Should you tell an agent who requests the full that another agent has also done so?

you-think-too-much

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.you-think-too-much.com
Is there a kind of etiquette or rules about when more than one agent requests your full manuscript? Should you let the second agent know that someone else has also requested the full?

Also, I know that agents don't like it when you send out queries after they've made an offer of representation. Is it okay to keep sending out queries when someone is reading the full?

Thanks!

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
<<<Is there a kind of etiquette or rules about when more than one agent requests your full manuscript? Should you let the second agent know that someone else has also requested the full?

Also, I know that agents don't like it when you send out queries after they've made an offer of representation. Is it okay to keep sending out queries when someone is reading the full?
>>>

If the agent asks, you should say yes. If they don't, say nothing.

It is perfectly acceptable to continue submitting when you have a full being (hopefully) read elsewhere.

Good Luck!

Berlu

Registered
Reaction score
Is it okay to keep sending out queries when someone is reading the full?

I would say most definitely YES. In my experience, some agents who had requested my full never answered EVEN when I had an offer of representation. So it would be a waste of time for you to just sit around while agents read (or don't read) your work.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You don't need to let agents know others are reading the full unless they ask or unless they ask for an exclusive.

And yes, absolutely keep sending out queries while an agent has your full. It's not guarantee it will turn into an offer or even that you'll get a response, let alone feedback.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I send out queries until I accept an offer. I don't normally tell anyone what I've sent, where I've sent it or what the status is.

The exception is when I have an offer. I tell the offering agent/publisher that I have other queries out (if I'm not overwhelmed and take the offer immediately...) and I tell anyone who has requested a full that I have an offer in hand and, if they are interested, to respond as soon as practical.

Never had a bidding war... :(

Jeff

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Mayqueen has it right as does WeaselFire. Except for that part about exclusives. Exclusives stink.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Except for that part about exclusives. Exclusives stink.
I've been asked for exclusives a few times and have always replied that I can't give an exclusive at this time as I have work at other agents/publishers. Never had anyone reject the full proposal for that reason.

As I get further into fiction, that may change. Non fiction is a different world in many ways.

Jeff

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I always thought it was an odd thing when an agency/agent states they only accept exclusive submissions. Don't they know writers generally send out multiple queries? To expect a writer to send out one and only one, then wait for x amount of time, seems unrealistic to me. Or is there something I don't understand about the process?

I have bypassed some agents/agencies I thought might be a really good fit for my stuff because of that policy. I'm wondering if there's a way around it. I'm not talking about sending your work, then getting the request as you say, WeaselFire. Talking about that first contact, when you already have other submissions out there. . .

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
kkbe, I've skipped agents who have that policy stated on their website, too, especially if they're no-response-means-no agencies. I wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot, but I also wonder about what happens if they do happen to want to read the full but someone else has already requested it. Like weaselfire, I've been asked for an exclusive before and I just politely said, "Other agents are already reading it" (which was true). And the agent was fine with that.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Just not getting why they'd do that.

ETA: Not to sound stupid or clueless (although I have been both :)). I know why they do it. Maybe the pool is so vast--all those writers writing novels, slushpiles towering ten feet high--they can post such a restriction on their website and feel nary a pinch.

No doubt, that's the case. Which means I just answered my own question. But I still don't like the answer very much.

Last edited:

Steven Hutson

Registered
Reaction score
I have never asked for an exclusive, and I've never honored one. Either they want your business or they don't. Many agents and publishers will take months to respond; how long do you REALLY want to take, to get on with your career?