set off by people who know what they're doing and aren't going to let their 5 year old blow his fingers off.

I gotcha. We were really lucky last night. A lot of people around us must have made the trip south for the good stuff, because we had great high-in-the-air fireworks going off all around us. We also buy the legal ones and put them off in our backyard. They aren't too noisy, but they're pretty even if not high above the treetops. :)

Ditto for me! Years and years ago when I was a kid, we had a neighbor who was a detective on the local police force. He'd shake down lawbreakers and other saps and take their stuff for his and his family's enjoyment. One day he brought home a bunch of illegal fireworks and passed them out to his kids. Well, he should have seen it coming … but his youngest son blew out his right eye. It was really hard for the dad, who was really heartbroken and ashamed, to live that down. And the poor kid—losing an eye at age five. Pitiful.

That's horrible. Geez. Horrible for everyone involved. But...not that it isn't horrible for the poor kid, but it's a lot easier to adapt to something like that at 5 years old than 25.

Liralen
07-06-2013, 05:25 AM
They are shooting them off again tonight. *le sigh*

Stlight
07-06-2013, 05:41 AM
I hate it when it doesn't rain, I hate waiting for some fool to accidentally set my yard on fire, or, as mentioned, my house.

I hate going over every inch of the yard looking for the ones that didn't go off. The ones your dog might find and eat. Yes, I've found a few. I don't know why they didn't go off, I don't know if the dog will get hurt picking it up in her mouth. I'm pretty sure she shouldn't eat them.

If they don't care about their kids, they don't care about their pets and they sure don't care about mine. (They might care when the insurance company goes after them if they set my house on fire.)

The one thing that surprises me is no one seems to consider giving fireworks to kids child endangerment. (I mean sparklers, okay, you just get burns from them.)

Fran
07-06-2013, 05:55 AM
Things that happen in Scotland in July:

The rain gets warmer. But you still have to wear a jacket so you boil in the bag.

The sun, when it does appear, is so blindingly bright it makes you squint so much your eyesight fails and you have to go and lie down, because you live in the dark for six months of the year and you just can't take it.

We don't have mosquitoes here. It's too cold for their nasty wee sucking faces. But their partners in evil, the midges, are doing Satan's work on their behalf.

Fireworks are for the 5th of November, when you get to freeze your arse off in the street, sulking because Guy Fawkes and his pals didn't choose to blow up Parliament in June. Then agree that Paisley Abbey with fireworks going off behind it is just the most beautiful spectacle possible.

So, I can pretty much guarantee that if you lived here you'd hate our weather too. I'm an icy-blooded Celtic Viking and heat kills me. Be careful what you wish for, people. You could be Scottish. ;)

Liralen
07-06-2013, 06:13 AM
LOL, Fran . . . have you LOOKED at me?

There's a reason I dread summer and like winter. Most of my family names come from Ireland (mostly left pre-American revolution and came here to get away from the English tyrants, several fought the Brits in the Revolutionary War), a few Scots, and several of them on the coast of Ireland, so you know there's some Norse mixed in there as well.

I love San Francisco's weather.

Fran
07-06-2013, 06:34 AM
LOL, Fran . . . have you LOOKED at me?

There's a reason I dread summer and like winter. Most of my family names come from Ireland (mostly left pre-American revolution and came here to get away from the English tyrants, several fought the Brits in the Revolutionary War), a few Scots, and several of them on the coast of Ireland, so you know there's some Norse mixed in there as well.

I love San Francisco's weather.

I'm third-generation Irish on my mum's side, fourth generation on my dad's. But, my mum's dad's side came over with Eleanor of Aquitaine in the 1130s, and the Normans were Vikings. My mum says she loves hot weather but Barcelona in August nearly killed her. Those ice crystals will melt eventually. :tongue

Late May/early June or late August/early September for visiting Scotland. July's monsoon season. And the pasty Scottish people don't tan. We had three good days of sunshine in early June and it was invasion of the lobster people.

Fran
07-10-2013, 01:15 AM
Of course, Scotland has now had two days of blisteringly hot* weather. Another thing I hate about July, and this isn't usually a problem I admit, is my Facebook friends saying their first degree burns will be a lovely golden tan in a couple of days. Um... no. Still, they might get some free chemotherapy in a few years so hurrah for that.

*That's frozen wasteland hot, not normal places hot. 25C/77F.

Snowstorm
07-10-2013, 01:21 AM
I agree to agree to disagree with those who disagree to agree. :D

I refuse to decline to accept your comment.

Caitlin Black
07-10-2013, 01:41 AM
The last few days, I've actually been wishing it was a tad warmer. Oh no, what's happening to me?!

When I was a teenager, this sort of weather was perfect! Nice and cold and all that. But now that I'm a fair bit older, no, suddenly I'm getting chilly. Bah!

If things keep going this way, I'll be one of those senior citizens who turn the heater on in summer.

shakeysix
07-10-2013, 04:44 AM
bright and sunny all today--111* degrees and the wind is blowing 25-30 mph. now suddenly, thunderheads are swooping in and the sky is darkening, the wind has died down. you ask what i hate about this month? hail, damaging winds and the T word! --s6

Kylabelle
07-10-2013, 04:54 AM
*sticks head out from covers*

Is it October yet?

nooooo...

*hides again*

Stlight
07-10-2013, 05:27 AM
Ants. We've now had three sizes try to move in - normal size that you expect to see, giant tree ants and teeny tiny. The first two were persuaded to leave, so were the fire ants in the yard. The teeny tiny ants are too small to pick up the ant bait.

Someone, not me, should write a children's story about the ant colonies in my attic. Why do new ones move in when there must be dozen of ant corpses up there? Is it the same mentality that made people continue to come to Va. after the first colonists vanished? Any one know how the then current tourist bureau managed to get around that?

ETA: I wouldn't mind the ants so much if they'd just stay out of my hair.

Caitlin Black
07-10-2013, 05:30 AM
Well... ants eat dead ants so that less goes to waste. So the new colonies probably think, "Hey, we've got the first few weeks' worth of food already up here. Alright!"

That'd be my guess.

Stlight
07-10-2013, 05:46 AM
Okay, did not know that. It makes sense, about the ants, not the Va. colony.

Caitlin Black
07-10-2013, 05:55 AM
Yeah, ants eat their dead. That's why you need to take out the queen - if you kill even 90% of the colony, the other 10% will use the dead ones as biological resources for creating even more of them. It might take them a while, but yeah - they'll be back.

Lavern08
07-10-2013, 05:30 PM
*sticks head out from covers*
Is it October yet?
nooooo...
*hides again*

I know, right? It's just so nasty-sticky-clammy here - Disgusting!!! :flag:

Kylabelle
07-10-2013, 05:36 PM
If there were not air conditioning there would be way more murders.

shakeysix
07-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Wind, thunder and buckets of rain all night. Now the air is scrubby clean, my garden and lawn are perky and green. The day lilies are blooming all over town. The cornfield next door looks like a postcard. It is cool to work outside and the birds sang all morning while I did my gardening. Jeez--Sometimes I love this schizo month--s6

Susie
08-23-2013, 06:03 AM

*sigh*

ditzy broad.

'ey, all, someone haz a crush on their neighbor :D Brings her :Cake:s :D

Lavern08
08-28-2013, 11:32 PM
ANTS!!!!:rant:

Wassup with this late-summer invasion of teeny, tiny ants? :Shrug:

Stlight
08-29-2013, 03:31 AM
we had 'em, too. They get on your hands and in your hair and how many times a day can you wash your hair??? It was like having fleas. Flea spray did get rid of them in groups, but there were always more.

heyjude
08-29-2013, 05:46 AM
Wait, it's July again?

I can't wait to tell the kids they don't have to go to school tomorrow!

Stlight
08-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Accountants and the like always work in the month before the current one. It does bad things to your time sense. Been there, done that, never had much time sense to begin with.

Lavern08
08-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Wait, it's July again?

Oops! :e2smack:

stormie
08-29-2013, 07:17 PM
So does this mean we have to do August all over again?!

Ugh.

Kylabelle
08-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Yeah. July has totally usurped August's spot.

Whatever we hate about July, apparently we all hate August far far worser, can't EVEN bear to be in it.

:D

I know, let's just skip August and get a headstart on September.

stormie
08-29-2013, 07:31 PM
I know, let's just skip August and get a headstart on September.
Great idea. Happy September, everyone!