R.I.P. Richard Matheson

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
We lost one of the greats today. A giant of genre literature, he wrote I am Legend, What Dreams May Come, The Incredible Shrinking Man, A Stir of Echoes and much much more, including episodes of Star Trek, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, Kolchak the Night Stalker and numerous film scripts alongside some of the best horror short stories ever written.

He'll be sorely missed.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
:(

First Bradbury, now Matheson. Has it even been a year yet?

Thanks for the stories. What a legacy.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read any of Matheson's published works except his very good World War II novel, The Beardless Warriors.

But I recently learned that he also wrote one of the all-time great "Twilight Zone" episodes: "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet". Yep, that's the one with William Shatner...and an airplane...and a...(no spoilers).

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
RIP Mr. Matheson

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call "The Twilight Zone".

- Rod Serling

ETA: Shrinking man vs giant spider not-withstanding, my favorite Matheson and most memorable TZ episode is the little girl lost in the wall of her bedroom and her dog saves her. I'll remember this dude for awhile!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnGB6-rq1fA&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Last edited:

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
But I recently learned that he also wrote one of the all-time great "Twilight Zone" episodes: "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet". Yep, that's the one with William Shatner...and an airplane...and a...(no spoilers).

(for a smile at least: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLTqY7tMzFE)

I had to read "Born of Man & Woman" for college. What a talent. :(

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
And what a college. Colleges are not always receptive to genre.

It was a class specifically on Science Fiction. I was thrilled when it was offered (Hofstra '97). The first sentence of "Born of Man & Woman" has always stuck with me...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Really fine writer, and proof that great writing transcends genre. Anyone who has seen the movie version of I Am Legend, I first recommend some minor degree of counseling, after which you should read the novel.

. . . although it's possible you might need the counseling after reading the novel.

caw

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Now he is with the legends.

Had a full life, wrote a number of wonderful stories, and helped fuel the imaginations of countless writers. RIP.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
He was a man of many interests, moving from pulpcore adventures to psychological haunted house horrors to transendentalist love stories.

He outlived some of the legends of the generation after him, who were inspired as youths, reading his books. As did Bradbury. May we all live to such age and stature.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
One of the greats. Total pro.

His 1954 novel "I Am Legend" is seminal, and the root of every zombie movie made since 1968. (I'm pretty sure George Romero was heavily influenced by the 1964 Vincent Price movie "The Last Man on Earth", a fairly faithful adaptation of "I Am Legend".)

Also, of course, just a great storyteller. Lots of sharp, impactful short stories, well-crafted novels, and some of the best tv movies and episodes. (Including one of my favorites, 1972's "The Night Stalker".)