New laptop in the house!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Uh-huh. Uh-huh!

Now I just have to turn it on and run through the set-up, then figure out if I need an admin profile in addition to my profile and my wife's profile and then I have to learn windows 8 and then teach her how to navigate through windows 8.

I'm putting it off. Can you tell?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, it is for writing. It replaces my current POS that crashes if it overheats. That randomly loses the Internet forcing a reboot. That won't reboot or shut down without taking forever and then crashing. That has a disc drive that its forgotten how to access. That won't let me use headphones because the jack is busted and the USB ports have stopped recognizing most devices. That I haven't been able to install a new program on in over a year because of the aforementioned crashing problem upon restart.

So it'll be nice to write without worrying ill lose everything.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, sounds like a real POS laptop (the old one)!

My old laptop had some problems, but it wasn't as bad as that. Basically, the disc drive didn't work, and there were lines down the screen (never did figure out if it was the video card or the screen itself), and it definitely overheated.

I'm really happy with this current laptop, which is now probably 2 years old or so... It's actually more powerful than my desktop PC, which desperately needs to be upgraded (though I don't have the money).

What type of laptop did you get?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
woot.gif
woot.gif

As someone who has suffered with POS laptop you have my true congratulations. And you should be happy to know Microsoft just released Windows 8.1 as a free download since people seem to have complained about 8.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
.... And you should be happy to know Microsoft just released Windows 8.1 as a free download since people seem to have complained about 8.
Oh good! You'd think Microsoft would have realized back last June when people took advantage of the free beta version. Microsoft forums were loaded with complaints about it and suggestions on how to tweak it.

SF--have fun with the new laptop!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mister Ferret, enjoy. Take all the time you need to master the new stuff; it'll come. And don't forget the Tech board here has people who can answer questions as they come up in language you can understand. Woo-hoo, huh?

Maryn, happy for you

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's an HP. 8gig of memory and a terabyte of hard disc space.

I know where my anxiety was coming from. Besides facing Windows 8, I mean. I've had my old laptop for 5 or more years. I'm experiencing moving anxiety, as if I were physically moving to a new place. All my photos and documents and bookmarks and so on are on my old one and I'm not sure how they're going to make the move over. I don't want to lose anything or have to start from scratch, but in some cases I probably will have to (browser settings).

Last night it took me all evening just to run through the start-up/set-up. But I was able to make one Facebook post (except I had to download the FB app. I never could figure out how to get the "Social" tile to work). And then I watched Netflix before passing out. :D

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I know what you mean. I have a six year old computer that I use every day. I have a USB w/ my Favorites folder, pics, docs, etc. (I also have Dropbox.) But just the thought of getting all that on to a new computer someday soon, tweaking Windows to the way I want it, makes me want to hit the Rumpleminz schnapps early in the set-up.