PDA

View Full Version : Ender's Game (Movie)

Silent Assassin
06-25-2013, 12:02 AM
I just saw the trailer, and it looks promising. It definitely has the cast. How do you guys think it will fair?

dragonjax
06-25-2013, 04:35 PM
I just saw the trailer, and it looks promising. It definitely has the cast. How do you guys think it will fair?

Cautiously hopeful. I'm typing this with crossed fingers.

Alessandra Kelley
06-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Just curious. Why are you cautiously hopeful?

CrastersBabies
06-25-2013, 07:34 PM
We'll see. If Card didn't have much to do with it, we might be okay (considering he wanted to cast JAKE LLOYD - the kid from Phantom Menace as Ender way back when).

It looks pretty cool. One would hope that they wouldn't wait this long to bring the story to the screen only to frack it up, but I'm a wee bit cautious with all adaptations like this. I'm not a purist by any means, but stuff like WWZ and Superman have not gone over well with me in the last few weeks (all adapted from source material).

Holding breath a wee bit.

My biggest concern is that the movie will get such bad press because Card is a homophobic nutjob that it might kill any sequel potential.

Stiger05
06-25-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm excited for it, but nervous the movie won't do the book justice. Regardless of Card's personal beliefs, this is one of my favorite books and I would hate to see a crappy translation to screen.

sassandgroove
06-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Just curious. Why are you cautiously hopeful?
I can't speak for the others obviously but with Ender being so young, it can be hard to adapt and I know that in the past people wanted to make him older and give him a love interest and all that jazz, instead of staying with the source material. So I'm cautiously hopeful that they are sticking to the heart of the story and not making it like every other movie.

J. A. Rama
06-27-2013, 07:46 AM
I do know that Card was involved with writing the screenplay way back when, and the reason it took so long was because he was finding it hard to do the movie justice and not make it terribly long. I don't see how he would not still be involved now, but I'm curious.

Also, Stiger05, you said it. I'm torn, because I don't exactly agree with his personal beliefs, but it is still one of my favorite SF books, and it is for that reason that I want to see the movie. I know it's hard to do, but I do hope the movie manages to stay true to the theme of the book.

@sassandgrove

*spits out drink*

They wanted to give Ender a love interest in Ender's Game? But...but...that would change the story entirely! It would basically turn it into Hunger Games Pt. II! EG is too dark to fit that model!

Zoombie
06-27-2013, 08:06 AM
They wanted to give Ender a love interest in Ender's Game? But...but...that would change the story entirely! It would basically turn it into Hunger Games Pt. II! EG is too dark to fit that model!

I find it amusing that the Hunger Games - wherein, for decades, children are forced to fight eachother to the death for the amusement of the adults - is not "dark" in this equation.

Kyla Laufreyson
06-27-2013, 08:28 AM
The boy who plays Ender (Asa Butterfield, I think?) did an impromptu AMA on reddit and he made it sound like they did the book justice. The way he talked about it gave me a lot more confidence in this than I had before. It's right here (http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1dxm81/i_am_asa_butterfield_star_of_films_such_as_hugo/), if anyone wants to have a look.

And the trailer I saw at Star Trek: Into Darkness looked pretty excellent, but I'm well-aware you can't always judge by a trailer.

Velcro
06-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Phew, it's been a while since I posted on AW. But I was browsing this section for reviews on Man of Steel and had to weigh in on this one.

I too cherish the book, I have it sitting right next to me while I'm recovering in the hospital. I've heard they plan to start the movie later on in Ender's time at the Battle School and go from there to decrease some of the child-on-child violence. The few pics I saw from Tor.com looked interesting especially with Harrison Ford as Graff (I assume, can't remember exactly now).

Anyway, I will keep my fingers crossed and plan on seeing it the moment it comes out. However, I was disturbed to hear that Card suffers from homophobia? I guess I've never heard that before and while I haven't read all of his books, I've never gotten that "vibe" from the many I have read.

Well, not to end on a controversial note so here's a little anecdote. I was scheduled for not one, but two enemas yesterday before I went in for a colonoscopy (I know, too much detail) and the nurse thought it was funny I had a book called "Ender's Game" with me. Obviously hinting at what end all of this was going to take place at.

Cheers!

dragonjax
06-28-2013, 03:15 PM
So I'm cautiously hopeful that they are sticking to the heart of the story and not making it like every other movie.

Ditto.

Manuel Royal
06-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Haven't read the book because I don't care for Card's writing. (Even before I knew he was a willfully-ignorant bigot. Just didn't like his stuff.)

I've heard it described as the sociopathic wish-fulfillment fantasy of an abused child. Does that make sense?

Oreo1909
06-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Haven't read the book because I don't care for Card's writing. (Even before I knew he was a willfully-ignorant bigot. Just didn't like his stuff.)

I've heard it described as the sociopathic wish-fulfillment fantasy of an abused child. Does that make sense?

No. That's akin to calling Harry Potter the delusional and psychotic imaginings of an infantile orphan.

sassandgroove
06-30-2013, 05:59 AM
@sassandgrove

*spits out drink*

Yeah - I read somewhere - Card said it was part of what has taken it so long, finding a studio who won't do that stuff. He said that they wanted a teen date movie- duh.

dragonjax
07-01-2013, 03:22 PM
No. That's akin to calling Harry Potter the delusional and psychotic imaginings of an infantile orphan.

Completely agreed.

Manuel Royal
07-01-2013, 07:58 PM
No. That's akin to calling Harry Potter the delusional and psychotic imaginings of an infantile orphan.No; you misunderstood me. (Probably because I didn't express myself at all well.) I didn't mean that the story is delusional, within the book; I meant that it's been described as the kind of sociopathic wish-fulfillment fantasy a bright, abused kid might have. That's something that's come up in several reviews I've read.

sassandgroove
07-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Well -isn't a lot of fiction wish fulfillment?

CrastersBabies
07-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Feh, still not sure I agree with all of that. Ender is abused, yes, but he has many dimensions and is not a character who exists on the super light/super dark end of the spectrum. He plays in the shades of gray, so to say.

As for any wish-fulfillment, hmmmm, if they keep the ending in the movie (from the book), I'll go out on a limb and say that I would never wish for that on anyone. :)

Ender does the best he can under the circumstances and is used for his abilities.

Stiger05
07-01-2013, 10:16 PM
I have to agree with Crasters. I don't get wish-fulfillment out of it. At least not out of the book. This is a world I would never want to live in, especially not in Ender's shoes. If the reviews are saying that it is represent a wish-fulfillment fantasy that an abused child might have, I say that's ludicrous. Ender is quite unhappy, alienated, and traumatized for most of the book. I can't imagine any kid, especially an abused one, wishing for that life. Every abused child I've met has fantasies of grand lives where people love them and they're accepted.

Unless I am completely misunderstanding what you're saying.

Conflicteddreamer
07-09-2013, 06:41 AM
It has Harrison Ford in it. It can't be too bad.

shelleyo
07-09-2013, 09:14 AM
http://skipendersgame.com/

I'd decided I wasn't going to see it before they started the boycott, because I just can't bring myself to give him any of my money.

I can't and won't judge anyone who does, but I hope you'll forgive me for hoping it tanks so there's no profit to help fund the NOM's hateful agenda. :\

Kylabelle
07-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Chuck Wendig gives his reasons for boycotting the movie: http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2013/07/09/tolerance-for-intolerance-boycotting-enders-game/

I was pretty distressed when I learned of Card's homophobic politics, and it seems there ought to be a stronger word than "homophobic" for some of the vicious spew that gets sprayed around. I was especially distressed because I always loved his books and especially Speaker for the Dead struck me as an exercise in extreme tolerance. I had a real passage of disbelief, when I found out about Card's stance on marriage etc.

Woe.

Toothpaste
07-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Did you hear about Card's appeal to Entertainment Weekly where he has the nerve to say "Now it will be interesting to see whether the victorious proponents of gay marriage will show tolerance toward those who disagreed with them when the issue was still in dispute"? I really like how this blogger put it (http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2013/07/orson-scott-card-pleads-for-tolerance.html):

Yes, folks, the man who swore to "destroy the government and bring it down" over gay marriage and who declared himself to be your "mortal enemy" now wants YOU to be all noble and forgiving and shit.

Basically: please see my movie, make me money, and be tolerant of me, even though I never was of you.

I was debating seeing this film despite my issues with OSC because I really was curious about it, and I really like the casting. I also realise that there are likely other artists I support with my money who keep quiet about their prejudices and are just as terrible and I just don't realise it. But, you know what? I know about him. I'm not going to go see it. I don't need to see it, and I quite frankly don't need to support this man. He disgusts me. He's pathetic.

shelleyo
07-09-2013, 10:12 PM
I was debating seeing this film despite my issues with OSC because I really was curious about it, and I really like the casting. I also realise that there are likely other artists I support with my money who keep quiet about their prejudices and are just as terrible and I just don't realise it. But, you know what? I know about him. I'm not going to go see it. I don't need to see it, and I quite frankly don't need to support this man.

That's how I feel. It's not his opinions that bother me. (Well, it is, but that's a different issue.) It's that he's a board member of NOM, he's made outrageous statements about keeping sodomy illegal and making examples of certain people to discourage gay behavior, and that he uses his money and celebrity to push agendas that want to roll us back a couple of centuries. I'd feel like I was giving money to NOM, the Mormon church, and other groups that push discriminatory agendas.

By comparison, Jeremy Irons, someone I've loved a long time, recently made some incredibly stupid and insensitive remarks about gay marriage that showed his true colors. I've no interest in seeing anymore of his movies, but I wouldn't suggest to other people to boycott them. He's just passively ignorant. Card is actively hateful. Makes a bit of a difference to me.

Ari Meermans
07-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Well sure, why not? I have no problem with fattening his wallet so he can further spew his hate. :sarcasm

OSC can take his challenge/plea and stuff it.

ULTRAGOTHA
07-10-2013, 05:04 AM
Popehat has a brilliant blog post on this. It encapsulated my own thinking quite nicely.

I've Decided To Give Orson Scott Card The Benefit of the Doubt! (http://www.popehat.com/2013/07/09/ive-decided-to-give-orson-scott-card-the-benefit-of-the-doubt/)

Unlike Ken White, who is a male heterosexual with children, I'm pretty sure OSC was advocating for my death. Afterall, he was advocating for the overthrow of the government "by whatever means is made possible or necessary" and replace it with a government that would actively work against my right to exist.

Nope. Won't be going. Have stopped reading his books. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the books I bought before finding out about his excrescent views.

colebooks
07-14-2013, 01:25 AM
The casting is flawless, can't wait to see it.

Kylabelle
07-14-2013, 02:24 AM
Lionsgate has made a public statement about the boycott and controversy, reminding everyone of the studio's longstanding support of the LGBT community, and hoping to distance itself from Card's nasty politics (and also protect the movie from tanking): http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/lionsgate-gay-marriage-flap-irrelevant-enders-game-102846

Ken
07-14-2013, 02:38 AM
Well sure, why not? I have no problem with fattening his wallet so he can further spew his hate. :sarcasm

OSC can take his challenge/plea and stuff it.

... pretty much sums it up for me too.
And between us, I rather hope the movie tanks,
though I doubt that'll happen.

mistri
07-14-2013, 03:01 AM
I'd love to see it. Ender's Game made a huge impact on me when I first read it. But then finding out about OSC's bigotry had a huge impact too, and I haven't read anything of his since then.

Must admit, I am tempted. But...

Kylabelle
07-14-2013, 03:10 AM
... pretty much sums it up for me too.
And between us, I rather hope the movie tanks,
though I doubt that'll happen.

Yeah. I guess my ideal scenario is that the movie tanks, bad. Tanks with so much publicity that no one can miss the point that certain stances toward other human beings are simply anathema and too foul to be borne.

Then, later, after everyone has thoroughly gotten the point, the movie becomes available for real cheap in midnight theaters and on DVDs, and we all get to see it. :D Cause I bet it is utterly stunning wonderful and this whole mess is a damn shame.

Lionsgate will not go under because of this; they have enough other (successful) projects to stay afloat, I trust.

lilyWhite
07-14-2013, 03:19 AM
I came across something...interesting today.

Saying that boycotting a movie is intolerant is pretty hypocritical for Card when the National Organization for Marriage (which Card is a board member of) has boycotted Starbucks over an executive declaring support for same-sex marriage. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starbucks#Same-sex_marriage)

Naturally, the website for the Starbucks boycott is still active.

I suspect that any efforts to boycott the movie won't go far; NOM's boycott of Starbucks and the boycott of Chik-Fil-A by supporters of same-sex marriage both failed miserably.

Ken
07-14-2013, 04:40 AM
Yeah. I guess my ideal scenario is that the movie tanks, bad. Tanks with so much publicity that no one can miss the point that certain stances toward other human beings are simply anathema and too foul to be borne.

Then, later, after everyone has thoroughly gotten the point, the movie becomes available for real cheap in midnight theaters and on DVDs, and we all get to see it. :D Cause I bet it is utterly stunning wonderful and this whole mess is a damn shame.

... would probably employ a similar tactic myself.
Shh ;-)

Carlene
11-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Saw the movie yesterday with my husband. He'd read the book and liked the movie. I thought it was a kids movie produce by Disney or someone like that. I was bored beyond belief but I'm not into Sci Fi. The special effects were good, but most of the movies out now are just special effects and little else. Hollywood is making movies that appeal to kids. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie I enjoyed. Well, I'm a good wife - I go with him and keep my opinions to myself.