Skateboard on ice?

Lpapercranes

Registered
Reaction score
Would it be possible to skateboard on ice if you were a good skateboarder to begin with? Serious ice, like an ice rink or a frozen lake, not just a road that's a little icy.
If yes, would it be faster or slower than ice skating?

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a skateboarder, but I do figure skate. Ice skates need sharp edges to be able to glide along the surface of the ice. If your blades are dull, you'll go sliding around and won't be able to control your movements very well. I'm just thinking of skateboard wheels and how they have no grooves or anything. They would have no traction whatsoever on ice, I'm guessing. You might be able to slide around, but you wouldn't have any control. Think of how you have to put special tires on your car in the winter for driving on ice. Regular tires won't give you the traction you need. I'd imagine it's the same for skateboard wheels.

For your second question, ice skating includes a wide variety of speeds. If you're a speed skater, with special blades, you can go extremely fast. If you're a figure skater, you can go moderately fast, or you can go rather slow, depending on your ability and courage. There is no "average speed of ice skating," unless you're just talking about someone stroking around the rink, but even that can vary drastically, depending on the skater's type of skates and how much confidence they have.

Lpapercranes

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Orianna!

For the speed part of my question, I guess I was just trying to get a comparison of how it might feel, speed-wise, to a character who was comparing it to their amateur ice-skating experiences. If they got on a skateboard on the ice, would they say, "wow, this feels so much faster than I expected," or slower, or about the same speed as when they skate for fun? I know there are variables, but I was just trying to figure out what her reaction to the speed would be, as someone who's just gone skating at rinks for fun in the past.

Lpapercranes

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm....your comment about tires made me think. Is there some everyday household thing my character could add to their skateboard wheels to add friction? Something they could do on the spur of the moment. Like adding bits of duct tape to the wheels in a pattern so they're only partly covered, or something like that?

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
If he steps on the ice with a regular skateboard, I would imagine it would quickly fly out from under his feet and he would land flat on his back, flushed with embarrassment.

As for altering the wheels, I can't believe anything would work other than thick, deeply grooved, rubber tires--which would not go fast. Think about the zamboni and how slowly it maneuvers across the ice. It's the weight and the special tires that help it stay steady, I believe. They don't go fast and they cannot maneuver quickly, not without losing control. If you want speed, you need skate blades.

Apparently, there is a way of converting your skateboard using hockey skate blades. Check out this YouTube video on how to do it.

Lpapercranes

Registered
Reaction score
The converting-the-board method is cool, but wouldn't work in this case...But thanks! :)

what if she sat on the board and scooted along with her hands, kind of like you do when you just start sledding and you're getting yourself going at the top of a hill? If there's so little friction, would she be able to pick up some momentum and get going at a reasonable speed? (say, at least as faster than the average human can run?)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The converting-the-board method is cool, but wouldn't work in this case...But thanks! :)

what if she sat on the board and scooted along with her hands, kind of like you do when you just start sledding and you're getting yourself going at the top of a hill? If there's so little friction, would she be able to pick up some momentum and get going at a reasonable speed? (say, at least as faster than the average human can run?)
I don't think she'd reach a 'reasonable' speed, the tires are too wide, there would be too much friction for speedy sliding, but not enough to let the wheels turn properly. On the other hand if a person pursuing her on the ice was wearing street shoes, he'd be slipping and sliding and not much of a threat.
Also, in an ice rink, there are only a few entry/exit points. You don't chase, you just wait.
Even a snowboard wouldn't help: they need that slope to get the momentum going, just pushing isn't enough.

What if her previous skating experience gave her enough of a sense of how to balance on the ice that, in smooth soled shoes, she just slid faster and more accurately than her clumsy, unpracticed pursuer? She'd be slower than she was in ice skates, but faster than a guy flailing and falling.

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
The other problem aside from the board just sliding around would be having a means of propelling it. With a skateboard, unless you're going down a hill, you need to push yourself along with one foot to build up your speed. To try doing that on ice would get you little to no results unless your character was wearing some form of cleat or there was snow frozen to the ice that gave some traction.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com