Do you always write sober?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I produce great stuff after a little something something. It's like that stage fright that writers can get when they sit down to write just goes away. And for a while I just don't care because it's not supposed to be my best work. But then sometimes it is. Okay, time for a mid-day martini. Who's with me?

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I wish I could. The last thing I want to do after a drink is write. I've tried and only two things happened. Either I sober up and its just like any other time. Or I fall asleep. But I don't mind having a drink and raving about everything I will write.

Last edited:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could. The last thing I want to do after a drink is write. I've tried and only things happened. Either I sober up and its just like any other time. Or I fall asleep. But I don't mind having a drink and raving about everything I will write.

Same here, alcohol just makes me fall asleep.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto. Even just a little booze makes me sleepy and lazy for the next couple of hours. I simply can't make myself write.

Riley

They won't let me be good
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I recommend against imbibing for inspiration's sake, but I've been known to take a couple shots of bourbon for "fortification"; however, as I don't want to become dependent on external. . . objects to write, I do so only when desperate.

I also once abused my venlafaxine and found myself (physiologically? Psychologically?) unable to extricate myself from my writing environment. 25,000 words in eight hours without a bathroom break. Goddess, what a nightmare.

I ended up tossing all but 5,000 words, too. What a waste.

In sum: it may be a better idea to always write sober. ;)

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Once upon a time (read: college) I only wrote at night with drink in hand. It did help me get out of my own way and produce words (it was a wash whether they were better or not - there was just more) without all the little distractions.

But now I write primarily in the morning and, worse, I seem to have lost my taste/appetite for alcohol. Dunno what happened, but I can barely get halfway through a bottle of beer these days before I'm passing it off to the spouse to finish it for me.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I don't drink to facilitate writing, but after I've had a couple of glasses wine and I'm fairly happy, I'll suddenly decide it's a fine to do some.

Not often, though.

Sometimes, though, I'll decide it's a fine time to play Skyrim. Don't drink and fight dragons, kids.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I've never tried it. Usually it's for after I finish something, a little celebration. Hmm. I'll have to try a little experiment sometime. ;)

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I always write sober. I drink on special occasions, but I will not support any type of drug or alcohol use for any type of craft. Celebrations, maybe. Drinking while writing, no.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Not always, no. But I don't plan to drink and write. Sometimes it just happens. You know how ideas are.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
As I no longer have to get up at silly o'clock to go to work I've started to write during the night. I like to have a drink at about midnight, scotch and soda or a cyder, and after a couple of hours of writing or research I eventually go to bed. Not necessarily to sleep though. I'll print out any research or writing I've done and read it through.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
The last thing I want to do after a drink is write.
Me too. When I drink, I just want to have stupid conversations or watch dumb movies. Writing never crosses my mind, and I could never focus enough to do it anyway.

I could see prescription amphetamines being quite useful for editing, though. :D

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I always write sober. I drink on special occasions, but I will not support any type of drug or alcohol use for any type of craft. Celebrations, maybe. Drinking while writing, no.

This. It would never even occur to me to not be sober while I'm writing. The whole "I have to drink/take X to be creative" thing is just an excuse to drink/take X.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I save my drinking for watching "Ridiculousness."

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really get "drunk" drunk, but nothing stops me from writing if I've had a bit of wine. It doesn't really affect my writing anyway.

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, sometimes. Not often. I find when I do I'm less likely to worry about what I'm writing, though - it just spills out.

Which is why I don't do it that often.

eliza_anne

Registered
Reaction score
I know a lot of people who write after they've smoked weed (particularly in California where I used to live, as it's medically legal). This holds true for a lot of comedians that I know...I guess they think it makes them funnier? Frankly, I can't understand how people are productive in this state of mind. The only substance I can have in my body when I write is caffeine...as much as possible. Black coffee by the gallon!

ebbrown

Easily Amused
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ebbrown.net
Write sober? Yes

Edit? Sometimes I have a wee bit of homemade wine, sit back, and try to look at the day's work as if I am a reader instead of a writer.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I don't drink alcohol under any circumstances.

But sometimes, when the work is going well, I get very drunk on the chemicals of writers' high.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Status
Not open for further replies.