What would you be charged with if you were caught digging up a grave? (UK)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
So one of my characters buries some bodies, then has cause to try to dig one of them back up again (don't ask). He's caught literally armpits-deep in the grave by the police, and held for questioning.

In my current draft I have the charge down as criminal damage, but I'm wondering if there's a more specific crime he'd charged with. He didn't actually remove anything from the grave - he was caught before he could.

Any thoughts? The story is set in the UK.

(Fun fact: in the course of Google research on this, I found out that the practice of exhuming bodies and selling them for medical research is called resurrectionism. Cool!)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So one of my characters buries some bodies, then has cause to try to dig one of them back up again (don't ask). He's caught literally armpits-deep in the grave by the police, and held for questioning.

In my current draft I have the charge down as criminal damage, but I'm wondering if there's a more specific crime he'd charged with. He didn't actually remove anything from the grave - he was caught before he could.

(Fun fact: in the course of Google research on this, I found out that the practice of exhuming bodies and selling them for medical research is called resurrectionism. Cool!)

Dunno, but question - did he bury them legally and properly to begin with? Improper disposal of a body is a crime too. You can't usually just be burying grandpa wherever.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't desecrating a grave still a chargeable offence? I know it doesn't tend to happen that much these days, but I don't see why Parliament would have dropped the law since the days of Burke and Hare.

I don't know, really! Interesting question.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Desecrating a grave is illegal in all countries, I think, and I think that's what the Old Bill would charge you with.

(Beaten to it, cross-posted)

-Derek

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Dunno, but question - did he bury them legally and properly to begin with? Improper disposal of a body is a crime too. You can't usually just be burying grandpa wherever.

Indeed he did not bury them legally - but there's little proof of that and he's not going to volunteer the information.

Desecrating a grave is illegal in all countries, I think, and I think that's what the Old Bill would charge you with.

-Derek

Thanks - good thinking. Reps all round.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
You could try ringing a police station and asking. You might find there's a dedicated contact for writers on a national level if you Google it.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You could try ringing a police station and asking. You might find there's a dedicated contact for writers on a national level if you Google it.

Call it paranoia, but I'd personally think twice before ringing the local fuzz all 'uhm, just out of curiosity, for like, research purposes, totally just, you know, asking, what could one theoretically be charged with if one perhaps had buried a body secretly and then went to dig it up and happened to get caught?'

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Has he buried this body out in the woods? Cos I don't think the police would be too quick to charge him with anything until they'd asked lots and lots of questions.......

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
I'm ex-UK plod and I agree with mirandashell. If the bodies are not in a graveyard and somebody is digging them up I'd at least arrest them on suspicion of murder.

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Call it paranoia, but I'd personally think twice before ringing the local fuzz all 'uhm, just out of curiosity, for like, research purposes, totally just, you know, asking, what could one theoretically be charged with if one perhaps had buried a body secretly and then went to dig it up and happened to get caught?'

Odd requests like that weren't too uncommon in either of the departments I've worked for. Just be clear that you're writing a novel.

As for specific charges here in the US.... umm I was never a huge 2c buff but without digging out my book, criminal trespass and destruction of property float to the top of my mind. But that's only if it was in a graveyard.

If he already buried them and is digging them back up somewhere in the woods it would be completely different. He would immediately be brought in for questioning by a detective.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score

Did the character register the deaths? I think it is a criminal offence not to register a death. A doctor has to give the relation a form which is then taken to a registrar who fills in various bits and bobs of paperwork and gives a death certificate. This is then used to tell the undertaker that the death is all legal and above board and the deceased can be buried.

Again . . . going to check this . . .
Once a person has been buried it is unlawful to disturb or remove the body without lawful authority
http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourri...ver-a-dead-body/disposal-of-a-dead-body.shtml

So . . . you can bury someone in a forest, but it seems that is is against the law to dig them up unless you have 'lawful authority'.

Sigh . . . so what the hell am I supposed to do with the bodies in my garden? Opps, shouldn't have said that . . .

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I'm ex-UK plod and I agree with mirandashell. If the bodies are not in a graveyard and somebody is digging them up I'd at least arrest them on suspicion of murder.

That's what I was thinking. The charges relating to digging the body up are surely the least of his problems right now.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Hi guys,

this is in a cemetery, and until the police start investigating (as a result of having arrested him) they aren't aware that anything odd's up - they just figure he's trying to dig up an old body (okay... anything more odd). By the time they realise it's not just plain grave robbing, the suspect is no longer in custody. So it's really about the initial charge in this scenario :)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ah! Ok, that changes things. So you need to find out the charge for resurrectionism.

Just had a look and it's not easy to find out.

Last edited: