Best Cartoons in history

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Made in response to the worst cartoons ever. What are you favorite cartoons in history? Also, western animation, not eastern/anime. We already have a thread for anime.

For personal favorites of all time:

Rocko's Modern Life. This was one of the most brilliant cartoons I've ever seen. Great satire of society that adults will like, and plenty of humor for kids. Also has one of the best political satire episodes I've ever seen in, Ed Good and Rocko Bad.

Ren and Stimpy. I fully recognize that this isn't for everyone but as a kid, I absolutely loved the pure insanity of this cartoon. Everything from slapstick, to pure dark horror, to some of the weirdest heartwarming moments.

For best current running cartoons, I'd say:

Adventure Time. Has a great amount of lore built into the world, has some great character backstories (Marcy and Simon in particular), and a unique style.

Regular Show. Part of the same reasoning as Ren and Stimpy. it's a cartoon where literally anything and everything can happen. The show can start with them setting up the chairs and end with them beating the destroyer of worlds, in only eleven minutes. It has a great late eighties, early nineties feel for its tech level and music. And nice characters.

MLP: Friendship is Magic. Considering my avatar and signature, this won't come as a shock. Great characters, some really good pop-culture reference (including a Big Lebowski one), a large variety of characters, great animation, and pretty good humor. Plus, it makes great use of cartoon physics.

The Amazing World of Gumball. The best animation quality of any current western cartoon, in my opinion. It uses so many different styles and mixes them together perfectly. Also, great use of cartoon physics and the anything can happen quality.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
In no particular order:

--Ren & Stimpy
--George of the Jungle
--Rocky and Bullwinkle
--Samurai Jack
--a few classic Bugs Bunny cartoons (What's Opera Doc?, The Barber of Seville, etc.)

For the nostalgia factor:
--the original seasons of Scooby-Doo and Josie and the Pussycats
--Jonny Quest
--Mighty Mouse
--Schoolhouse Rock

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
The cartoons that have made me laugh the most are...

"Wabbit Twouble", starring Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd. Seriously funny!

"Chow Hound". This is another classic Warner Brothers 'toon, the one with the famous tagline "What? No gravy?" Best ending EVER!

Nonfic

Thick Fish; Learning About New Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I liked Batman The Animated Series, that's the only decent cartoon I can remember from my childhood.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I liked Batman The Animated Series, that's the only decent cartoon I can remember from my childhood.

I'd expand that to the entire DCAU. The continuity they pulled off was amazing. Also, Clancy Brown as Luthor was awesome.

Others for me...

Darkwing Duck
Gargoyles
MLP:FiM
Tiny Toon Adventures
Johnny Bravo (the 1st 2 seasons at least)
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Pirates of Dark Water (though, making the woman be the healer/magic user after an initial badass beginning was cringe-worthy. Still, wish they had finished the series)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
When I was growing up--yes, long ago--the early Bugs Bunny cartoons from the 50's were king--What's Opera, Doc? is still a classic--along with Jonny Quest, The Flinstones, and that was about it then.

Modern day--I watch them with my kids--pretty much everything in the DCAU. Batman, TAS paved the way, then Superman, TAS, and finally Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. Only watched the first season of Young Justice and found the second season annoying mainly because they ignored continuity and screwed it all up. I don't know if it's still being shown, but if it isn't, only the writers have themselves to blame.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Oh gosh, so many. Let's see ...

Animaniacs
Pinky and The Brain
Freakazoid (what? I loved it)
Tiny Toon Adventures
Rocko's Modern Life
Hey, Arnold!
Rugrats
Fairly Odd Parents (early seasons)
Dexter's Lab
Power Puff Girls
Samurai Jack
Johnny Bravo
Foster's Home for the Imaginary Friend
Adventure Time
Recess
(Some) Looney Tunes
XMen: The Animated Series
Batman: The Animated Series

I promise I went outside to play as a kid.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I was starting to be sad to see so little of Avatar on this thread. :)

I'm another Batman: TAS fan as well (And Batman Beyond - later DCAU shows were probably as good, but none have that special place in my heart)

Samurai Jack is another, probably my favorite of his series, whatever curses that may bring down upon my head. I thought they did some incredibly clever things with styles, colors, mood and design.

And if we're going from best into favorites, I have a really guilty spot in my heart that belonged for ages to Fox's Peter Pan and the Pirates. Never liked the Disney Peter Pan, but that one, I loved...

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Star Wars: Clone Wars! They desuckified the franchise and left only the cool parts.

Thundercats was pretty cool (though it hasn't aged well), and Dexter's Lab was pure awesome. I was unfortunately too young for Batman: The Animated Series and too old for Justice League.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're never too old for cartoons.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
No, but life tends to creep in and suddenly you have all this (airquotes) "responsabilities" and "girlfriends" and "jobs"...

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My favorites

Old School toons
Bugs Bunny/Road Runner and I remember when it was on for 4 hours on Sat morning
Captain Caveman
Magilla Gorllia
Shmoo
School House Rocks
Fat Albert
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Underdog
Hong Kong Phooey

Modern toons
Transformers
Hey Arnold
As Told By Ginger
Rugrats
Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends
Ren & Stimpy
MLP Friendship is Magic

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I was all about Raggedy Ann, by Studio Fleischer; Popeye, too. I watched a lot of Looney Toons, but mostly Marvin the Martian. Later, I loved Ren and Stimpy and Darkwing Duck. I also liked Disney's Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, and the Night on Bald Mountain sequence from Fantasia.

In the "favorites" section, I freely admit I was on board with just about any actioneer from the eighties. Sunbow? Own and still watch most of them. He-Man/She Ra? Those too. Ninja Turtles? Those too. Thundercats? Those, too. However, Dungeons & Dragons and The Real Ghostbusters were probably my favorites, for the obvious reason they had the most monsters.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, a few favourites from my childhood. He-man, Thundercats, Transformers, Dungeons and Dragons, Ninja Turtles. The Smurfs. Scooby doooo.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... "Looney Tunes," staring daffy duck, buggs bunny,
porky pig, elmer fudd, and yosemite sam.
(Ones from the 40s & 50s.) Also "Tom & Jerry!"
And one modern one: "My Life as a Teenage Robot."

JRehnay

My cats don't let me sleep.
Registered
Reaction score
Invader Zim and Frisky Dingo. AMAZING and hilarious. Note: Frisky Dingo is for a more mature audience than Invader Zim.

rcmckenzie

Registered
Reaction score
My Little Pony: FiM and Freakazoid!

'nuff said.

You're never too old for cartoons.

My ex-stepfather would disagree somewhat. Usually if I were watching something animated, he'd call it a "baby cartoon" and tell me to watch something "my age".

Basically he has Animation Age Ghetto

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
My Little Pony: FiM and Freakazoid!

'nuff said.

My ex-stepfather would disagree somewhat. Usually if I were watching something animated, he'd call it a "baby cartoon" and tell me to watch something "my age".

Basically he has Animation Age Ghetto

My dad's an animation fan, but he was a bit skeptical when I came home from college one day excited because I'd found a cheap copy of Watership Down on DVD. "Scary? How can that be scary? It's got a cartoon bunny on it!"

...so then, I showed it to him, and...

:evil

Wiskel

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
High above the rooftops...swinging from web to web
Dangermouse
The Tick

Can I make an offical complaint that no-one's mentioned them so far?

Loved Thundercats, Ninja Turtles and He-man as a child but they haven't aged well.

I've just discovered Adventure Time. Episode two in Emo-land (sorry, Lumpy land) has already sold me on this one.

I keep meaning to watch MLP but haven't got round to it yet as my only access would be youtube and that's full of other distracting things. Same for Clone wars, but at least i can get that on dvd.

Craig

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Wow, Shadow Dragon. Your list is exactly the same as the one I was compiling for WORST cartoons of all time. :)

To me, the greatest cartoon ever, was Jonny Quest. The original 1960s series with the great theme song. I own the DVD collection and watch them every few months.

Scooby Do, Where Are You? Again, the original series before they started meeting the Harlem Globetrotters and introduced Scrappy Do.

Star Trek, the animated series from the 60s.

The original Warner Brothers Loony Tunes from the '40s.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The 80s series only.

Thundercats. Again the 80s series. Cheetara was hot!

That's all I can think of without researching. My mind ain't what it used to be. And honestly, even then it wasn't so great.