Queries are out there!

GHF65

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Anne made me post here. If I get negative responses despite all my good luck charms and the manure sculpture of Buddha that's on my lap right now having its stomach rubbed (or is that a fertility thing . . . ? Hmmmmmm.), it will be because I jumped the gun and actually talked about this. On your head, Anne!

I've got queries about my second book out to the only two publishers (humorous equine how-to is the niche market from hell!) I could find that might conceivably publish what I write. If they don't bite, I may be forced to join the happy throng over at PA. :ROFL:

Kidding. Just kidding. Please don't lecture me on P-A**hattery. I've been around the block, in the pool, under the boardwalk, and over the coals already. I swear I didn't mean it!

I've approached Adams Media because they've already published two of my stories in anthologies, and BowTie Press because I like the name. Keep your hooves crossed for me, k? I need all the positive energy I can get.

On to my next project! I'm macrame-ing a new barn out of baling wire. Wait for it!

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Wow, I hope this is successful or I'm gonna be wearing a very aromatic hat! :eek: :ROFL:

Give Barron's a shot, too, Joanne. They publish horse titles! Here's the addy for their guidelines (and you can check out their catalog while you're there to see if your book might be a fit):

http://www.barronseduc.com/info.html

Scroll down past the job opportunities to find the manuscript guidelines. I'm keeping my fingers and 16 parrot toes crossed for you!

Oh, and when you finish that macrame barn, how about trying a parrot cage? :D

Last edited:

GHF65

Registered
Reaction score
awatkins said:
Wow, I hope this is successful or I'm gonna be wearing a very aromatic hat! :eek: :ROFL:

Aromatic, yet stylish!

Give Barron's a shot, too, Joanne. They publish horse titles! Here's the addy for their guidelines (and you can check out their catalog while you're there to see if your book might be a fit):

http://www.barronseduc.com/info.html

Scroll down past the job opportunities to find the manuscript guidelines. I'm keeping my fingers and 16 parrot toes crossed for you!

Thanks! I'll take a peek! I was under the impression that they didn't do humor, but it sure can't hurt to verify that.

Oh, and when you finish that macrame barn, how about trying a parrot cage? :D

Tell you what; if I get a positve response, I'll macrame you a whole damned flock of birds too! :ROFL:

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Schoolmarm said:
Aromatic, yet stylish!

And I am nothing if not stylish! :D

Tell you what; if I get a positve response, I'll macrame you a whole damned flock of birds too! :ROFL:

Only if they don't screech, don't poop a lot, and don't throw their food. If macramed (sp?) birds meet those criteria, then go for it! :roll:

GHF65

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Joanne!

I do believe you're right. I could have had that sucker finished and the queries out almost a year ago. It was settling down to focus on who might be interested in it that kept me dawdling along.

The sense of relief is tremendous! I feel as if I got out of jail free! I've been able to write an article a day for the markets that actually buy my work. It's the sunrise of a new day! ^\^

GHF65

Registered
Reaction score
First reply!

Well, hail and halleluja! I got a positive response from one of the two publishers I queried in February. He seems really interested and asked what a "full proposal" (I offered in my query to send one) might include. Odd question, but I jumped right on it. Hell, if he wants to know what laundry detergent I use and how often I say "pejorative", I'll tell him! I'll pretty much do anything not to have to go POD again. ;)

Now, let this be a push for the rest of you who are sitting on something and afraid to put yourself out there. Go query. Now! What are you waiting for?

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
Schoolmarm said:
Hell, if he wants to know what laundry detergent I use and how often I say "pejorative", I'll tell him! I'll pretty much do anything not to have to go POD again. ;)
:ROFL: You just made my day, Schoolmarm!

Now, let this be a push for the rest of you who are sitting on something and afraid to put yourself out there. Go query. Now! What are you waiting for?
OK, you've convinced me. I don't have a book about animals, (at least not live ones ;) sorry, mine's a horror) but I will get my query out to mags for the few shorts I have about the animals around my house. Thanks for the boost! :D

Congratulations on the positive response. :Clap: I hope everything pulls together for you.

GHF65

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Anne and Joanne.

You're right, Anne, it really wasn't hard. It just took three books on proposal writing, four different versions of the query before I hit on one I didn't feel embarrassed sending out, and the better part of a bottle of gin to ease the waiting period. :e2brows: It's a good thing it was only three weeks or my next book would be a memoir about my years in rehab.

Joanne, I almost typed "just do it", but I'm hardly the person to be trying to motivate someone else. Procrastination is my downfall. I have to have so many ducks in a row before I do anything, I can hardly remember where I started!

I'm learning to number the ducks. You can do the same. Big Magic Markers work best.

BTW, the positive response came from BowTie Press. Their acquisitions editor is an absolute doll to deal with. He couldn't be nicer or more ingratiating. That is making the process as painless as it can ever be, and waiting to find out how they're going to "position" my book in their "list" (those are good words, right . . . tell me those are good words) is easier knowing that I'm not dealing with some a**hat with attitude to spare.

I will also say that I like that they require a snail mail query with chapter outline. I may be out-of-step in my appreciation of that, but there's been some research lately that suggests that email is a very isolating environment and leads to a feeling of anonymity that permits off-hand replies and unpleasant behavior. That's not a criticism of the places that permit (or require) online queries and submissions, but I do believe a piece of paper gets a bit more respect than a few words flitting across the screen.

Or not. What do I know?

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
This is excellent news. Equine humor, huh? I remember when I was at camp (many years ago) horse lovers as myself were called "pilots," we piled it here and we piled it there. Have you ever thought about writing about miniature horses providing therapy?

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Schoolmarm,

Congrats and Good Luck on hearing from Bowtie Press! My downfall is also procrastination! So, this is very inspiriing news.

I also wanted to let you know that I came across a new horse magazine:
http://www.women-horses.com

You can view sample pages too!

All the best

Reece ;)

GHF65

Registered
Reaction score
SHBueche said:
This is excellent news. Equine humor, huh? I remember when I was at camp (many years ago) horse lovers as myself were called "pilots," we piled it here and we piled it there. Have you ever thought about writing about miniature horses providing therapy?

OMG! :ROFL: "Pilots"! I love that!

Y'know, that's a really good topic. I'm going to give some serious thought to that. I have a friend who works for The Seeing Eye where they train some mini's. If she manages not to quit her job before I get to her, I'll see what kind of link I can create for an inside info stream. Thanks!

Hi Schoolmarm,

Congrats and Good Luck on hearing from Bowtie Press! My downfall is also procrastination! So, this is very inspiriing news.

I also wanted to let you know that I came across a new horse magazine:
http://www.women-horses.com

You can view sample pages too!

All the best

Reece ;)

Thanks, Reece! I appreciate the congrats and the link. I just got a copy of The Best of the Magazine Markets for Writers 2006, so let me even the score with a Canadian mag, http://www.horsecountry.ca and one in Ohio, http://www.ustrotting.com (Hoofbeats Magazine). I also found Equestrian Magazine in KY (http://www.usef.org) and Farm and Ranch Living (http://www.farmandranchliving.com).

All of these say they take non-staff submissions, some with more frequency than othersrs.

While I'm at it, I highly recommend the Best of Magazine Markets. I came across it in the NABWW (National Association of Baby Boomer Women) site (I'm a boomer in good standing and a member of the Association). The association offers free advertising for members' books, which I think makes the annual membership fee well worthwhile.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
*ahem*

Don't forget to post these markets in the stickied list at the top of the forum! That way when this post sinks, your markets can still be easily found. Did I ever tell you folks how great I think you are? :)

GHF65

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, will do!

And thanks . . . we like you too.
:Hug2:

Noob

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, i will "Keep my hooves crossed" :)

Or try to... I am sending my first book to a publisher this week, and i am dead scared *help help*. Never tryed to publish a book before, so this is my first try.
I know the publisher liked my idea, since he told me he wanted to read the hole book..... But.. and thats a BIG but... Even if the idea is good - have i manged to do the best i can with it?

So if anyone aint buzzy, cross some hooves for me to.... hehe

cw37066

Registered
Reaction score
Schoolmarm said:
Hell, if he wants to know what laundry detergent I use and how often I say "pejorative", I'll tell him!

LOL.
I have been lurking here for several weeks and finally joined. I am so inspired by all of you it is incredible. I want to sell some freelance work and everytime I log on here I get encouraged to do it. At this point I am pretty sure I can, I just have to get off my butt and do it. Thanks for letting me hang out. I love reading the posts and have gleaned a tremendous amount of information here already.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Welcome, cw37066! There are a lot of inspiring writers here, aren't there? We're so glad you've joined us. What sort of writing do you do?

Hope you'll stick around! :)

Noob

Registered
Reaction score
awatkins said:
Crossing hooves, tail feathers, fingers, everything for ya, Noob. Good luck! :) What's your book about?

Its a nonfiction this time, but i sent in 2 book ideas and the publisher wants to read both :) So eather i am lucky, or the publisher say that to all.. hehe

GHF65

Registered
Reaction score
:Thumbs: Noob, I've got everything crossed that I don't need for standing or eating. Best of luck to you!

How about sharing a little more information? What are your topics, and which publishers did you pick?

CW, welcome! Nice of you to pop out of the shadows and join us. I agree with you. This is one of the most erudite groups I've ever come across, yet they always make everyone feel comfortable. The information-sharing that goes on here is unparalleled. Other stuff gets shared sometimes too, but if you've had your shots, you should be okay. :e2brows:

cw37066

Registered
Reaction score
CW, welcome! Nice of you to pop out of the shadows and join us. I agree with you. This is one of the most erudite groups I've ever come across, yet they always make everyone feel comfortable. The information-sharing that goes on here is unparalleled. Other stuff gets shared sometimes too, but if you've had your shots, you should be okay. :e2brows:

Thank you! I love all of the animated "faces" that you have on your posts. I look forward to settling in and getting to know everyone.

Noob

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Joanne :)

Since i am from Norway, i picked a norvegian publisher. I am not good enough in english to submit elsewhere *s* If i get published, and it sells well - i can "pray" that it get transleated.........

The book i am sending this week, i dont want to say so much about yet - since i "feel" i found a kinda "unik" way of targeting the topic. (+got idea for 3 more with same targeting but different topic's)

The other book is fiction for 9+. Nothing spectaculare really. Its about witches, magic and so on.. (yes yes i know there is a million of them out there allready) hehe.
..but atleast the publisher wanted to read that one to.

GHF65

Registered
Reaction score
Funny you should say that about translating your book. My first one, the POD book I did with iUniverse, was picked up by a Finnish translator and publisher. We worked on it for about a year, clarifying points and making it easier to translate, then she just disappeared. I haven't been able to raise a squawk from her via email, and I don't have her address, only the address of the publisher whose name is on the contract. One of these days soon I'll send a snailmail there and see what happened. I was kind of looking forward to seeing the Finnish version. :Shrug:

Keep us posted if you hear anything back from the publishers you've queried.

Noob

Registered
Reaction score
Schoolmarm said:
Funny you should say that about translating your book. My first one, the POD book I did with iUniverse, was picked up by a Finnish translator and publisher. We worked on it for about a year, clarifying points and making it easier to translate, then she just disappeared. I haven't been able to raise a squawk from her via email, and I don't have her address, only the address of the publisher whose name is on the contract. One of these days soon I'll send a snailmail there and see what happened. I was kind of looking forward to seeing the Finnish version. :Shrug:

Keep us posted if you hear anything back from the publishers you've queried.

Will do, but i guess i would have to wait a month or 3.. *gone jump the mail-man every day*

Hopefully you will hear back soon from that finnish publisher!

Last edited: