• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

exclusivity

governor_corleone

I have an agent interested in exlcusivity with my manuscript. This in and of itself is not surprising, but he seems really keen on learning names of other agents and editors that have also seen the manuscript. Every communication I have with him ends with the same question: Who else has seen the manuscript?

I have informed him of all interested parties, most of whom are no longer interested. Yet he persists.

Does anyone else have stories like this? Call me naive, but is this the modus operandi for most agents? Should this be raising flags?

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
I recently had an agent ask for a 4 week exclusive on one of my ms, but that's the only time this has happened.

More common is the disclaimer on the publisher's website that says, "no simultaneous submissions". that indicates exclusivity, to me anyway.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
governor_corleone said:
Every communication I have with him ends with the same question: Who else has seen the manuscript?

I have informed him of all interested parties, most of whom are no longer interested. Yet he persists.
Every time? Yeah, that's odd. Have you checked out this agent with Writer Beware?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Agents will be interested in which editors have seen a manuscript. Once it's been rejected, it's unlikely that an editor will re-consider it.
But which other agents have seen the ms. is none of an agent's business.

- Victoria