What Motorbikes?

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I need help selecting a couple of motorbikes for my characters.

a) A Harley-Davidson (brand being a personal trait) that was the first bike for a poor college student at UPenn during the late 1970s. He or his father bought the bike used. The guy was athletic but not stocky. The bike was his transport mean, nothing hip. Decades later he (now very wealthy) still has the bike, fully restored and polished as motivational display at his workplace. He may occasionally drive other expensive or custom built Harleys nowadays.

The old bike needs to be recognizable with relative ease by a woman who knows squat about bikes but her late husband had owned the same/similar model and died in an accident while riding it drunk. She has exceptional memory and can remember small but relevant details for life.

My tentative research find so far is a 1969 HD Aermacchi Sprint SS350 but frankly I'm not sure if it fits the bill and I'm still trying to find something recognizable about it. I appreciate any suggestions and hints.

b) A hip, preppy, 18-19 yo girl has just gotten her motorcycle license and she wants to buy a new bike. She lives and goes to school/college in NYC and chances are she is a weekend warrioress. She is about 5'7", normal build, has played some sports like softball and tennis but not really athletic. Finance is not an issue. Initial find is a colorful Kawasaki Ninja 250R but I appreciate any suggestions.

Further, say this girl, after riding her 250 or similar bike for a while, sees a friend with a VRSCAW V-Rod or similar bike and decides to take it for a spin. Will she easily get her ass handed back to her or into something embarrassing? What will likely be her experience?

Thanks in advance.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have a big warning for you - don't try to write about motorcycles if you have no personal experience riding one (operating as opposed to being a passenger). Readers who do ride (and that's a lot of people) will easily recognize the attempt and your overall credibility will suffer.

Do the smart thing - learn the skill. Take a beginners course (sanctioned by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation - MSF, or an equivalent... http://msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?spl=2&action=display&pagename=ridercourse info and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prR20YZtPGU).

FWIW, the Aermacchi Sprint was an Italian single imported and sold by Harley for a brief period - it was never considered a true Harley by anyone seriously involved. In '69 the real Harleys were twins (2 cylinders, 883cc to 1200cc.... Sportsters or ElectraGlides also known as ironheads and shovelheads respectively).

The size of the person operating a bike is not as important as the skill level. It's not that hard to learn. If you can ride a bicycle and have a reliable sense of balance, you could learn this skill.

Furthermore, it's an adaptable skill - you can transfer from a 300# dual purpose (dirt/street) bike to a 900# boulevard cruiser or touring bike with little more than a few minutes of familiarization (controls & heft). The operating principles are essentially the same. An operator familiar with a sport bike (Ninja) would have little problem with a cruiser (V-Rod).

More men may ride, but women have no problem operating motorcycles - more learn the skill every day.

Don't saddle your characters with bikes that are too small to be pragmatic and potentially too slow to be interesting. Make them 600cc or bigger - think about interstates and real world speeds.

There's lots of material out there - don't hesitate to do the research.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Glad I've checked here as my research doesn't seem as useful as I've thought. Headed to research the ironheads and shovelheads.

The guy's bike is an ice-breaking plot device and all it matters is the woman can identify it and the bike fits the historical criteria. (Which means I'll have to be able to tell whether it's an ironhead or a shovelhead from the appearance.) It's a talk scene and not an action scene.

It's also nice to know the easy transition from a bike to another. I'm not at that scene (book, in fact) yet so I will still have time to study it.

Thanks again for the info and advice.

PaulyWally

Registered
Reaction score
For the Harley, my first thought would be a late 60s Electra Glide. The name "Electra Glide" was coined by the company in 1965, but was a successor to a model line that began long before.

The Electra Glide was not only distinguishable by the new name, but the company gave it mechanical and design upgrades as well. And it was already a unique-looking bike for that time (IMO).

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If your female character really knows her stuff, she'd be able to recognize at a glance the model of Harley Big Twin (early flatheads thru '48, knuckleheads '36-'47, panheads '48-'65, shovelheads '66-'84, evos '84-present to include the current twin cam evos. The nicknames generally came from what motorcyclists thought the engine heads looked like. The company didn't always appreciate the nicknames, but they couldn't ignore the popularity. By the introduction of the Evolution model in '84, they'd resigned themselves to the ubiquitous nicknames and pursued trademarking... but that's another story.

http://www.factoryfat.com/hdmotorhistory.html

http://www.harley-riders-guide.com/harley-davidson-engines.html

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
I can't help you with bike models, but I can tell you that she would probably recognise it as the same model as her husband's bike even if she didn't know the name of the model.

I can easily pick out bikes the same model as the one my husband rides. All I can tell you about it is that it's silver, has a half fairing (think that's what you call the body bit) and it's one you sit upright on (ie not sport and not cruiser). But I can always spot when someone riding the same model bike as his.

So I guess all I'm saying is, it doesn't matter whether she knows anything about bikes or not, she would likely be able to recognise the model bike her husband rode regardless of how well known the model is to others.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
ironmikezero, thanks for the timeline and additional links.

LA*78, yes I'm thinking along the line. The woman will have to rely on other non-technical aspects to identify the bike.

I actually prefer the nicknames. She doesn't know bikes and what little she knows would've come from her late hubby. I think they calling it Shovelhead is more likely than Electra Glide or, lord forbid, something like VRSCAW.

From the few pics I've checked, it seems that Sportster has two separate (shorter) exhausts only on the right side. The Electra Glide has one long (maybe merged) exhaust on the right and a short one on the left. This will be a definitive difference the woman can identify. So far I like the pics of a 1960 Ironhead 900cc. I'll just have to browse through the other 1960s Harleys to make sure this exhaust design is unique.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I'd go something bigger for the 18-19 year old. Something in about 600cc's, maybe a sport bike of some sort. A 250 is nice for tooling around or for a commuter bike, and a Ninja is probably as sporty as you can get for that size, but they definitely don't have the zoom factor and if finances are not an issue I'm not sure why she wouldn't go with something bigger. As you've described her I can't see her having trouble handling a 600cc bike. :)

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go something bigger for the 18-19 year old. Something in about 600cc's, maybe a sport bike of some sort. A 250 is nice for tooling around or for a commuter bike, and a Ninja is probably as sporty as you can get for that size, but they definitely don't have the zoom factor and if finances are not an issue I'm not sure why she wouldn't go with something bigger. As you've described her I can't see her having trouble handling a 600cc bike. :)

Good thinking. Got any suggestions? Hmm... gonna check what bike the T-Mobile girl drives.

mlharris

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to second what LA*78 said, I don't know much about bikes but my husband has an old Suzuki and I can pick them out easily on the road.

Since I don't ride in the front I can't speak from that experience, but from what I've seen riding well (and being able to switch easily between models and sizes) has a lot to do with confidence. If your female character is timid about the new bike she might have an issue with an unfamiliar ride even though she could handle it physically.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The choice bike then would have been the Harley Davidson Sportster, probably an XL, Ironhead engine. Maybe a 1974, in '75 they moved the gear change to the left so it's easy to tell the difference. But maybe not a poor college bike.

Cheaper would be a Honda CB250, smaller and less power (250 CC versus the Harley 1,000 CC). Good bike for your girl rider, a hotter bike might be the Honda CBX 1000. Hot bike, somewhat ill-tempered and one of the desired foreign bikes on the time.

That or the Kawasaki Z1-R. That was a great bike and the non-Harley folks lusted for it. Though it's a big bike for her. First time I tried one I almost fell over at a red light. :)

Jeff

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to second what LA*78 said, I don't know much about bikes but my husband has an old Suzuki and I can pick them out easily on the road.

Since I don't ride in the front I can't speak from that experience, but from what I've seen riding well (and being able to switch easily between models and sizes) has a lot to do with confidence. If your female character is timid about the new bike she might have an issue with an unfamiliar ride even though she could handle it physically.

Oh that's a great point about confidence. It adds a layer of personality. I'll have to think about that. If I do go the timid way and write from a rider's pov, I'll have to take a course like ironmikezero suggested and talk to the other newbie drivers.

Try a Suzuki Hayabusa. It was the fastest production motorcycle the last few years, and it's not exorbitantly expensive.

--Duncan (current H-D rider)

No, Duncan, it's prolly cheaper than a V-Rod. It's cool. I now have 3 for her: a Ninja ZX-6R, a Suzuki Hayabusa, and Ducati 848. But I'm not sure if a 1,340-cc bike is too much for a newbie.

The choice bike then would have been the Harley Davidson Sportster, probably an XL, Ironhead engine. Maybe a 1974, in '75 they moved the gear change to the left so it's easy to tell the difference. But maybe not a poor college bike.

I think I'm going for a Sportster. I like how it looks for a college teen. These Harleys all have very distinctive exhaust designs so it's easy to tell and write. But I think I'll opt for an earlier year, like '66 or older. The guy was poor and these bikes were supposedly rather expensive (I read somewhere a new '72 H-D Ironhead/shovelhead sold for like $2,000.)

Cheaper would be a Honda CB250, smaller and less power (250 CC versus the Harley 1,000 CC). Good bike for your girl rider, a hotter bike might be the Honda CBX 1000. Hot bike, somewhat ill-tempered and one of the desired foreign bikes on the time.

That or the Kawasaki Z1-R. That was a great bike and the non-Harley folks lusted for it. Though it's a big bike for her. First time I tried one I almost fell over at a red light. :)

Jeff

I will check out Z1-R. The Honda CB seems to lack the "zoom factor"(thanks slhuang) that a young girl would probably opt for.

Thanks a lot, guys.