rodeo bullfighters/clowns

reddirtwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
reddirtwriter.tumblr.com
I'm trying to find out how the bullfighters are picked for the National Finals Rodeo. It sounds like there is some kind of vote, but the information is pretty sketchy.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
There are two bullfighters and a barrel man. The two bullfighters are chosen by the riders and are based upon their confidence in the bullfighters. The barrel man is chosen, if I remember right, both by the riders and the promoter. The barrel man is part of the entertainment package for the performance, and has to be able to work the crowd a lot more then the bulls.

Alternates are chosen for each position.

Like any sport, bullfighters start at the lower end of the sport, and gradually work their way up.

Joe Baumgartner for many years had the faith and trust of every bull rider in the US. Most had been saved by him multiple times. You might want to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb5DUni_Bso where he's nailed by a bull.

Bull riding is a family. The competitors are close and they know the bull fighters well.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

reddirtwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
reddirtwriter.tumblr.com
Thanks Jim!
I had my character as a barrel man who has been at it for about six years and is good enough to be chosen for the NFR. But I don't have him doing much with the entertainment. Looks like I need to rethink that part.

I appreciate the info.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
The barrel man is the man with the mic. He heckles the crowd, the announcer, the bulls, and anyone else he can think of.

He's going to have been in the sport a lot longer then 6 years to reach the NFR. He'll have started as a teen (or maybe younger), and done some bronc and bull riding. He'll start working as a bull fighter for friends while they're practicing. He'll graduate from there to local rodeos where he'll be working for free but gaining experience. It will take him a couple of years to get in a hundred or so events.

Once he gets good at the local rodeos, the riders and promoters will begin to notice him and he'll be asked to work at regional events. Eventually he'll start working with the national riders. By this time, he'll have learned how to read the bulls. You need to be able to tell which way a bull is going to go, preferably before the bull knows. He'll probably be approaching thirty.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe