Australia's PM gets the knife, again

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Julia Gillard has just lost a caucus ballot to Kevin Rudd 57 - 45, bringing to an end her run as first female Australian prime minister a little over 3 years after she engineered a similar fate for ... Rudd. History repeats.

If you don't remember, Gillard scraped back in with a minority government after the coup, and since then it's been mostly downhill in terms of popularity. This is the second last day of parliament before the next election, and this is really a last-ditch attempt from Labor to hold on to some of its vote in the face of strong opposition from Tony Abbott and the Liberal party. Rudd remains personally popular with the electorate, and there remains an undercurrent of feeling in the community that he was hard done by, to be removed in his first term of office, for poorly-explained reasons.

It's suggested now that parliament will be prorogued and an earlier election called, as Rudd is unlikely to get the support of all of the crossbench who have been propping up the minority government.

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
a639e0f9-63e1-436b-ad41-e49a805e33d8_zpsacbd3ad2.jpg

A lot of schools are going to be upset as they had their fetes organised for the September election date.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I can only imagine the conniptions in the Nine control suite. Do they go with the historic change in national leadership, or the kickoff of the footy match? Luckily they voted quickly. Footy it is.

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
LOL I can see Labor being the most hated party in history after pulling this stunt today. Imagine all the pre-game sponsorship $ that has been lost because they only had a 10min or so pre-amble!

Are you still smiling...? 14-nil ;)

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'll see you a 14-nil in the 1st quarter and raise you after half time a

*sees current score*

So, how bout that federal politics?

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
LOL How's about those fistycuffs?! If politics had that sort of passion maybe more of us would be interested.

24-nil... just sayin' ;)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I missed the football. But I have to say, it looks like once again we're going to get the politicians we deserve :(

ETA: Mind you, an extended conversation between Leigh Sales and Annabel Crabb on the pernicious influence of poll politics in this country makes me feel better....

Last edited:

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
I am literally at the point of anyone but abbot. All this does is change the PR image of the labour party - policies are still the same, last time I checked.

It's a merry-go-round. We now have the same PM that we had previously, before we got a new PM without an election. We got the old one back, also without an election.

It's just a burning merry-go-round. I wish people would wake up and realised that you don't vote for PM, you have little to no say in it, the only thing you determine is who represents your area.

And now I have to choose between a totally inept party and one I disagree vehemently with.

This is the one time I hate preferential voting. Greens may be at number 1, but eventually I've got to give my vote to one of the major parties .

Last edited:

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
And now I have to choose between a totally inept party and one I disagree vehemently with.

I have the same problem, only it's Labor I vehemently disagree with. What is scary is that Clive Palmer may be in with a chance simply out of spite towards the two major bumbling-idiot parties, reminiscent of how One Nation received their support.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It sounds similar to the problem we have here in that we don't like any of our politicians. The only thing I can suggest is voting local, not national. But that does work better in a FPP system.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think Labour here has something in common with the US GOP - not ideology, certainly.

There are a whole lot of people who want to support Labour, but they can no longer support *this* Labour government, because they've made such a dog's breakfast of things. Or, more to the point, that the values they espouse now are not what they once were.

Personally? I'm thrilled about the outcome. Gillard, not Rudd, called for this spill - and she went all in. Winner takes all, loser doesn't just go home -- loser retires from politics. It needed to happen.

But I thought it was funny how she said the Party divisions have made her time in leadership difficult; that's all her doing. She pushed Rudd out in the first place, then she had to make deals with two Independent MPs to win majority in the next election - by one vote. So division is how she got to the top.

If Turnbull - or Costello - would make a return and oust Abbott, then we'd be talking. But Gillard and Abbott are really not a happy choice. Shame - I'd wanted to like Gillard, but the way she got there, and the cynical way in which she governed, made it impossible.

This result is probably better for her than waiting for an election. I'm betting that, like John Howard in 2007, she'd have ended up in the ignominious position of being a sitting Prime Minister who lost her own Parliament seat. (Note to Americans: Australia differs from America in that Aussies don't vote directly for their leader; they vote for their Parliament reps, then the party gaining a House majority chooses its leader from among their members in Parliament -- but it's always clear who that leader's going to be.)

Tony Abbott has one quality that Gillard doesn't: he is candid about his bastardry. His meanness is there for everyone to see.

Last edited:

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
Likely scenario, of course, is that Labor will lose the election, forcing Rudd to resign as well and leaving us with...

I don't know. Does that leave Anthony Albanese and Bill Shorten as leader and deputy leader of the opposition?

(Also, to those thinking of voting Green, I urge you to look at that party's performance as part of the current Tasmanian government.)

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
Peter Garrett came and spoke at my son's school last month. While he was very friendly and personable mingling with parents, my goodness his speech was dull. He was stiff and obviously uncomfortable. There was no passion in his delivery. I personally think he has a lot more to offer our society by returning to rock, rebuilding his 'celebrity' status, and using that to support environmental endeavours. It is obvious that is where his passion lies.

ElsaM

lurker extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I vote left, and I'm not a Kevin Rudd fan.

I thought this article from The Age on his previous go as prime minister was interesting. Basically, it states that he was very difficult to work with, unliked by the people who knew him personally, and constantly on the verge of disaster. I've spoken to someone who did some work for him during this period and they say the same thing.

I was sympathetic after he was initially deposed, but lost all of it after he continuously undermined the Labor party over the last three years.

Despite the very significant pieces of legislation that Gillard managed to get through parliament with a minority government, she is being characterised as someone who deliberately "played the gender card" to avoid talking about policy.

I'm not really happy with Australian politics at the moment.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
The Green movement could probably benefit from Mr Garrett throwing his political skills behind them.

Half-heartedly trying to start an argument:

The most effective voting strategy is to take a close look at the people you're voting for and select your local member based on his/her intelligence and ability to function as an MP.

Unless you live in the electorates of Griffith or Warringah, you don't get to vote for Rudd or Abbott anyway. We choose the people who choose the leader - we don't vote directly for who we want as Prime Minister.

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
The Green movement could probably benefit from Mr Garrett throwing his political skills behind them.

Half-heartedly trying to start an argument:

The most effective voting strategy is to take a close look at the people you're voting for and select your local member based on his/her intelligence and ability to function as an MP.

Unless you live in the electorates of Griffith or Warringah, you don't get to vote for Rudd or Abbott anyway. We choose the people who choose the leader - we don't vote directly for who we want as Prime Minister.

I actually use that method for Local and State - afterall, those members actually get involved and do stuff for my immediate community. I am even on first name basis with the sitting members because they get involved and get to know people in our area.

Federal - I couldn't tell you who my member is, or what party they are in. Never see or hear anything from them. So for Federal I vote based on party.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Tony Abbott has one quality that Gillard doesn't: he is candid about his bastardry. His meanness is there for everyone to see.
Yep. There's an assembly of miserable bastards on offer and he's the most viable for PM.

Personally, I'd rather have Turnbull.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
It's worth noting Penny Wong is now Senate leader and finance minister, which is probably the highest post any LGBT politician has held in our country (not to discount Michael Kirby's pioneering run as High Court Justice in any way). It's a pity she's not in the House so can't be the deputy PM (or PM). But compared to most high-profile Laborites she has survived the last three years relatively untouched by personal unpopularity or scandal (legitimate or media-confected). I hope for big things for her in the future.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, didn't Pauline Hanson write a bad bit of speculative fiction back in the 90s about a dystopian 21st century Australia ruled by a Chinese lesbian cyborg who oppressed white people? Do I remember that right? For everything wrong with that woman, she may not have been that far off.

ETA: from Wikipedia, quoted whole because what the ever living fork.

Not long after her election to Parliament, Pauline Hanson published and launched a book called The Truth. In this book there were claims of Aboriginal cannibalism. There was mention of Aboriginal women eating their babies and tribes cannibalising their members. Hanson had stated to the media that the reason for these claims of cannibalism was to "demonstrate the savagery of Aboriginal society". David Ettridge, the One Nation party director, explained that the book's claims were intended to correct 'misconceptions' about Aboriginal history. These 'misconceptions' were said to be relevant to Aboriginal welfare funds. He also said that "the suggestion that we should be feeling some concern for modern day Aborigines for suffering in the past is balanced a bit by the alternative view of whether you can feel sympathy for people who eat their babies".[83] There were also claims that by 2050 Australia will have a president of Chinese-Indian background called Poona Li Hung and she would be part machine.[84] In 2004, Hanson stated that the book was "written by some other people who actually put my name to it" and that while she held the copyright over The Truth, she was unaware that much of the material was being published under her name.[85]

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
I love that whomever wrote it went to the level of detail of even giving the futuristic Chinese-Indian cyborg a name. Kind of makes me want to find a copy to read :roll:
I do believe it would have been written by someone else, if only for the fact that many of the words used have more than 5 letters in them.