• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Any interest in a regional beta reading group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvin-Bala

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all -

At the risk of sounding a little creepy, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a beta read exchange regionally? I can imagine the thought of meeting some from an online forum in real time can be intimidating. However, I can see some benefits from it.

I think having a personal connection can be more assuring with sharing the work. I at least find it scary to share a whole manuscript online without knowing exactly who's reading it; for all I know there could be some plagarist (if that's a word) stealing my work. Having an in-person review can help with accountability.

Also, I think discussing the work in person can help reduce the negativity that could be misinterpreted over digital media. Yes, we're called to have a thick skin to criticism, but actually having a personal conversation might help soften some of the harder things to otherwise read online.

What do you guys think? In particular, if anyone lives in the Chicagoland area, I'd be very interested in setting something up...

Thanks,
Elvin

JimHeskett

Writers gon write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jimheskett.com
I'm in Colorado, otherwise I would. I just wanted to say how tragic/amusing it is that the idea of meeting a person face to face is creepy in the digital age

Donnie Marsh

DÈẴƊ ḈỂƝŦƐȐ ƉËẪḒ
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donniemarsh.com
Oh how I wish there was something like that in this area. I'm not afraid to meet anyone. I actually prefer a person to the screen name, a voice to the words.

Status
Not open for further replies.