Writers Giving Book Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing this has been discussed before, but I can't find a more current thread so I began this one.

I've always wondered if it is OK for authors to give book reviews at all. I have given two, one was for a mainstream book that already has dozens on reviews on Goodreads. The other was for a fellow author who I'm on friendly terms with, but we both were honest in our reviews of each others' books (it wasn't a review swap BTW - really!)

But I've always felt uncomfortable because doing so could cause a backlash. If you say you didn't like a book's character, some fan could say that your characters aren't unlikable either so who are you to complain? Or if you point out an authors' weakness, it would seem unfair when you know as a writer how hard it can be writing a novel. It's like being an author and openly reviewing other authors' works is like putting yourself under a microscope in a way.

If you've heard of the blogger Kristen Lamb, she discussed this in two back-to-back posts about whether authors should give book reviews or not.

http://warriorwriters.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/should-authors-write-bad-book-reviews/

http://warriorwriters.wordpress.com...to-review-other-authors-do-we-ruin-the-magic/

I decided to post this thread after reading the two posts, since they reflect what I've been wondering.

If there's a more recent thread about this, my apologies for starting this one :)

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score
I review the occasional book on Amazon, but that's it, and I do it under a screen name. I would never review a book under my own name, especially with the recent backlash against negative reviewers.

If/When I get a book published, I will probably stop reviewing altogether. Just too much risk in it, imo.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
I have done lots of reviews on my blog, many of which I link to in Goodreads. I actually think it's a pity that more authors don't review. If I like a writer's work, I want to see what they like to read. And conversely, what they don't. I find that such recommendations match my own tastes quite often. Of course I was a fan before I was published, so my background is a bit different.

I guess the problem is that with social media and self-publishing, reviewing out of crass self interest (or what is perceived as crass self interest) has gotten out of hand.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I could ever post a review that I would give less than 3 stars. The fact that I'm a fellow author may bring more of a backlash, at least I think so.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
I've been reviewing books on my own website for over ten years, but if I ever manage to get published I'd be hesitant to continue. Being a rather naive big-mouth when I started the site (note: I'm still a big-mouth, but slightly less naive now ;) ) and having only a vague intention of getting published myself, I wrote very honest (and sometimes brutal) reviews. Over the years I've had several authors contact me and cop an attitude, and (in one case) ask for a review to be removed. The idea of putting myself in that position as a published author makes me uncomfortable.

The question is largely moot, however, since I may never be published.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, bugger all that for a lark.

I review books. I make a decent supplement to my income doing so, writing for both of the national papers here, and a number of smaller regional papers, along with several magazines. I review books on radio and tv. I've been doing it for almost fifteen years now.

This is in addition to hosting a high profile author event series (I've hosted everyone from Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Diana Gabaldon, Margaret Atwood, Michael Ondaatje, to regional and local writers).

I do it under my own name, and I don't hold back. I've written positive and negative reviews, and I don't couch it.

You know what people admire (aside from the ability to write or speak well about a book)?

Integrity.

I sign my name to everything I write. The idea of using a pen-name, to avoid potential blowback? Strikes me as ridiculous.

Couching my reviews? Limiting myself to positive reviews? Also ridiculous.

Giving positive reviews because the author is going to be coming for an event? Nope. And that's made for some pretty interesting evenings.

Integrity.

Period.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
But what if you're an author yourself? Don't the rules or expectations change? The comments to Kristen Lamb's blog postings show there seems to be a debate between authors over if and how we should write reviews of other authors' works.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I sign my name to everything I write. The idea of using a pen-name, to avoid potential blowback? Strikes me as ridiculous.

Couching my reviews? Limiting myself to positive reviews? Also ridiculous.

Giving positive reviews because the author is going to be coming for an event? Nope. And that's made for some pretty interesting evenings..

Not everyone has that confidence

that doesn't mean the can't review with integrity.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I could ever post a review that I would give less than 3 stars. The fact that I'm a fellow author may bring more of a backlash, at least I think so.

I quit reading stuff I don't like. I have a few reviews where I unloaded on something, but these days I'd rather talk about what I like.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
But what if you're an author yourself? Don't the rules or expectations change? The comments to Kristen Lamb's blog postings show there seems to be a debate between authors over if and how we should write reviews of other authors' works.

Note my sig...

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with people using a pen-name to review. Writers use pen-names for their books, so what's the difference? I don't think it's ridiculous - just look at the nasty things that happen even to 'everyday people' who post negative reviews. Why subject oneself to that just to give an honest opinion? If the world offered only reasoned responses to reviews, that might be different. Of course, if one is getting paid for reviews, that's also different. Putting your own name to it in that case is a confirmation of sorts that the review is 'honest'.

Personally, there are very few places I use my real name if I can avoid it.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
Yea, um, who is more qualified to review books than other authors? Sure, some authors may review books negatively out of spite or some sense of "competition", but so do non-author reviewers sometimes.

I write review-ish-things on my personal blog (which is linked to my pen-name NOT my real name), and have just started getting paid for the occasional review as well, which are published under my pen-name as well. I like writing about books, especially books that I enjoy. But I also feel honor-bound to give an honest opinion. Which means, I may even have criticism of books I loved by authors who are my heroes. Because no book is perfect and there's always the possibility for improvement. I think that's a feature of reviews, not a bug personally.

Er, I apologize if this was a little rambly. It was a long day and I'm having trouble deciphering if things make sense outside of my head as well as inside. :tongue

LKSebastian

Registered
Reaction score
There are definitely books that I've read over the years that I only picked up initially because another author I love reviewed and recommended them and in that case, I think writers writing reviews is a great thing. I can understand why it could be unnerving to write a less-than-flattering review of a book, but I can think of successful writers who do it all the time. Lev Grossman writes book reviews for Time where he's not shy about holding back when he doesn't like something, and I remember a few years ago Stephen King pulled no punches when he wrote a review of Twilight.

It definitely happens and some people are probably going to disagree with your reviews, but I don't see why that should keep you from writing them. As long as you don't cross the line from being a critic to being a bully, of course.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Amazon don't think they should, which suggests to me that yes, they should.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'm with Willie. I've always written reviews of the books I read, and being a published author doesn't change anything. I view literature as a conversation over time - and for me, reviewing is part of the conversation. I get why other folks might not, but I enjoy it and have no plans to stop. The only real policy I have, which I've always had, is that I don't slam the little guys. If I happen to get a hold of your book and you're a first-time author with a small press, that sort of thing, and I don't like your book... I'll just put it aside without commentary. But if you're stocked in bookstores across the nation, I figure you're professional enough to handle the criticism. If you're not... well, that's your problem, not mine.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
When I have time, I review books on my blog and cross-post to Goodreads. Positive, negative, even DNF.

I haven't noticed any drama stirred up by my reviews. They are just my opinions.

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
I would NEVER review under my own name because I wouldn't want the immature fans of my books to automatically hate the books I hate (and I hate many, and with vitriol!) I also wouldn't do it because you never know, some of these authors just lose all sense of reason when they get a bad review and I wouldn't want to sugar-coat mine.

Of course I realize this means other writers might review my books anonymously too, but so what? Writers are readers and readers have the right to review books, so long as they are just reviewing and not doing anything shady like giving themselves 5 stars or someone they don't like in person 1star reviews!

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Authors have always reviewed other authors, and tend to be good at it.

That post by Kristen Lamb reads like someone terrified that she might be made to sit at the uncool table in the cafeteria.

Little did I know the acquaintance was BEST FRIENDS with the author. I didn’t even say anything all that bad and that author has HATED me since, even though I’d bought all her books to demonstrate support. Just an offhanded comment on the phone has impacted me professionally, and to this day it grieves me that I hurt her.

"I once SAID a MEAN thing ABOUT a BOOK and now she HATES me 4EVAH!!!!"

Is that who you want to be friends with and cultivate professional relationships with? Someone whose ego is that brittle and petty?

paulcosca

The Paulest of all Coscas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulcosca.com
I got my theatre degree in Chicago and started up a company there. I also wrote theatre reviews for several websites (including my own). Never felt a conflict of interest.

Now that I'm focusing on writing, I am reviewing books. I think the most important thing is to be as transparent as possible. Anyone who reads one of my reviews should also know that I write fiction and plays. They should be able to access those works pretty quickly, both because I'd love for them to see it and because I don't want to give any impression that I have a conflict of interest. Anyone who sees my work can see where I am coming from with it. Or they can easily ask me.

Really, I write reviews because it's an enjoyable way for me to have another part to play in the community. I love being able to open up a dialogue with the work I do, and already I think I've helped a couple of authors see where they might improve in the future.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I've written a few reviews for books I've read, and I do use my own name. If someone doesn't like my review then that is their choice. However, my novel has not yet been published (just short stories), so there is nothing for them to review.

I guess I just don't see the harm in giving honest reviews.

invicticide

Laying a foundation
Registered
Reaction score
Is it worth making a distinction here between "consumer reviews" and "analysis/critique"?

I think it'd be kinda weird for an author to review another author's book and say "buy this" or "don't buy this", or (god forbid) to score it. But to say "here are some aspects that worked" and "here are some aspects that didn't work", from a craft perspective, and absent any kind of purchase recommendation/warning, seems like it'd be good for everybody... maybe?

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see any problem at all with writers giving book reviews. But I do have a big problem with them not being honest about who they are, i.e. not using their writing name/pseudonym. If you do it under a "review pseudonym" you are being dishonest, and it's in principle the same thing as a sockpuppet (, even though the reason for doing it may be different). I think that if you are not honest about being a writer when you review your review can't be honest, you are already hiding a fact that may be important to the one reading the review. I think full disclosure is the only way to go, that way it's up to the one reading the review if they think you are a person to trust. -If you absolutely feel you have to hide who you are, you should at least clearly state that you are a writer and that the reviewers name is a pseudonym.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I don't see any problem at all with writers giving book reviews. But I do have a big problem with them not being honest about who they are, i.e. not using their writing name/pseudonym. If you do it under a "review pseudonym" you are being dishonest, and it's in principle the same thing as a sockpuppet (, even though the reason for doing it may be different). I think that if you are not honest about being a writer when you review your review can't be honest, you are already hiding a fact that may be important to the one reading the review. I think full disclosure is the only way to go, that way it's up to the one reading the review if they think you are a person to trust. -If you absolutely feel you have to hide who you are, you should at least clearly state that you are a writer and that the reviewers name is a pseudonym.

So if I review as "Amadan" I am being dishonest? (Never mind that it's easy to find my real name.)

Rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.