How Typefaces Influence the Way We Think

Status
Not open for further replies.

visionarywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Great article and worthy of sharing! Not many people pay attention to this particular topic, but since I started cover design, I've been noticing how fonts react on the eyes and the mood they produce. I became even more sensitive to this when I started designing my own interiors. I have a very short attention span, and some typefaces agitate me and make me not want to read. I kept my own reaction in mind when I selected the fonts for my books, which I sent to my mother to read. One had Myriad Pro and the other Minion Pro. She made a comment on both books and how they were pleasing to look at and easy on the eyes. She said this without me even asking her. It also demonstrated how white space helps with readability.

I never got the crusade against Comic Sans. I like the font, although not for a whole book. It holds my attention, which isn't an easy thing to do!

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Comic Sans is perfectly fine in the right place. The main problem is that people use it inappropriately. For instance, one of the admins at my university likes to write her emails in Comic Sans (and often with colours). These are formal emails about serious subjects. It's the wrong font. But if you're writing a children's party invitation, Comic Sans is a good choice.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for posting that link! I'm going to pass it on to my writing group.

Once upon a terrible time I ran a printing shop. Lots of layout. It made me aware of the differences in fonts and their appeal for different audiences -- it can be the difference in getting the job and getting paid for it and not getting the job.

Baskerville is a favorite of mine; it's my default font and what I've been using writing this WIP. I have an irrational loathing of the whole Times Roman family of typefaces. The only explanation I have is that they're aesthetically unappealing to me, but I can't describe why.

visionarywriter

Registered
Reaction score
I have an irrational loathing of the whole Times Roman family of typefaces. The only explanation I have is that they're aesthetically unappealing to me, but I can't describe why.

Same here. I do like Baskerville.

MaggieDana

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maggiedana.com
Liralen, I hear you about Times Roman. It was designed for newspapers where print space is at a premium, therefore the font is tight and economical and you can pack a lot in. This works for narrow column widths and short articles, but not for a 350-page book.

At the risk of being redundant (I posted this link on another thread a while back) here's a piece I wrote a few years ago for Old Hack's blog, "How Publishing Really Works." My article was about print, but I think it has relevance to e-books as well, not that we have any influence over fonts that e-readers use (and nor should we) but it does say something about how readability affects the way we read, no matter the medium.

http://howpublishingreallyworks.blogspot.com/2009/05/guest-post-how-book-design-affects.html

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Very interesting article. Thanks for the link, Maggie!

Deleted member 42

Long ago when the Mac SE and the Apple Laser Writer started to appear at universities, I was tasked with learning to use HyperCard to create ebooks.

I fell in love with the Mac's fonts/typefaces; they were display only on Mainframes and DOS PCs (by which I meant they were crudely rasterized for the screen and wouldn't print).

I think I managed to use something like 9 faces on a four-page printed newsletter . . .

(I got better, really I did; but even things like The Mac Is Not A Typerwriter didn't exist at that point; people from other universities came to see our Macs and laser printers . . . )

Status
Not open for further replies.