Summer camp

joysey

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody send a kid to camp lately? When I worked at a camp, back in the mid 80s, the kids were not allowed to call home in the first week. The theory was it would make homesickness worse. There were no cell phones then, so what I'm wondering is if that sort of rule still applies. Do kids have free access to electronic devices at camp? This is research for a story involving a horse camp if that makes a difference. Thanks for any info about current camping!

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Anybody send a kid to camp lately? When I worked at a camp, back in the mid 80s, the kids were not allowed to call home in the first week. The theory was it would make homesickness worse. There were no cell phones then, so what I'm wondering is if that sort of rule still applies. Do kids have free access to electronic devices at camp? This is research for a story involving a horse camp if that makes a difference. Thanks for any info about current camping!

I'm not quite to this point yet (my daughter is just turning five), but many of my friends are. All the camps around here have a "no electronics" rule - no cell phones, no handheld gaming devices, no iPods, etc. They're a theft magnet, kids are lousy at taking care of them and putting them in safe places, and they distract the kids from what they're supposed to be doing at camp.

Almondjoy

Keep moving forward <3
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the camp.

I'm actually leaving for camp in a few days, and I know we'll be able to use our electronics, because we'll need them for research and stuff. However, we have to give up our car keys.

One of my other friends is going to a stricter camp, and they're not allowed to use electronics. She can't even have her Kindle, actually.

So yeah, it depends. :)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Agree with it depends on the camp. If it's a back to nature type camp, no electronics.

My experience with a kid who attends "nerd camps" is that he can bring his phone, but usage is restricted. If caught using it outside of approved times it will be confiscated. iPod is fine, basic Nook is fine, laptop depends on the camp.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
You could always put the camp in so remote or rural an area that cellular signals are near impossible.

At my local camp, there was until recently a single payphone for camper use. That was it. Calling home was and is discouraged, as homesickness will usually be made worse by talking to mom and dad. Getting the camper involved in something so they forget about it is the recommended procedure.

spamwarrior

rewriting.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
acurrentundersea.wordpress.com
The summer camp I went to had a no electronics policy. The camp was in a rural area, too, so that also made calling and texting difficult. No games, no computers, etc. If there was an emergency, it was understood that the camp counselors would call back home.

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
My brother attends summer snowboarding camps and before that he went to Camp Woodward which is the premier action sports camp in the US. He was allowed to have his phone and ipod at both of them.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Just dropped my two off at camp today. :D (It's my son's fourth year and my daughter's second.)

At this particular camp, there are no electronics allowed, and no phone calls home. I can email them, to a general email address for the camp with their name and cabin in the subject line.