Status
Not open for further replies.

CynV

The Original Cyn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CynthiaVespia.com
I have a title published with Amazon Createspace. I really want to make a hardcover edition of it and they don't offer that option.

Does anyone know if I can take the title over to LuLu to create a hardcover or is that a conflict of interest?
I purchased my own ISBN for the book before I ever published it.

I had intended to pull the title from Amazon and then take it to LuLu but Amazon won't let me pull the title now that it has already been published.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I have a title published with Amazon Createspace. I really want to make a hardcover edition of it and they don't offer that option.

Does anyone know if I can take the title over to LuLu to create a hardcover or is that a conflict of interest?
I purchased my own ISBN for the book before I ever published it.

I had intended to pull the title from Amazon and then take it to LuLu but Amazon won't let me pull the title now that it has already been published.

You can take it off sale at Amazon anytime. It's your book, and you hold all the rights. But you can also leave it on sale at Amazon in paperback and produce a hardcover elsewhere if you want to.

When you publish it elsewhere, you should use a different ISBN than the one you used at Amazon, because it's a different edition, technically.

Also, look into Lightning Source for the hardcover instead of Lulu. At least compare them before you pull the trigger.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You can't delete a book from Amazon once it's published: people who have bought copies might want to sell them second-hand, and so the book will remain there even if you mark it out of print.

You shouldn't use the same ISBN for a paperback and a hard cover edition, even if they are both of the same book. Different editions require different ISBNs. So if you want a hardback edition of the same book you'll need another ISBN.

I see no problem with you using Lulu to create this hardback edition, while leaving the CreateSpace paperback available for sale. But do check your contract with CreateSpace, just to make sure.

CynV

The Original Cyn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CynthiaVespia.com
Thanks for the info on the ISBN guys, did not know that. So if I have to get a new ISBN for a new edition anyway then I can pretty much just take the hardcover wherever I want to.

Shelleyo, I have looked at Lightning Source but it is my understanding that you have to be a publisher in order to use it.
Also, I have heard it is very technical and you only get one shot to make it right otherwise you have to pay for the revisions.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Shelleyo, I have looked at Lightning Source but it is my understanding that you have to be a publisher in order to use it.

When you're self-publishing you ARE a publisher, Cyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.