A love letter to JAlpha...

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually it's a thank-you note and it's not just to JAlpha. It's to everyone here at the AW Forum, including--maybe "especially" but not in a butt-kissing way--the Forum creators.

Over the past two weeks, I was inspired to write and submit my ms. to an anthology that will be edited by a well-known writer in the erotica genre. It was a difficult process for me because the requested word count (3000-5000) was way out of my previous experience and seemed overwhelming. Also, because I am a procrastinator by nature, I let the call for subs lay around until "later", waiting for the courage to get started.

Finally, I decided to take a chance and... I did it! :snoopy:I finished with 4,580 words (19 double-spaced pages), a properly-formatted ms., and a competent cover letter. I mailed it all with an SASE on Saturday.

It took five drafts (far fewer than my anal-retentive self was comfortable with) for me to get into the rhythmic flow of how my characters wanted to be seen and heard. The last three days were the worst of all. I got about 15 hours of sleep in that whole 72 hour period. I know I nodded off while editing at least twice and almost gave up more than a few times.

But there was something that kept me going, something I saw here on the boards some time ago. It was written by JAlpha and kept popping up in my mind every time I was ready to pack it in. I'm not kidding when I say it kept me chugging along:

"Here's the irony of that statement, I'd put the talented writers who procastinate and don't submit at a very high percentage as well"

So JAlpha, this is for you:
emoteTheWave.gif

(Here's a link to that whole thread for anyone who wants to read it:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24876&highlight=percentage)

This one:Hug2: is for the AW Forum creators because without y'all, we wouldn't be here. (Uh oh. I'm :cry:ing.)

And this one :e2grouphu is for everyone else here because I am truly thankful to have a bunch of folks to share with and learn from who understand.

Really, I couldn't have done it without any of y'all.
biggrin.gif

I'll let y'all know what the outcome is, but like JAlpha shared with me earlier, I've "already won something just by submitting".

Amen.
smile.gif

Last edited:

maggie2

Registered
Reaction score
Way2go! Good luck with the results. Keep us posted.

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your support.:)

I haven't heard anything but I feel okay about that. The thrill was even getting it done. I still can't believe I did it.

Now I feel like it was all a dream in which I observed some other writer's life.:e2cloud9:

Last edited:

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
"Here's the irony of that statement, I'd put the talented writers who procrastinate and don't submit at a very high percentage as well"[/font]
Bless your heart Blisswriter:e2flowers

But, the credit goes to you and YOU alone, and here's why. . .

I have expressed that very same sentiment to a number of writers that I have encountered in writing workshops that I teach, in critique groups, writer's conferences etc. and it often backfires on me--you know, the "shoot the messenger" crowd. Sometimes writers (myself included) don't want to believe that the success of their writing pursuits is within their control; let's face it, it's easier to blame the publishing industry, editors and fickle readers for a writer's sluggish success.

I don't think what I said is as important as the fact that you were ready to hear it.

Congratulations! There's no looking back now, you've discovered the BIG secret to becoming a successful writer--YOU :Clap:

rich

Good show, Blisswriter. And ALpha is a good influence, even though she lives in Georgia.

It's good that you're anal retentive when it comes to writing--me too, but I eventually take a laxative.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rich said:
Good show, Blisswriter. And ALpha is a good influence, even though she lives in Georgia.

It's good that you're anal retentive when it comes to writing--me too, but I eventually take a laxative.

HA! Shows what you know, when I adopted my new Asian avatar--earlier this year--I also moved to the State of Meditation:e2tongue:

rich

Hey, I live there too. TM for 31 years. Notice how I'm the least crankiest at the Water Cooler?

It's just that Brooklyn gets in the way.

rich

I'm pondering writing about my first trip to Georgia, Fort Gordon, just outside of Augusta. Army, seventeen years old. Terrible time.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rich said:
I'm pondering writing about my first trip to Georgia, Fort Gordon, just outside of Augusta. Army, seventeen years old. Terrible time.

Hey! Wait a minute. . . my mother told me I was conceived in Fort Gordon--long story.

Daddy Rich, alas I've found you :e2arms:

Sorry Blisswriter, for hijacking your love letter :D

rich

You got hazel eyes, bite your fingernails, (toes too when I was flexible enough) and dream about driving a car when your foot can't find the brake?

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rich said:
You got hazel eyes--Yep!

Bite your fingernails, (toes too when I was flexible enough) -- Nope, but I am extremely flexible :D

Dream about driving a car when your foot can't find the brake? -- That's exactly what that nice officer on Georgia 400 said last week when he gave me a ticket for driving my turbo charged SAAB at 85 MPH. . . "Gee, Lady, your foot having a hard time finding the brake?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Only six weeks later... sorry!)

Excellent news, blisswriter! Can't wait to hear how it goes. A mountain well-climbed!

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Many thanks to everyone. It's wonderful to have a support system, even if it's mostly virtual. :Hug2:

I'm currently re-writing a short sci-fi that I've subbed twice and gotten two rejections. It's not a major re-write. I'm mostly taking out adverbs. :ROFL:(You know who you are and thank you. :D)

I'm also waiting for a check for a sale, my first of the year. :snoopy:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Bliss. This is a strange business, mostly based on internal drive and self-motivation. It's easy to keep shuffling those aces to the bottom of the deck and never play them. Here's to a hand with all four aces up, for you. Let us know when the news comes through and you rake those chips into your pile.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
A big conrats and hugs to you Blisswriter :Hug2:

But now the irony of the wonderful positive hidden forces of this forum have turned in my direction; your good news has inspired and lifted my spirits today :) I'm seven months into the process of seeking an agent and/or publisher for my first novel. Truth be told, I'm having a great deal of success with my query--partials out everywhere in all directions. BUT, everybody . . . agents and publishers alike, are really taking their sweet time. I'm averaging 4 months for a reply to my queries to agents, and one publisher has had my full manuscript for 5 months.

I know this is all within the norm, but that doesn't lesson my impatience, which has been mounting day by day. And then comes your post, which has nudged me to be more patient--good things do indeed come to those who wait, AND SUBMIT!

Again a HUGE congrats and many good vibes for more success with your writing, and SUBMISSIONS:D

Last edited:

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
an update

Hey good folks at Absolute Write! I hope y'all are enjoying the warm summer days and keeping clear of any bad weather heading your way.

I just wanted to drop by with an update on this one...

Can y'all believe I haven't heard a word back from these folks yet? And this is a subsidiary of a major publishing house. I've called and e-mailed but have yet to receive a response. I've also contacted other authors whose work was accepted for this same project and they too have heard nothing after the "congrats" e-mail and the e-mail with the contracts attached.

I've Googled the anthology (and editor) online and it appears that the editor is still working on this project.

I think part of the reason is that the anthology is a part II to an earlier one by the same name. Maybe they don't want to put the second volume out too soon? Or maybe the editor is just swamped and has no clue when the book will go to print. Who knows?

In the meantime, I'm working on my novel :D and other shorter works.

Hugs everyone,:Hug2:

Bliss

p.s. I just referred someone to this forum cuz I know y'all will take really good care of her here. :) She's an aspiring writer who works at our local library.

More later...

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
Thanks for the update, Bliss. Good to know you are working on that novel. GOOD LUCK with your submission. I hope you hear some good news real soon. :)

Sury

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My apologies.

It's been a while folks but I'm back with an update. :)

In June 2009 I was notified (by another writer, not the publisher) that the anthology had been published and was on store shelves. And yes, my story was in it.

As I had not received a signed contract, my check, nor my promised five copies, I got on the horn and shot off a few e-mails.

Turns out it had all been mailed to me a few weeks before. Apparently the publisher had not heeded any of my change-of-address e-mails (nor did they respond to them) so my package was misdelivered.

Thank God we were still living in the same neighborhood. My husband was able to track down the package and all was well.

The pay was good for my first attempt at a long short story. However, with only two updates from the publisher in the three years that elapsed, it was a frustrating wait.